Is the Epiphone Valve Jr. craze over?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by emu!, Apr 18, 2012.

1. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

It is like asking if the Ford Model T craze is over.:)
    The Valve Junior was just the beginning of a craze that has not slowed down since it arrived.

2. pharmdawg67

pharmdawg67 TDPRI Member

Just picked up one for 90.00 bucks ..I have a champ 600 but havent modded it..ive done some mods to a blues jr and i just finished building a tweed champ from a kit...kind of found that i enjoy the build and mod projects....anyone know of a great place on the net to look for mods and types of mods..for the Valve jr

3. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

I just got mine back in a trade. Sold it on craigslist about a year ago. I put my POS Squire VM Mustang on Clist and a fellow calls up and wants to swap for a E V Jr. I said aok. He brought it over and we swap. Low and behold it's the same one I sold off a year ago. Sweet. Anywho I'll play with it again for a while then flip it.

4. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased a V2 model a few years back, and modded the crap out of it; including a Hammond 125CSE output transformer and swapping the stock 12AX7 for a NOS Sylvania 12AY7 tube (slightly more headroom).
    I ended up giving it to a MUCH better guitar player....my youngest daughter's boyfriend.

5. Epiphony

Epiphony TDPRI Member

- removed by user as duplicate -

6. Epiphony

Epiphony TDPRI Member

--

I know this is an old thread but if you happen to see this post please PM me. My question is if the mod you are talking about is using a Plexi SE PCB (with two 12AX7 and one 6V6) from a web site called GuitarAmplifierPCBs.com.

If that's what you did, I need help to build the same kit, please respond!

Thank you!

7. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Mine is heavily modded and sounds great. I use it just about everyday. My Zoom G3 into it is wonderful.

8. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I've wanted one of these for a long time and I just found a guy selling a version 2 combo on CL for $15. He let it go so cheap because it sounded terrible. He figured it was probably a tube thing but I guess he wasn't willing to try swapping them out. I replaced the preamp tube when I got it home and it sounds great now. Especially through my 2x12 cabinet!

9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I hot-rodded and modified mine, and then I got bored with it.

I learnt what I needed to learn before modifying bigger and better amps.

It was a learning tool like a model kit.

The model had quite a long run but I don't know if they're even still in production. Stores no longer keep product sitting on the shelves if they're not moving, it is a waste of capital so they re-order on demand. If you want one then try looking on-line.

10. lordraptor1

lordraptor1 TDPRI Member

a little late to teh party here i know but i will have to say that no the craze isnt over it is just that most people already have one. with that said, there are a lot of cheap ones out there BUT the bone factory stock ones do seem to have a collector following and i have seen some people pay through the nose to get a bone stock unmodified VJ. modded ones are a dime a dozen and the really rare birds are the factory stockers LOL.

on one last note, those complaining about the stock VJ tone sorry to hear that you dont like it but that is what happens when you become tone deaf from all those crappy fender amps past and present :lol:

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say "put a fork in it" now that the Valve Junior is no longer being manufactured.

I thought is was silly to spend $100 for an amp and then change every part in it back when they were $100.

I don't know why there isn't a Traynor TS-15 craze. You might point out they're not in production anymore and they're not even a tube amp. I might point out it only takes a few minutes to punch some holes in one and convert it to a tube amp. :idea:

I just got a roached one for ten bucks. :cool:

12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I just saw one at my local "trading post" listed for... hear this... $250!!!! :rolleyes: hahaha

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, the Epi VJr and the Fender Champ 600 were kind of a craze there for awhile, and yes, they sounded horrible stock, but they started a good trend IMO and evolution (maybe?) for low watt amps over the last 5 years or so. I know someone that is collecting the VJrs, which my buddies and I think is nuts.

I enjoyed reading over this old thread on a Sunday morning with some coffee, so thanks lordraptor1 for reviving it (I know some hate to see these old threads).

14. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

How about a "vintage" review from 2007 then.
    pretty useless and uninspired, imo. ouch!

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Ouch alright. Maybe YT gear reviews have evolved too? That was so uninspiring and probably uninspiring for the reviewer as well, but that is what that amp is.

16. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

I miss my old Epi VJ head and cab. The cabinet was a bargain and a half!

All I did was put in a 12AY7 tube, and used an eq pedal and the amp sounded really good.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Never understood why so many people got woodies over that thing, I thought it sucked.

18. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My has been BitMo'ed. Just crank it and use your guitar to shape the tone. It's good for practicing at home. Doesn't sound too bad to me. I'll keep it.

19. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

You couldn't prove it by the local pawns, they still price them at $125-$150.00.

20. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Still a great mod platofrm

Epiphone Valve Junior is still a great modding platform. Sounds good and a nice little tube amp for what it is. If you have a bone stock one, I guess it could be called collectible now lol.. The video above sounds like crap. I have the Red Face one with the separate cab with Eminence speaker and it sounds soooo much better than the video one.

Not sure why some are saying this thing sounds bad, mine (with an eq pedal) sounds almost as good as my 78 Fender Musicmaster and almost as good as a couple other tube amps I have. Still sounds better than the SS amps I have.

This amp really kicks out some tube tone and gets crunchy when pushed past 6/7.

You could do a ton worse than an Epi Valve Junior. Put the right pedals in front of it and sounds great.

Decent quality tube amps that are easy to mod and affordable will always be in demand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.