Is the new Jeep Gladiator a truck that wants to be a Jeep, or a Jeep that wants to be a truck?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I remember the straight 6 being in them. Most of the used ones I looked at back in the day had been converted to Chev or Ford v8's.

Same as the older Toyota Landcruisers, a lot of them were converted to V8 too.
    It's strange that the Tacoma and hilux Toyotas are so popular yet i don't hear much about the Lancruisers considering the Toyota Landcruiser is a sturdier vehicle.

The hilux variants were considered the lighter duty 4x4 of the two back in the day, I think they still are today.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Simple to work on and lasted forever, at least until rust got it. I’d buy one if it wasn’t a Jeep. I’m in a Jeep family and have had enough of Jeep bad design and reliability.

Milspec likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My 2002 Tacoma double cab was the best vehicle I’ve owned.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My ‘84 CJ7 has the AMC 258 CID I6. Those engines are nearly bullet-proof.

I believe that a version of it still holds the track record at Indianapolis for a I6

Obsessed, 985plowboy and Toadtele like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They are superior in that regard, no argument, but they also cost a ton more for it. The Jeeps of old were spartan vehicles, designed to be easily repaired, washed out with a hose, and reliable. In fact, AMC designed all of their vehicles with the intention that their customers would be doing their own repairs....something that is certainly not supported by any builder today. I lost interest with the Wrangler / TJ platform as soon as it added air conditioning, the second set of doors, and the price tag. They baiscally became the Barbie Jeep in real life. If they would offer the new jeeps in a highly stripped down version, I would give it a go, but they never really have.

It is sort of like what Harley-Davidson has become really. The modern bikes do not represent the older designs, intentions, and certainly have a whole different customer base this time around. Jeep is the same way.

If it wasn't for Lee Iococa outsmarting AMC with the stock buy-out, we would have seen the old style of Jeeps far longer than '86. The Cherokee and the 4.0L engine (an AMC designed motor) would have been the crown jewel for AMC instead of Chrysler.

Whatizitman, hdvades and Gaz_ like this.
  6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I have an ‘84 cj7 as well. That is a great engine. I wanted to like the new truck thing. Not yet. Maybe someday.

7. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

Just found out a friend of mine got the Gladiator yesterday, which I’m really curious to try out. I’m not a pickup guy, but to each their own~

I test drove a 2018 JK 6-speed rubicon last year and was off put by the manual transmission, felt outdated.. (I’m younger than most of the ppl on this forum, but I grew up driving stick since I was 17). Then I tried the 2018 JL 6-speed and was sold! It impressed me how different the whole Jeep felt. 30,000 miles later (in only a year, driving everywhere, every day!) I still love it, even if it has its’ issues. Couldn’t afford the Rubicon but the Sport S is plenty for me. 6CCD35F2-671F-4ACC-B2C3-6B149D18C258.jpeg

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I saw one yesterday, one of the ugliest "trucks" I've ever seen.

They put as much thought into it, as VW did when they hacked the rear end off a bus.

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

jeep-nukizer-715.jpg Chrysler just doesn't get it. They should be building the Scrambler concept that the after-market is building in the AEV Brute as well as the Newkizer prototype they teased everyone with about a decade ago. They would be winning platforms!

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Face facts guys. The biggest market segment today for 4x4s and pickups is sissies trying to look manly. A real man would want an 8 foot box and some hauling capacity, those trucks are a small market now and not worth as much used.

Milspec and imwjl like this.
  11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I love my 2006 TJ. 4.0, 6 speed manual, soft top, and my daily driver. It’ll scream down the road and cover every trail I’ve tried so far. With 31x10.5x15s I still get 15mph

I’m noticing a lot of Mall Crawlers turning up here. $50,000-$60,000 with every add on you could imagine and they will never see anything remotely “off road” on purpose.

