1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is the American Standard the "Toyota Camry" of guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Minivan Megafun, May 27, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

It's not the model under the style of guitar, such as Amer Standard, it's the type of guitar = a Camry. Tele's have always been the work trucks of guitars. The American Standard model just indicates it's a basic work truck compared to a Custom Shop commuter vehicle with sixteen cup holders, plenty of trim, and no muddy boots allowed.

If you look at most Indie bands, they are playing Telecasters or Jazzmasters and lately wouldn't be caught playing a Strat just like they hated being dropped off at school in Dad's Old Camry.

Some guitar out there is the tan-pants Mini-van. Of that we should be afraid.

Matt Laird and kylejf90 like this.
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Am Std Teles may be different and less sought after than the Strats, because the Strats consistently seem to go for $900-1100 these days. And, in the case of ones from the 80s and 90s, that's more than they were new. Even the most recent ones were $1299 when they were replaced by the Am Pro, and then they were blowing out the remaining stock for $1099. So, if you got one at that price, and are getting $900+ for it now, that's holding its value very well IMO.

3. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

I playied for a period of time a 1996 American Standard Stratocaster, it was a great player in my opionion. Excellent pickups and tuning machines. Therefore, from this point of view, they are valuable guitars, built with quality materials.

That said, I still don't understand why their resale value is so high. In many cases, those are guitars that have had several owners, and they have many years of playing. It doesn't make sense that they cost just under a new american guitar in my opinion.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I meant outside of normal maintenance of course. :lol:

Treehouse likes this.
  5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Remember back in the day when there was only on Stratocaster model? The American Standard, or American Series, and whatever it's called now...I can't remember...is the continuation of that model. It is, to me, the standard bearer for that original model...in other words great guitars!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

The only problem with this analogy is that guitars are cool. I've never thought of a Camry as cool.

kylejf90, Tommy Biggs and Gardo like this.
  7. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

YES! the early 90s was when Fender got its act together and started making guitars in California again... hence.. the American Standards. Those early 90s models are worth every penny.

Tommy Biggs and KW1977 like this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I disagree, on both points. Everyone's different, of course. But I've always been kind of a form-follows function type. Even better when both cheap and reliable are the result. I find that cool.

I think MIA Fenders are well overpriced for what they do, considering there is absolutely nothing innovative about them at this point. That's not cool to me. I love the old guitar tech. I don't love paying premium for something that is so easily copied and mass produced on the cheap.

Camrys cost more than Accords for comparable trims. I'm good with an Accord. They take up pretty much the same market space, new and used.

I also find more than one problem with this analogy.

KW1977 likes this.
  9. FenderJunkee

FenderJunkee TDPRI Member

Get real guys, the guitars are the same, the ones from Corona, and the ones from Ensenada are both built by Mexican folks, one costs a hell of a lot more than the other, both are decent instruments.

I have owned both, I consider my Road Worn 50's Strat to be the Maserati Countache if you like talking cars, I had an Am.Std. Tele that I considered a Crossely Business Coupe, you can always get a lemon in guitars, just like you can in autos.

Its mainly in the hands. JMOHO

10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Isn't the Camry the car that's easiest to steal?

I bought my MIM Standard in 94. Still running strong.

11. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I had a Maserati Countache once... great fuel economy!

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs and stormsedge like this.
  12. Bosanau

Bosanau TDPRI Member

Ever notice over the years how many Professionals end up going to the Strat, like Oh, Clapton, Blackmore, Stills, Harrison, Dylan...

Got to be something in it.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  13. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

Yes - I have noticed that too. Andy Summers is very vocal for his love of the Strat (over the Tele). The only one I recall that went away from the Strat was Iommi...

14. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The big difference between the American Standard and the Camry is that I would actually enjoy owning the guitar.

NC E30 and BBQedIguana like this.
  15. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

American Standard/Pro is kinda no-man’s land for me. As a Canadian the pricing for a MIM Player is $900, Am Pro is $1900, 50s reissue is $2400. I have an FSR Butterscotch with compensated brass saddles, CS 51 Nocaster pickups, Classicgear tuners. Functionally it’s just as good as the Am Pro and I like the pickups better. Fretwork is flawless. Not worth spending almost double just for country of origin, and me not being American I really don’t care. I’m not a big fan of poly finishes regardless.

If I’m going to make a jump to a better Tele it’ll be to an Original or Custom Shop where I can see the difference.

I’d say MIM is the Dodge Caravan and the MIA is the VW branded version that gets upcharged for a badge and a sense of moral superiority.

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

We had a Toyota Camry when we lived in Japan (early 90s)...it was dark blue, unusual among mostly white cars.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  17. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hey, wait A minute my wife has a Camry.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  18. andygee

andygee NEW MEMBER!

“dime-a-dozen on the used market”

They are priced where they should be there. I can tell you late 70s &80s teles were POS off the shelf. Those guitars inspired aftermarket and parts guitars.

19. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Yes. Despite the fact they last a long, long time, the manufacturers just keep building more and more of them and raising the price every year. It's the perfect recipe for bankruptcy.
    Time to get out the excavator...
    [​IMG]

20. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

Just wait a couple of decades. Most of them will get mods that will reduce their value. Prices go through cycles. If somebody plays one in the future and becomes famous, the price will go up. Or, the people that played one when they were young will wish they still had theirs and perhaps raise the value. Look at what happened with Les Pauls. Also, given today's economic conditions and the flood of guitars on the market, many people who bought instruments for future price appreciation are going to be disappointed. If you're buying a guitar for that, you're probably buying it for the wrong reason. I recall seeing managed accounts for collectible instruments years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it went bust. BFDRs were selling for 4000 not that long ago. Probably pretty tough to get that for one now. I just buy the Warmoth parts to get exactly what I want and don't consider resale value. I'll get my money's worth. Not a very liquid market over half the time, anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.