Is the American Standard the "Toyota Camry" of guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Minivan Megafun, May 27, 2020.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Basically, your appliance guitars. They're great quality, but nothing really all that special and a dime-a-dozen on the used market. Don't hold their value that well due to how plentiful and common they are.

Discuss.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Camrys hold their value better than MIA Fenders. And can go longer between fret jobs.

Brian J., imwjl, Ebidis and 16 others like this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

They are the Toyota Camry of guitars if you mean they're an incredible value as a no frills workhorse that will do its job dependably for a very long time with very little fuss.

To my mind there's no better value in guitars than a used Am Std.

nedray, teleplayr, LPTyler and 21 others like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure.

But one thing I am certain of is the Ernie Ball Bongo: it's the Pontiac Aztek of basses.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps the Dodge Caliber of basses.

[​IMG]

Brian J., FuZZBoY, jannodude and 50 others like this.
  5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Do you mean that - as Camrys tend to be driven by clueless drivers who make you pound your steering wheel in frustration over their antics in traffic - Am Stds are played by folks who make you want to run away when you hear them?

:lol:

Crawldaddy, LPTyler, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  6. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I think your complaint is with people by and large, not Camry owners. ;)

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great analogy!
    Both are brilliant creations brought to us by innovative and forward thinking companies.
    What’s not to like?

jannodude, Slip Kid, ruger9 and 10 others like this.
  8. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I think American Standards are great, especially the 90's models. I think in working to eliminate certain quirks of old and come up with a more standardized version that works for anything and anyone was a stroke of underrated genius. Sure it might've mitigated twang-factor but that's fairly easy to remedy. I've played a variety of eras and styles of Tele and more and more I find myself wanting the attributes found in an AM STD. I have two 52 ressies that I love but I wish they had a flatter radius and bigger frets. And even with compensated brass saddles I wish they were easier to intonate. And the 1 5/8" nut width just feels tiny in my hands. I have an American Deluxe and I wish the neck were fatter because I love the modern radius/frets, and that thin/wide neck tends to equal cramping. Almost every AM STD neck as felt instantly comfortable to me. Ideal? Maybe not, but it didn't take any getting used to, let's say. I think overall American Standards don't get a fair shake(fine by me, keep resale down). It took me awhile to realize this. Basically years of cycling through various Tele models and loving each but,...conditionally. Oh this guitar is perfect except for ___. This is a great guitar but I'd like to swap out the ____. This thing sounds great except ____. After awhile I realized I didn't really have any gripes with American Standard Teles. Some would call that milquetoast but I call it honesty without ego. If I owned one would I swap out certain things? That's never out of the question on anything unfortunately.

I've seen a lot of Camrys clocking 200K+ miles without an engine rebuild. Might not be the flashiest set of wheels around but hard to argue with the track record. I'd make a VW Bug analogy but there's that whole psychopath who commissioned them thing......

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    stupot, NewKid, ruger9 and 5 others like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, yes they are.

rotsap, modavis99 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  10. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot TDPRI Member

Great analogy. Yes they are. Good quality, dependable, affordable and get the job done.

teleplayr, rotsap, Toadtele and 3 others like this.
  11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Technically, MIJ Teles are Camry of guitars. The American Standard should be more comparable to a base model F150 IMO.

12. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to hot rod an American Standard Tele than a Camry though...

rotsap, Imnotarobot, SheldonP and 3 others like this.
  13. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I'd say "no". I don't care about country of manufacture, it's more the comparison about the "demographics" of guitars out there.

I think the American Standard costs a distinctive amount more than the average new guitar purchased, whereas the Camry is more of an average priced car.

I also think it is held as a relative reference point or "standard" for a high quality build.

But it's not a really boutique, expensive guitar either. There's lots and lots of them out there on the road - a really good, solid build - something with pride of ownership.

For these reasons, I think the Fender American Standard maybe is more like buying a BMW, maybe a Volvo.

guspac88 and jeepnjeff like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have a MIM tele I've had for 20 years. It was my only electric for the vast majority of that 20 years. I drive a 2015 Accord. I've put 90k on it. I've no reason to believe I couldn't drive it for another 15 years.

I like Camrys. But they cost more than Accords.

Brian J. and KW1977 like this.
  15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nope..you can sell a nice Am Std Strat or Tele for what you paid for it , and often more, 20-25 years ago. Not so a Toyota Camry.

mojek likes this.
  16. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

For some reason, the years they were called the 'American Series' in the early to mid 2000s have consistently been the most solid guitars I've played. And I've played just about everything at this point. Doesn't make me an expert/ of course, and forget not that all these things are based on personal taste. However, all the specs of that series is hands down my favorite. And they just feel indestructible to me. Though I think the current ones are perfectly fine guitars, I don't get that same "feeling" when holding or playing them. Again, this is a personal observation.

Telecasterless and mojek like this.
  17. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I've had 3 Bongos, and they are ridiculously versatile with that 4 band EQ. Amazing basses

coreytree and Imnotarobot like this.
  18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Not as easy to find parts for an American Standard tele in a junkyard though, which is a strong selling point on the F150 ;)

Matt Laird and Rustbucket like this.
  19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

And my 2003 Pontiac Aztek has 270,000 miles on an untouched engine and I go camping in it!

Not to mention a Heads Up Display, leather heated seats, sunroof, removable cooler... 20181127_091719.jpg IMAG0152.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

We just bought a 2004 Lexus Camry (ES-whateverthehell) and I would buy a 2004 Am Std in much worse condition than that. In fact I like my guitars a little beat but not so my cars.

Good analogy though.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.