Is the new vintera modified telecaster pretty much a Baja Tele with a new name ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Owenmoney, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I’ve heard fender discontinued the Baja Tele and then I’m hearing the Vintera Modified Tele specs and it sounds like it’s almost identical except for price ? Is that the case ? I love my two Bajas, and hope they really aren’t discontinued, just changing name and price, of course if I want more I can always look used.. just curious ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I have no direct experience here, but that seems to be the case.

The Vintera 50's Modified seems to be a 50's Baja in new colors and a satin finish on the nect.

The Vintera 60's Modified seems to be a 60's Baja, new colors, slightly slimmer neck, a satin finish neck, and maybe different pickups?

Bajas with slight updates if you ask me.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agree with unixfish: Similar, with a few different specs - specifically they have satin finished necks now instead of gloss finished (on the 50s the fingerboard is gloss and the back is satin).

It seems like the 60s has more changes than the 50s with the different pickups. Fender is calling the neck the "modern C" on the spec sheet instead of the "thick C" of the old 60s Baja - but the ones that have shown up at dealers who measure the necks show them as being a tad thicker than the typical modern C. Of course that could be luck of the draw as Fender necks do vary.

Skydog1010, RadioFM74 and Owenmoney like this.
  4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I talked to the owner at my local shop & the Vintera fills the space left by the Baja but isn't quite the same. The Baja has a custom neck shape & the Vintera a 60's. Close but different. The Baja has US pups, the Vintera has "Newly designed" pups that capture the essence of each period.

Owenmoney likes this.
  5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Thanks everybody,I don’t mind the gloss necks on my two Fifties Bajas, but I think the satin finish will be appreciated by a lot of people, I have it on my Squier Strat and it’s real nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I got the Vintera 60s but I can't compare because I've never played a Baja. The satin feel on the back of the neck is incredible. I love that. Not in love with the fretboard.
    I'm really starting to like pickups and settings. The 4th selection on the switch has been my favorite, and usually I always just play on the bridge.

Owenmoney likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm just glad the "60's Baja" name is going away.

Baja was the righteous term to be applied to the ash bodied, maple boarded, nice and fat neck MIM guitar. The 60s thing should've been called the Classic Player 60s Tele. Once, when you told someone that a guitar had a Baja neck, people took notice and it really meant something. But thanks to some executive OK'ing using the Baja name on the thin necked 60s model, all this street cred was lost.

I resented this.

The name change doesn't undo the harm that was done, but at least the usurping has ended.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Alder bodies on the 50s Teles? People should be rioting in the streets!

heffus likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

The Vintera 50s Mod is exactly the same guitar as the Baja 50s except for the satin finish on the back of the neck. Official confirmation:

The Vintera mod 60s is different from the Baja 60s (sorry for using the name again @boris bubbanov ;) ): pickups are different for sure, the neck I suspect is also different looking at the spec sheet but in this vid they say it’s the same. And the old colors (sonic, CAR and 3tsb) are gone.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. RadioFM74

PS: on the spec sheet the body is reported as “alder or ash” and I strongly suspect that the BSB one is ash like the Baja 50s was.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes it is - if you're on Fender's product page for the 50s Modified the BSB one is $50 more than the other 2 colors, which is Fender's typical upcharge for ash bodies these days (when a model is available with both alder and ash that is - even thought it's an ash body the American Original 50s Tele is still less expensive than the alder bodied American Original 60s Tele due to the 60s one having binding on the body).

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I jest :)

I still hold out hope the FMIC web marketing department here in Scottsdale are lazy as they ever were with online specs.

leonard d rock and RadioFM74 like this.
  13. RadioFM74

My bad. Out with the pitchforks!

14. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

The Vintera modified is a Baja with a price increase. I'm lucky to have my Baja50's from 2007 when I bought it new for $700. It's finished in blonde or honey blonde, and in ash....

Omiewise65 likes this.
  15. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I think, for all intents and purposes, they’re pretty much the same. New name to justify new and higher prices.

leonard d rock, jvin248 and TeleTown like this.
  16. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

(When I'm saying 'Baja' here, I'm referring specifically to what became the 50s Baja...)

I was able to test-play two of the 50s Modified Teles this past weekend (one blue, the other SFG) - very much Baja, with what I consider the added benefit of the satin finish on the back of the neck.
    They're gloss on the fretboard and headstock - personally I would de-gloss the fretboard (much as I did with my Baja).

They felt very Baja familiar - right down to the fact that the two had subtly different necks (which we've discussed here regarding the variance in the Baja necks before): one, attached to the blue model, was a home-run for me to be honest... the one on the SFG model was somewhat thicker through, and therefor not as comfy to my fretting hand.

However, both were very nice, and both very much 'Baja' with the added fun of the different colours.
    Good to know.

17. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Welcome to Fenderville!

marcflores likes this.
  18. myusi

myusi NEW MEMBER!

I have a Baja, and love it, and just picked up the 50's Vintera standard. Difference in tone and frets, but other than that, pretty close in tone. The necks I don't really care about since I sand them all down anyway. Only mods I've made to the Vintera are the neck sanding, compensated saddles, and a Glendale neck plate (the stock plates are so thin they bend). I'd highly suggest taking a look at the Vintera's, they're pretty dialed in.

gwjensen and Owenmoney like this.
  19. theBedroomRocker

theBedroomRocker NEW MEMBER!

I love my Baja Tele and got surprised that Fender discontinued its lineage. Even though this new Vintera 50s Mod Tele is pretty much the same guitar, the name Baja was already a legend... After digging some info, I prepared this video on the now "discontinued" Baja. Hope you guys enjoy it.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Baja has become such a strong brand, with years of positive discussions on forums like TDPRI that they did a disservice to change the name just to bump the price. Now they have to spend all that money marketing the new model where it could have been "we changed the specs for the modern player and their wallet" and everyone carries on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.