Is the Epiphone Valve Jr. craze over?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by emu!, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I'm in a similar boat. Mine has 5E3 based circuit, and 4, 8, 16 taps. Since it has 2, 6V6 in it now, I couldn't fit the stock speaker in there, but I did manage to stuff the stock speaker from a Frontman 15 in there. Most of the time It outputs to a speaker cab of some sort.
    [​IMG]

2. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

and your thread title "Is the Epiphone Valve Junior Craze Over?"

I still use mine on a regular basis, though its on the bench right now for modding.

Now, on to the second part. Is the craze over? Yes, its been gone since they stopped retailing them. The cult is still there, modding them 7 ways from Sunday as long as they're still on the secondary market (CL, Ebay, Pawnshop).

Its fine to bash them, they aren't the greatest stock. but lets put this into a more proper perspective. look at the sears catalog for 1963 and their silvertone with 8 inch speaker and 5 watts was 38.95 cash.(ty silvertone world) inflation adjust the cost of the epiphone valve junior combo and it would have retailed for less than $20 in 1963(google inflation adjustment calculator). what were you expecting of an amp that cost less than a sears silvertone?

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If I'm payin' for something no matter how little I pay I expect a minumium level of integrity and engineering. It would cost Epiphone nothing to swap around the couple parts they should have changed.

...many if not most '63 Silvertones function as well today as they did in '63. No modifications required.

4. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

your minimum level of integrity and engineering expectations of the valve junior were established after a group of people spent unpaid time studying the design, fixing the problems, and sharing their results with the world after the product was in the marketplace.

that post-sale r&d cost epiphone nothing, paying someone or a group to do the same before they sold unit 1 does cost money.

would you invest that in your entry level item in a product line that is a sideline to your main business? at that price point? not if you want to make money.

5. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

The amp is fine and very usable, for its intended purpose, in a stock form.
    It can be made quite a bit better with a little effort, a little money, and a little bit of fun.
    Way too much over thinking on this little guy.
    Best

6. 3screw

3screw Tele-Meister

They did in fact make several changes. Version 2 had better filtering to fix the bad hum. Version 3 was the best with a better matched OT and a few changes to the circuit. Takes just a few easy mods to to make V3 sound great if you're handy with an iron. In fact, just cutting out 1 jumper wire (JP1)can make a big improvement, no soldering.
    The big craze may be over, but I still love playing through mine after several years.

7. Carlsoti

Carlsoti TDPRI Member

I still play mine on occasion. It's got a bunch of mods, mainly stuff pulled from SEWatt to suit me. I love EL84s. It's almost unhealthy. My EVJ was built so I could get some real "feel" happening when I can't turn up my M/B Rocket 44.

BTW, Hi, everybody. This is my first post on TDPRI. I came over here to take a look at BillM's breakdown of the new Fender Pawnshop Excelsior. I've followed a few threads hear in the past. In Particular, the Carbon Fiber reso/Tele thing a guy built from scratch.

8. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Welcome Carlsoti

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Umm... no.

It's not like I couldn't see the design flaws at a glance. Anyone can hear the noise and hum. It could be a lot more complicated and I could still figure out which direction I wanted to go in. Primary source here. I don't often need someone to help me figure things out.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

As an amp, it was garbage. As a reverb unit, it's divine.:lol:

11. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I just picked up the cab and really like it! Sounds much better than the more expensive BH cab I have which I am now selling. Tolex not as good but I don't gig anyway.

12. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

Epi Valve Jr.

They don't make them anymore. But if you can get a version 3 head, do it. Run it through a 12" that doesn't push the bottom. Version 1 was awful. Version 2 was better. Version 3 got it right. The way to tell the difference is ver. 1 and 2 had 8 digit serial numbers. Ver. 3 has 14, and there's no white markings on the on-off switch. For 100 bucks, it's great. And you can mod the thing to death. These things are about to catch a second wind. I'm looking for another one just to do the mods to it. But if you put a limiter pedal or equalizer in front of it, or run a guitar pre-amp (Digitech, Pod, etc) to it, you're in business. This a great little amp.

13. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

I picked a version 3 up a few weeks ago. I love it. Looking for a couple of ver. 2's or 3's just to try the mods. I got the amp and cabinet for $120. on CL. If you can get your hands on Boss LP-1 limiter, it makes a huge difference in this amp. You won't need an overdrive pedal at all.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

had 1 combo and 2 heads. sheer crap.

15. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I had the latest version of the head and the 112 cab. Clipped the JP1 jumper on the board to make it a bit brighter and less muddy. I had an RCA 6BQ5 and a Amperex Holland 12AX7 in it and an alnico 12 in the cab that I pulled out of a '59 RCA Victor phonograph.

Sounded like a different amp than it did stock. A lot better. With a Barber Barb EQ, a whole lot better. Especially the black face setting.

16. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Here are some photos of my V3 head. The board is black and the transformers have these stickers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Board

[​IMG]

DADGAD likes this.
  17. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I am not into modding amps and I never liked the stock tone so
    I never got into the Epi's to begin with.

The amp I see that everyone seems to want now is the Yamaha THR-10.

18. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Great amp,but I'd rather have the Fender Champ 600. ....Oh wait I do.

19. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

A few mods open 'em up quite a bit ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

20. 3screw

3screw Tele-Meister

That's not modding. That's called building a new amp in a VJ enclosure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.