1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Or maybe just:

[​IMG]

kelnet and william tele like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wait, are you saying the someone's got a smuggler's cavity?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

I spent years trying to find the right 'Tele'. I had always been a huge fan of the instrument, its beauty, elegance, and simplicity just seemed so perfect.

I must have played nearly every Tele-style guitar in a large radius of the Seattle area. This included Custom Shop fenders, Nash, and a bunch of others. Then one day I waltzed into Tommy's in Everett, Washington and happened upon a brand new G&L ASAT Classic Alnico. I plugged it in and it was love at first note. My wife loved the sound too. I didn't even haggle on the price, just took it home and I still play it more than any other guitar. To me, it is the best 'Tele' I have ever played. Here is the picture of it leaving the G&L factory:

Attached Files:

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

For years I'd wanted an ASAT. Not a Tele copy but one with MFDs. Now I have one.

The body shape says Tele style and that's where it ends. It's definitely it's own thing and that's good.

asat2.jpg

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

An ASAT Classic with Alnico pickups is pretty darned close - a competent player could easily cover any differential between it and a Fender Template Tele.

But in many ways this is like the straw house and then someone extracts one straw at a time, on and on - at which point does it cease to be a straw house?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Sorry...
    I got here late (or posted months ago and forgot.)
    Check this phrase... “my ultimate guitar is the one I don’t know I’m playing.”
    The most/least noticable guitar I’ve ever played (get that,? played) is my shoreline gold ASAT.
    Not a salespitch... and not because I own it (I’ve owned many brands...) it just disappears in my hands.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

It's a Leo Fender, do you need more than that? My ASAT Special is about as far away from chicken picking as you can get, fortunately I play jazz and blues where it absolutely shines.

Good luck, you'll find your guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.