1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is the American Standard the "Toyota Camry" of guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Minivan Megafun, May 27, 2020.

1. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Since the Tele predates the mentioned car by decades, and has endured immeasurable nightclub use & abuse by aspiring, yet clumsy guitar players :cry:over its sixty plus years. Leo's gift to the music scene, has written its own book on durability. Ok everybody, say thank you Leo.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. JDurban

JDurban TDPRI Member

I totally agree. Well said Sir! I have had my '97 Am Std for 20 years. It was (and still is) mint and I think I remember paying £450 for it. More expensive and - dare I say beautiful - guitars have come and gone for various reasons, but there is something about this guitar that has me locked-in 'til the bitter end. It is just feels so great to play it and it has that proper tele tone. I don't imagine anybody felt this way about driving a Toyota Camry! Just take a look at it.
    BTW, its my favourite neck/colour combo. As for the relic thing …. don't start me on it. I just don't get it.

20200605_201244.jpg

BBQedIguana and KW1977 like this.
  3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Wow ..I woulda cropped the orange one out . . it's gorgeous!

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes on quality but having just sold both I disagree on the OP with Camry value. I was quite a popular guy for listing a decent Camry for sale.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

God Bless the Camry.

I endorse them all the time. I've got to be responsible in part, for the purchase of 50 of them (new ones), since they were introduced (I pushed people towards the Cressida even harder, early Corona, etc.)

But you know what? They're not that handsome of a design. There's always something busy or goofy going on. During no model year EVER have they been the prettiest offering in their sales class. There's certainly nothing orgasmic about driving one.

Meanwhile, the original Esquire and Telecaster are the kinds of iconic forms that people will be salivating over, 150 years from now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.