is the Jimmy Page "mirror" telecaster about as close as I can get to a non-custom shop 1959 tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Alex W, Jun 8, 2020.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I have 1 Tele and 1 Strat, and they are these models.

And they are awesome.

Clifton C, 57fenderstrat and Alex W like this.
  2. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

The NON CS version to me sucks. I haven't touched mine since November.

3. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Dang, now I know more about these than I ever thought I would....

Thanks?

Alex W and 57fenderstrat like this.
  4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Do you actually play guitar or just buy a new one every week?

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The line you are referring to was called the American Vintage Series, not the Pure Vintage Series.

Pure Vintage is the name of the accessory parts line that came out along with the AV Series in late 2012.

Pure Vintage parts still exist, and continue to be used on the AO Series, in addition to being available separately.

6. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

As far as the fret dots being too white all you need to do is get a brown dry erase marker. color in the dot and leave it for 5-10 seconds then wipe off. Keep doing this until you get the desired coloring. I have done this on most of my RW boards and they turned out great.

nojazzhere and Alex W like this.
  7. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Saw that....the seller is about a 10 minute drive from me.....DANG!

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Could you go and check it out for me? Give it a quick noodle and see if it howls? Then report back? ;)

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

How about PLAYING the guitar and putting your own blood, sweat, and tears into making it a soulful guitar?

10. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

heffus, GK34, Lochry and 4 others like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love that saying - "Plays like butter." I understand the reference, and what it means, but my my OCD sarcasm riddled brain always responds "Hey! How come we've never played butter before?"

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. wildOGpizza

wildOGpizza TDPRI Member

I ended up getting a Page Mirror Telecaster for the reasons that it checked all the boxes I was looking for and no other options did. I wanted nitro finish, rosewood fretboard, an ash body, 7.25" radius board, vintage frets, in something like white. I looking at American Originals or thin skins, but this one had everything I wanted.

It bothered me a little that it's a Page signature model since I've never been a big led zep fan. I don't not like them but never even had an album. Ithought about getting a different neck plate. I got a demo model from Sweetwater for 1999 plus tax and such. They sent me a different guitar than in the ad, and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Gripes are it wasn't set up that well, had to mess with the truss rod right off. The pick guard is pretty thin and it seems a few screws holding it in are a little off from straight. They pull the guard to leave a slight gap in 2 places. The strap it comes with has rivets that seem like they would scratch the paint so unusable. It does seem like it should have an orange case inner. It's maybe too white? I feel like Liberace or something when I open it lol. But I fixed the action, set it up, made a strap I like. I like that it comes with a tweed case vs the plastic one, and the red isn't terrible.

Overall it's pretty awesome.

neilybob100 and Alex W like this.
  13. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

That listing for the 62 from Dave’s does say slab board. For the record, I don’t think anyone has ever been disappointed by a price, service, setup or anything from Dave’s. And their stock/selection is as good as it gets (no affiliation - just very satisfied with the two electric guitars I’ve bought from there).

If I were the one shopping for it, I’d probably contact them to verify the fret-size on that one. Medium Jumbo seems off for that one. Would have expected some version of “vintage tell” a 6105 or similar from other 62 FSR Teles and Strats they’ve listed. Sounds like OP wants vintage-spec. Which again, the Page seems hard to beat.

Since it was brought up, fret dot markers are not difficult to explant and you could even make your own (readily available in powders that you could tint to taste). Not that I have anything against marker or other techniques, but it’s a fun thing to do and, to me, is the kind of thing you can do yourself to make more of a connection with your instrument.

neilybob100 and Alex W like this.
  14. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Pretty sure that isn't what makes a guitar soulful........plus I will be dead before I can put 60+ years of aging into a guitar naturally.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

With the availability of quality parts and good information, there's really no reason you can't build your own. That will get you exactly the specs you want.

baiff, nojazzhere and 68tele like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only expression I like better than "Plays like butter" is "Slick as snot".......
    makes me want to take my hands OFF a guitar and say "YEWWWWW!"

Kloun, neilybob100 and jsalvaggio like this.
  17. Catatafish

Catatafish TDPRI Member

I never could find an alternative that had a 7.5 radius, rosewood, top loader, and the kicker was the tease of the "custom JP pickups". I really craved that '69 live sound he had. So I got the mirror Tele.

Whatever you do, do not play this guitar with a long sleeve red shirt!!!

I love mine but wished I had known about all the quirks of nitrocellulose before playing it in anything other than a white shirt. And yeah, it really nails the tone of those '69 Danish concerts with the right fuzz.

neilybob100 and whoanelly15 like this.
  18. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

I think it is.

