Is the Line 6 DL4 possibly the next "classic" pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jan 19, 2018.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i think so - i've never owned one but it repeatedly shows up on pedalboads of bands i like.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This statement ignores the intentional glitch factor though---8-bit vs 64-bit, etc. I wouldn't apply this to the DL4 though.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

True, I guess, but I also wouldn't doubt you could just use a bit reducer pedal, or even program a newer digital delay to operate at a lower sample rate for that effect.

4. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite all time pedals. I am not a tweaker but I'll tweak that pedal for hours, especially with the expression pedal and reverse delay. Great sounding and very fun pedal.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Product description: "Plug into the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer overdrive effects pedal, and you're plugging into thick and overdriven tube-style tone." "Countless renowned guitarists choose the TS808 Tube Screamer for its smooth, full tone - in the style of overdriven tubes." "Gives you a smooth, full overdrive - in the style of an overdriven tube amp."

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yeah! Just like toob maps and Telecasters! Out with teh olde
    In with teh news!

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose some people feel that a Tube Screamer actually sounds like tubes... The rest of us think of them as a boost for tubes.
    But I have no idea what this has to do with Line 6 making great emulations of other pedals.

codamedia likes this.
  8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

It does apply to the DL4. It's a pretty lofi device already by today's standards. I know musicians who use a DL4 as a looper because of it's limitations (only 14 seconds of looping time, loops fade and degrade with repeats) compared to other loopers available now.

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Simple analysis/measurement shows that the Tube Screamer adds distortion to the signal. But don't even bother presenting that here. Most people just take the product name literally and think it actually makes the tubes "scream".

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

The DL-4 is a great petal. Usually something that becomes classic either remains the same with no/few changes (i.e. SLO-100) or goes out of production and is too expensive or not that easy to replicate (RE-201).

Since it's a digital petal it may remain popular but it will probably be surpassed by something newer. I mean, technically the SPX-90 is a classic, but I don't know anyone scrambling to buy them.

11. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

DL-4 is one of the best delays I've tried. It's fun to mess with too. I've done the following mods:
    • Volume drop mod
    • Dotted eighths switch mod
    • Looper switch mod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I think it already is a classic, if not a modern classic at least. I've never had one. It looks a little intimidating with all the knobs. I've picked up a few things from Bill Frisell but not that one - yet. I'm a sucker for delays though, got six of them.

13. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

It is not a classic because the switches go wonky long before they should. Twenty years from now no one will have a working, vintage DL4. :(

14. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

I think it will be (already is?) a classic just due it's affiliating with the Edge and being featured on numerous U2 recordings. The fact that it has an almost endless list of glaring issues (for todays standards) doesn't really take anything away from that, it almost adds to the mojo in some strange way. - Would a Fuzz Face be the same if it wasn't super picky about input impedance, stage temperature, and gain structure of the amp?

I had a couple of DL-4s over the years, and ended up selling them because they significantly degraded the dry signal when in the signal chain. That was a clear deal breaker for me.

I had one of those too, purely for the lo-fi pitch shifting effect. That sound is dated now, but for people looking for that thing there's nothing out there like it.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Ed O'Brien was on "That Pedal Show" recently, it was a really amazing show.

The DL4 is clearly really important to him and Radiohead.. he manipulates it like crazy. In terms of "it's not classic, it's emulating the classics", his delay setup when he was on the show was:

Big Box Vintage Deluxe Memory Man + Modern Deluxe Memory Man 1100 (Probably the NOS Panasonic Tap Tempo one) + Line 6 DL4.

So it probably belongs as being described as a classic alongside the Memory Man.

There is plenty of material on the Edge's rig but I didn't realize he was using the DL4, a lot of his classic sounds predate the DL4's release. I thought he was more Deluxe Memory Man and TC 2290.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.