Back to the original subject.... I’m not a fan of the Gladiator. It just looks like the design is an almost good idea that just doesn’t work

hdvades likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

An associate who owns an engineering firm had one of the new Jeep pickups briefly and also some new pickups from GM & Ford. He couldn't stand it and got a Honda Ridgeline personally and some GM pickups for his company vehicles.

His complaints were poorly made and crude compared to a Honda he had earlier and that it was "stupid" defined as poor handling loud vehicle without much or any more utility than he has with the Ridgeline. He used to have an old CJ that I think was replaced by a modern UTV.

From the mindset of this mechanical engineer guy I gathered he quickly tired of or lost interest in image and went for what he perceived as practical and pleasant.

The modern Jeeps including this model are very popular in a new rich neighborhood just west of where Blowtorch and I live. Some members of our ski club have these and traditional format models. It's funny when you see the rugged looking modern Jeeps slip sideways on our service road and get passed by a Subaru or Audi.

Edit: I had a 1947 and 1977 Jeep and as a kid remember some families with Wagoneers so the modern ones are a whole different thing for me.

Milspec likes this.
  13. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's an awesome concept...never saw that before. for a spell, Jeep made a 2 door Unlimited similar to the good ole CJ-8 Scrambler...I wouldn't mind finding a clean one.
    IIRC the 4.0 straight 6 was basically a fuel injected 258 CI engine.

Milspec likes this.
  14. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I always liked the old Jeep Comanche, the Cherokee based truck:

1989_jeep_comanche_std_4wd-pic-5645764519113066944-640x480.jpeg

I don't think they could build one on the current Fiat Cherokee platform.

Obsessed, scelestus, duzie and 2 others like this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The last Wrangler I sat in was brand new at a car show and was stickered > $50,000 before a Mall Rat even got his hands on it and started putting expensive aftermarket parts on it.

Maybe they still hold up offroad but it had chintzy plastic fenders and a horrific interior that seemed so cheap I was worried my kid was going to break something in the interior sitting in it with me. It just felt way too cheap to be $50k, everything felt dramatically cheaer than a $20k Honda Civic.

More hilarious with the Mall Crawlers is the amount of show off stickers they have to put on.

If you were actually serious about going offroad I don't know how you justify starting with one of the new ones given the prices.

I had a roommate who was big into offroading before I got married. I never quite got it cause it was megabucks and the jeeps were all dramatically less capable and less durable than a $500 mountain bike. In our at least... it's so forested here you're not getting a jeep down the trail no matter how capable it is unless someone has widened the trail with a chainsaw.

16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Hmmm mm, I wonder how many PRS guitars a dentist can get into one of those Gladiators?

BobbyZ and Milspec like this.
  17. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Is the new jeep gladiator a truck that wants to be a jeep or a jeep that wants to be a truck? From what I've read about Jeep lately it wants to be a domestic appliance with a plug on it since FCA's merger with PSA!:eek:

18. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

1967250E-3859-4D2C-9129-E91E786ACBC3.jpeg Here’s mine .
    Airbags- No
    Anti-lock brakes - No
    Power Steering- No
    Automatic transmission-No
    Rear seat - No
    Do I love it - Hell yeah

FLHT, Obsessed and Andy B like this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Puh.

THIS is a Comanche:

upload_2019-11-11_18-7-19.jpeg

FLHT, Obsessed and duzie like this.
  20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

This was my 1st jeep. (jk) this offroad truck performed! 68 Intl 1200 C.jpg
    Have owned an Cheerokee w/inline 6. Strong engjne.Weak cooling system tho. Have a explorer atm.(fake 4wd imo).My next 4wd will be a another jeep. Lived in So Cal most my life. 5 of 8 cars/trucks I owned were 4x4. I did enjoy off roading a lot. 1st time I took my 8 yr old off roading, told his friends I was crazy!. Tearing down a wash at 50 mph really turns me on.Would had gone faster, but couldn't see very far ahead as it was .

BobbyZ, FLHT, Obsessed and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.