1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is the Boss OS-2 really like having a SD-1 and a DS-1 in one box?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Sep 30, 2020.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

How faithful is it to the sound of the individual pedals? Asking for a friend. ;)

2. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

No.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Short and sweet. :lol: Thanks.

4. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I have the SD-1 and the OS-2 and find the drive sound of the latter to be pretty similar to that of the former. I've never owned a DS-1, so I don't know how similar the distortion side is, but I do like it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Has your friend sought help?

On a side note, or maybe the right note....I have not found the OS-2 to sound like the SD-1, just doesn't seem the same but maybe it is. Not a huge fan of the DS-1 so can't really say if its close or not.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

the os-2 is kinda like a jack of 2 sounds master of none thing. theres also a reported low output problem. on the other hand, the od-3 can go from od to ds range but not really with a middy sd-1 sound and a mid-scoop ds1 sound. the od3 is also loud

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  7. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

Both my OD-3 and my OS-2 are pretty loud. Regarding the middy tone on the OS-2, clipping C6 helps a lot. I've done it to my SD-1 as well. Happy with the result.

leonard d rock likes this.
  8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don’t know but it’s good. Plenty of variety.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I just got an OS-2 late last week, and finally spent some time yesterday looking under the hood, and tweaking some things.

For starters, neither 'side' is 1:1 with either the SD-1 or DS-1:
    • The tone control itself is shared by both
    • The DS-1 side has a hardwired variation of its tone circuit prior to the mix ('color') control
    • The DS-1 side doesn't have the initial transistor gain stage like the real deal does
    • The DS-1 side has a pair of high pass filters similar to a Rat, and the real deal doesn't have that
    • The SD-1 side has a ridiculously small (IMO) input cap, vs. the real deal, that thins things out too much
    • The SD-1 side has differences in its EQ shaping, beyond just the input cap
    IMO, in stock form, mixing the two (via the color control), just isn't that great, because the emphasis throughout most of its range seems to favor the SD-1 side. And modding it simply to make the SD-1 and DS-1 sides in isolation, sound as good as they can, is an exercise in futility, because the purpose of the OS-2's design (IMO) is to be able to blend the two, and hopefully get a great composite sound.

...Well, they both 'share' the same gain/drive control too, which represents a compromise that is tricky to design around IMO, because the odds of having the appropriate amount of gain/drive for each side is a gamble. IOW, when I turn up the gain and then adjust the color more towards OD or then dist, I find myself endlessly twiddling with the gain/drive back and forth.

I did some mods to the DS-1 side to make things a little less intense with its treble and bass emphasis, and to relax the clipping intensity just a bit. I also made its pair of highpass filters match the Rat's 1:1.

I did some mods to the SD-1 side to make it just a bit less thin sounding, and tighten up the clipping just a bit, and again make the clipping intensity more gradual, depending on how hard you pick or attack the strings.

Lastly, I did some mods to try and maximize the usability of the color knob. This is a work in progress, and there will always be a bit of compromise of the blend of OD and dist, and no two users are going to find the same settings to work as well for their individual needs.

Oh - one other thing. The OS-2 uses a 'low fidelity' 1458 op amp for gain/drive duties. When I replaced it with 'anything superior,' while fooling around with mods & tweaking, I started to get oscillations around 2:00 or so on the gain/drive dial (and higher). And even with the stock chip, you can hear things sounding kind of misbiased or weird, at certain combinations of drive/color. This latter thing IMO can actual be kind of cool, but I imagine it'll be sort of a caveat for some users. Anyway, my recommendation is to stick with the 'inferior' factory-supplied op amp, unless someone is the type of modder/tweaker who wants to drive themselves a bit nuts.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  10. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I like the OS-2 quite a bit. I think it's a good pedal. But the whole "it's a DS-1 and a SD-1 in one box!" thing needs to die. The OD side is close, but the both the OD and (certaintly) the distortion have some significant differences that distinguish them from the other two circuits. I like the OD side of the OS-2 a lot. I like its brightness and it seems to work well at higher gain levels. I can get a lot of sizzily, lively goodness with it, and being able to mix in a touch of the hard clipping can push that idea a bit further. I dig it a lot. But it doesn't sound exactly like an SD-1 in full OD mode or exactly like a DS-1 in full distortion mode.

If you're looking for the SD-1 sound, buy an SD-1. If you want a DS-1, get a DS-1. If you want a hybrid pedal that mix those general types of sounds, or happen to like the particular take on OD or distortion that OS-2 offers, then you should get an OS-2.

leonard d rock likes this.
  11. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

I really wanted to like this pedal when I tried it years ago, but this was impossible really for me, at least in stock form

12. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

no

13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Deleted

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I finally had an opportunity to put my newly acquired (used) OS-2 thru its paces yesterday, and I think I may favor the distortion side more than a MIT DS-1.

IMO, vs. the MIT DS-1, the distortion side of the OS-2 has the following advantages:
    • no transistor boost stage to push it into buzzy madness
    • low-fi 1458 op amp is IMO absolutely better than any of the dual op amp packages that've been used in the MIT DS-1s
    ...Regarding the 1458 op amp - it's in the same ballpark as the old 741 used in the old DOD OD250 and MXR D+, and some even use the 1458 for this intended purpose (although it may be a stretch to refer to the 1458 as a dual 741).

The distortion side of the OS-2 is actually somewhat like the marriage of a Rat and an OD250. It might actually be cool to tweak it to bypass the mid scooped hardwired tone circuitry, which would make it more like a slightly hi-fi version of a Rat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.