1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is the American Standard the "Toyota Camry" of guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Minivan Megafun, May 27, 2020.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Sadly, the American pro threw away some of the best parts of the Standards - the pickups, the fret size and the rear cutaway. On the plus side - bigger neck and vintage style bridge.

I'm looking for an old set of standard pickups for my Pro.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

American Standard - sounds like the name of a toilet.
    Bongo Bass - looks like a toilet seat.

pulteney, bebenavole, andygee and 5 others like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I much rather have a used American Standard than a used Camray. Thirty years from now someone will be playing an American Standard. The Camray will be rusting, chopped up, recycled or propped up on cinder blocks in someone's yard.

4. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

My colleague said that Toyota is like eating oat porridge. Doesn’t taste even s***, but you know it’s good for you.

I have nothing to say about Am STDs o_O

5. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If the American Standard is the Camery of guitars, then I figure my AVRI '52 hot rod is the Lexus LC500 :twisted:

Southpole likes this.
  6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned both, it’s not a horrible analogy! It gets the job done well and holds its value. Sure a car isn’t going to last as long as a guitar, but
    I still love my 94 Am std. I’d bet I can sell it for more than I paid.
    The Camry has been gone for a long time.

KW1977 likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely.
    • My first Strat was an ‘88 American Standard. Out of all my guitars, it stays in tune and plays better than all of them. And through of all the years of gigging, it is still as dependable as the day I bought it.
    • My son has had his Camry since 2009 and just hit the 240,000 mile mark. He has only replaced tires and brakes with no mechanical issues whatsoever.
    Both are true workhorses that you can always depend on.

Telecaster88 and KW1977 like this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I know nothing of The American Standard. I’ve played a few and among the Stratocaster the “midnight blue” was exceptional. Among Offshore Indonesian Standards I can say that everyone I’ve ever played was excellent with very high standards of quality. Just remember three turns on E,A and D strings minimum and the whole string with G, B and E on the shoe gaze end. I can only judge an Instrument that has Power Slinky’s or heavier because playing in front
    of People uses a lot more adrenaline than sitting at home on one’s bed.

9. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'd put the Fender MIM Standard/Player as the Camry of guitars. Very well made, can be set-up to play and sound fantastic - and priced quite reasonably.

And the American Special/Performer is more like the Acura ILX of guitars, a bit of a step up, without having to spend a LOT more money.

And the American Standard/Profession is akin to the Acura TLX, slight tweak better? Perhaps.

For the record, I don't think that Strats and Teles get "very much" better beyond what the American Standard/Professional offers.

The point of diminishing returns sets in quite significantly at the American Standard/Professional.

Suhr and PRS are very nicely done, but aren't necessarily going to play better, nor sound better to any individual's personal taste, than a well set-up American Standard/Professional.

Of course, you can pay a lot more for a factory beat-up looking body from the CS, or for a guitar built/put together precisely to your specifications... but that doesn't necessarily make them "higher grade" guitars in terms of playability or tone. They might "look" more to your taste, but that doesn't make them "better".

The American Standard/Professional guitars can be set-up to play about as well as anything you spend big-bucks for... and perhaps with a pickup swap to your specific taste, sound as good as anything else out there. For these reasons, I don't find my money well spent beyond what an American Special/Standard, Performer/Professional gets you.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Overpriced and overrated? Yes.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Don't mean to get too serious, but this 2011 Camry below, gave its life in 2018
    ( on the way to an afternoon gig!), to save mine! Other guy asleep at the wheel, coming right at me, in my lane. Happened too fast to be scared.

To stay on topic, my Stratocaster ( albeit MIM) has made me a lot of $$!

TWO WONDERFUL INVENTIONS!
    20180724_125037.jpg 20200420_151903.jpg

JL_LI and Deathray like this.
  12. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I prefer to think of the Am Standard Telecaster as the Toyota Tacoma of guitars.
    Rugged, reliable, and chicks dig it ;)
    A8C611CE-A509-452C-B40E-6C7C6EA0F10E.jpeg

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

No. American Standards are the middle trim level Ford pickup of guitars. Common, utilitarian, decent quality, decently equipped, but not fully loaded, does most things well enough, nothing to write home about, but works, can be bought by your average employed person, and is made here. The MIM Standard by comparison would be your fully de-optioned F150 that you buy as your work vehicle, because it's cheaper (but you can always make it nicer bit by bit, or just deal with it until you can afford something better). Your Professionals and Elites would be your higher trim level pickups. More options, more room, more capacity, etc.

14. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I'm with you. It would be great to own a dazzling Lexus. But is it really worth $15K more than the Toyota upon which it's based? To some. To many. But I couldn't justify it. Just like I couldn't fathom spending more than 1,000 on a Strat no matter the bells and whistles. (Says the guy with the American Standard that he bought used off Reverb in his avatar).

DHart likes this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I consider the American Standards to be pretty special. Depending on personal preferences they easily hold their own with the higher priced signature models and often with Custom shop Fenders.

If we want to use a car comparison it would be a Corvette, pushing supercar performance at a price not much above a loaded Camry.

16. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

I never thought about mine that way, but it makes sense. Got mine new in 1989 and it's held up well like a Camry. It also stays tuned up pretty well like a Camry. Well, I've never had a Camry, but I sure like my Am Std Tele.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I have two American Standards from 2008. Bought both second hand which is the same for 90% of my guitars

Alder bodies, one black and one sunburst. Both with maple necks and fingerboards.

Perfectly functional for me. 1 11/16 nut, 9.5 radius medium jumbo frets. Not skinny nor fat neck that suits me fine. Intonatable bridge with adjustable strat style bent steel saddles. Fully shielded from the start and no load tone pot if that floats your boat.

I put custom shop Texas Specials with a 4 way switch in the black one and it is my go to electric guitar.

The sunburst I fitted with a neck humbucker and put the bridge pickup in phase by simply reversing the alnico slugs in their tubes in the plastic bobbin. I staggered them at the same time to suit my string selection which always includes a wound G string.

By the way the stock neck pickup in those 2008 Am Stds is a thing of beauty in its own right

The sunburst replaced a 2007 AVRI 52 Hotrod that I purchased 2nd hand from a friend. Why pay a premium price for a non shielded guitar with a 1 5/8 nut and a Firebird neck pu that is neither fish nor fowl.

18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?

Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4?

What say you?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

EF9D68DF-82F0-424F-9F6E-314E33FFF045_4_5005_c.jpeg

Deathray likes this.
  20. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

might be time for a fluids/oil change. and the camry could use new strings.

tah1962 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.