Is the headstock on the American Original '70s Telecaster Custom not accurate to vintage specs?...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RobertDotCalm, May 24, 2020.

1. RobertDotCalm

RobertDotCalm TDPRI Member

I have a question about the headstock on American Original '70s Telecaster Customs. In looking at the headstock on those guitars, they have the word "Custom" in a cursive font. However, when looking at actual vintage Customs from the '70s, they seem to have a block-letter font that says "Custom." I've looked on Reverb, ebay, and other sites, and searched for every year from the '70s, and can't find one example with that cursive font used on the American Originals. Am I missing something, or are the headstocks on American Original '70s Telecaster Customs not accurate to actual vintage instruments?

I've included pictures for comparison. The American Original headstock in on top. An actual vintage headstock is on the bottom...
    Custom Script.jpg Custom Block.jpg

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  2. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

there are some instances of the AVRI 72 custom series (and custom shops too) which have the non-cursive font. the only ones i have seen like this were 2011 and earlier. i prefer that logo myself. the cursive looks cheap, IMO

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Well the American Original isn't supposed to be a dead-on accurate reissue anyway - they deviate from vintage-spec by having a 9.5" radius and larger frets to begin with. So I guess they decided to use the cursive font they use on the MIM Vinteras (and used to use on the MIM Classics). In all honesty I have no idea why they used the cursive font on them instead of the block font, because like you I have never seen an original with anything but the block font.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    horseman308 and Piotr like this.
  4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Going back to the nineties and noughties, the Mexican '72 Tele Custom (0137500/7502) and the Japanese '72 headstock also had the cursive font.
    Fender must (?) have used it once upon a time in the 70's.

5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Pretty sure it varied.

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Man, I'd be more worried about the truss rod nut not being an accurate copy of the original! <sarcasm intended>

Si G X likes this.
  7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I believe that the very earliest 1972 guitars had the CUSTOM portion in cursive and since they have named the reissues as 72s that's the way that they went for the decals. I have a very late '72 or very early '73 and mine is in caps so I think Fender must have done away with the cursive version very early in the run of actual Customs. I've never seen an origin with the cursive logo in person, only in a few books.

8. RobertDotCalm

You're right, I've also seen the cursive font on AVRIs from years ago, but again, never on an actual vintage Telecaster Custom.

9. RobertDotCalm

Good point about the guitars not being dead-on accurate. But while I understand changing things like fingerboard radius and fret size to make it more playable, I don't see why they couldn't make the look of the headstock more accurate. Especially considering it's an aesthetic thing and should be pretty easy to replicate.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  10. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

To add to your list, the Squier vm version had the same font.

11. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

The cursive thing I find irritating, but I have today learned that apparently it was used initially. I'd like to see more evidence of that. The other way this new one varies from original spec is a nitro top finish. In some ways I like the spec of this new model more than the originals.

12. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My '73 is nitro. Supposedly they still used it for the bursts at that point in time. Can't find my pictures right now but there is almost no red visible on the front of mine and it's still bright red under the pickguard.

13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

And I am now officially leaving this forum.

jh

Clifton C likes this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

no, they aren't accurate to actual vintage instruments....they need you to have a reason to spend 4 grand for a custom shop.

15. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

16. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

vintage-1972-fender-telecaster-custom_1_ced980fe8fb5740c2ebfb2290f32b22d.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.