19. pagecaster

pagecaster Tele-Meister

Been about 11 years since ive been here.
    I finally got my namesake...THE PAGECASTER, thanks to all the super knowledgeable cats who helped inform me over the last 17 years, AND to all the Diy haters, without them id never have truly learned the difference quality can make.
    I have been dreaming of this guitar since before i could play and now i have it.
    I bought brand new from a store in canada for $7350. I own a 1981 les paul custom, 1992 57avri stratocaster.
    The Fender Customshop journeyman relic mirror telecaster, is hands down the nicest tele under 15 grand that i have played. I am completely biased of course because im a huge page fan and been chasing this tone from the start. So why the customshop?
    This guitar is not for everybodys budget, the jp les pauls came out at similar price points in my teens 7500$ now in my 30's they go for 14grand. I bought this guitar over the course of a year making 700$ payments. I had gone in to buy the artist series jimmy page tele when my financing was denied...THANK GOD.
    i ended up waiting and saving. Now while the artist series was a great telecaster it was in the price range of my strat, i always like to double up (upgrade) guitars value. So 3850 seemed very fair, it played ok for a 4 grand tele, but if you have had the pleasure of playing real 62' or even masterbuilt guitars from rob thorn then it really doesnt stack up, but a good tonal palette for any zep head.
    When they announced the customshop mirror tele i instantly had GAS. i emailed fender to find out what would be different. There are three mirror teles. Artist series 3850$ customshop team build 7350$ and the paul waller masterbuilt( price negotiable 25-119000$) i did try to get the paul waller but you had to buy the dragon as well 50000 list, and now theyre flipping for 119000$ for the pair (because technically its a page art piece) anyways when they announced the customshop team build (the apprentices to the masterbuilders) was gonna be oversawn by paul waller i got super excited. Here was as close as i was gonna get. Fender told me that the guitar is made in the customshop w their tools and their first choice of all the sick tone wood. They have a template w specific wood grain pattern that they painstakingly use to find an identical wood pattern. They use an offset 2 piece ash body w thin nitro which really lets you see the grain. 6.7lbs. Flat sawn neck w veneer indian rosewood (my only gripe, no Brazilian rosewood slab) you could find one and swap it but why would you) the hand rolled edges make this THE BEST tele neck ive ever played, it feels like an old friend that you can play w your eyes closed. The pickups are the same as the masterbuilt, hand wound 58 pickups wound to jimmys spec. Dont quote me but i believe the customshop page tele are limited to 3000. Anyways the light relicing is fantastic and very unique (ive played 6 customshop mirror teles) they all have unique relicing and weigh from 6lbs -7.8lbs i think they even sound a slight bit different from each other. The one i picked was 6.7lbs and had some tasteful relicing under the bridgeplate. This guitar has alot of work done by hand and its built by tomorrows masterbuilders. If you like zeppelin, teles, and been curious about custom shop then here you go. What really caught me off guard was the quality of the custom shop from the almost t.v yellowing of the Olympic white finish, to how ALIVE the pickups sounded. The artist series was a little dark and muddy to my ears. The 58' handwound was alive, expressive, vibrant in a way ive only heard in vintage 50-60's fenders, idk how they did it. The jimmy page signature is very small in the headstock w the classic customshop stamp.
    Another thing, it is the most resonant, and vibrating guitar ive ever played. I single note rings for 20 seconds unplugged it insane. Ive done the diy pagecasters w don mare pickup on a mexican tele its not worth it...this guitar is. Collector or player this guitar is for both. I also picked up the sundragon standard edition amp and replaced the tubes with Nos tubes to get closer to the limited edition sound. You take this customshop page mirror tele, pair it w the standard edition sundragon amp, w a tone bender, vox wah-wah, mxr phase 90, w plate reverb and i **** you not you have THE zeppelin I tone. For 7 grand if your around my age you probably have a bunch of guitars and amps laying around that you could trade in to atleast get 50% of the way there. Then just make monthly payments and sacrifice, trust me its worth it

Attached Files:

KelvinS1965 and SlickCity like this.
  20. SlickCity

SlickCity TDPRI Member

Congrats. That is a beauty!
    I’ve been trying to land the production line model as my one and only rosewood board Tele.
    CS would be sweeter but definitely out of my league. Been sitting on the fence trying to figure just how much larger this oval C neck is compared to the Original 60s C, if you could even find one.
    That’s a lifer for sure. Enjoy in good health.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.