Is the Mini Super Beetle the new Pathfinder 15R?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'd be happy with a 2nd PF15R just as a backup ( though I do have two backup 8" speakers, when needed )

I JUST came home now from a memorial jam gig, ( for a band fan that passed too soon) and my electric gigs are ( always!) a mix of old R&R/ blues/old Country/ Grateful Dead and this Vox amp plus small pedal board (OD always ON, to basically double amp volume + use guitar Volume knob to roll from 'almost clean'>great breakup)
    is just a predictable godsend!
    Just do all 'tone stuff' from the guitar's controls!

LGOberean likes this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't turn down the chance to run my 15Rs through a 1x12 cab. But all of my amps have always been combos, so I've never owned an extension cab, and consequently have never played a Pathfinder through one. However, I have run from the Line Out on the rear panel to a channel on my PA and heard the amp through the system's 12" speakers. The amp onstage was turned toward me, used like a monitor.

Yeah, I haven't played in a band configuration for years. It's all solo, except for the rare opportunity to gig with my brother, who lives 375 miles away. I did use a PF15R Lined Out to a PA with one band configuration, but that was a couple of singers, a second guitar, a fiddle (violin?) and hand percussion, no drum kit. So yours is definitely a different application. To me, the Pathfinder through the mains sounded pretty much as good as the amp itself.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. LGOberean

I play mostly clean most of the time, as in the Pathfinders Gain at around 9 o'clock, and Volume at about 11 or noon, Boost switch left off. I do a lot of volunteer/community service type gigs at various seniors facilities in the area, but also restaurant and coffee shop gigs, so it's a real mixed bag, not always at the same show. I do a lot of Classic Country ('40s, '50s & '60s), Rockabilly, Classic Rock (from Eddie Cochran to Eagles and everything in between), old jazz/pop standards. I also do a bit of blues. And there's a lot of Beatles in my performance repertoire, so I guess that's why the Pathfinder and the Mini Super Beetle appeal to me.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I had a Pathfinder 15R for a few years when I bought my Super Beatle about 6 months ago. Right away I noticed that the Super Beatle had more Vox chime, but the Pathfinder was much louder. I didn't need loud so I reluctantly sold the Pathfinder. Not for the $ - more to show my wife it was a zero-sum space purchase :)

I play a lot of Beatles and the Super Beatle gets that sound better than the Pathfinder.
    My only complaint is the tremolo doesn't seem to change until halfway up and the insanely bright on light. It's blinding - so much that I have to cover it when changing settings.

LGOberean and dswo like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree with the insanely bright blue light when the MSB is on. You either need to turn it off or cover it with your finger to change the settings.

6. LGOberean

Hmmm...interesting. I didn't notice a great disparity between volume levels of the two amps. But then again as I've said, I didn't have the chance to have both amps in the same room.

If I do at some point pull the trigger on the Mini Super Beetle, I can tell you for certain that I won't be selling even one of my Pathfinders. Right now I have two of my Pathfinders in my office/music room/man cave, and a third in the living room with most of my guitars. Out of a dozen guitars, ten are on hangers (5 to a side on opposite walls) in the living room. If I were to buy the MSB, I'd probably keep it in the living room and move the other PF15R to the office, because the Mini Super Beetle just deserves to be seen. I like the looks of my Pathfinders very much, but the MSB is just another rung up the ladder of Vox coolness.

VWAmTele likes this.
  7. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I had the MSB before the Pathfinder, and returned the former because of an overtone that bugged me (and not everyone could hear). You're the first person I've heard from who's played both in the same room, and this comment about the Beatles stuff is making me want one again.

Then I think: if you're going to buy another Vox amp, why not an AC10? I do think the MSB cab is a weak point -- for sound, not looks.

8. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Korg is a Japanese company.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

I played one recently and it sounds nice.

10. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

I had a MSB for a short time. It was the first amp of my most recent foray into electric guitars.

It looks good and sounds good, is quite versatile but in the end, felt more like a posh toy than anything else. It’s light, feels insubstantial and has a blue LED so unbelievably bright that it must be visible from the ISS.

If I wanted more than one amp, I may have kept it. But it wasn’t what I was looking for and I traded it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.