Is TC stuff junk?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by KC, Oct 22, 2019.

1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Just had my only two TC electronic pedals quit on me within a month of each other -- Alter Ego v4 went into brick mode, no lights no nothing, then the T2 reverb quit working on the mono in/out, still passes signal but no effect. Switched 9v supplies to no avail. Switched in/out cords to no avail. I really like both of these pedals but what the heck -- might be time to go to plan B. Anybody have a similar experience or is this just the Universe messing around with me?

2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

How long have you owned them?

I’ve had the big flashback pedal for maybe nine months with no problem. I also bought their brick colored OD pedal (the name escapes me at the moment) used and have had no tech issues with it, just didn’t like the pedal.

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Generally, unless a chip goes bad or some component (rare) it's something around the jacks which see movement from cords being plugged in that is the failure point. Also could be a bad power supply or the jack into which the power plugs in. Also, when trying a new power supply, many pedals are really touchy about the voltage and or specs of the adapter. Make sure it is exactly the same.

Not had any TC problems like your having.

4. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

My mini flashback works when it feels like it even though the light goes on and off when I press the foot switch.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have 2 Ditto pedals and a Polytune 3 that are several years old and feel totally solid.

I would say some of the other TC pedals I tried seemed gimmicky though. I was not a fan of the Toneprint stuff. Other competing pedals just sounded better without any computer nonsense.

The lowest quality feeling pedal I've ever seen/touched/owned is actually the EHX Oceans 11. I have had a bunch of other EHX pedals that are really solid, the Oceans 11 is so light feeling in comparison that it felt like you'd break it switching it on and off. Very weird that they built that one so flimsy feeling compared to others. All the EHX Nano size pedals feel junky compared to the big ones like the Deluxe Memory Man but none of the Nano ones feel as cheap as the Oceans 11. Luckily I thought the Oceans 11 was massively overhyped and didn't sound good.. took it back and got my money back before it could break.

I think TC might be the same as EHX in that some of the pedals have more solid enclosures than others.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I have a ditto. Good pedal, but when I engage it, my dry through has a slight volume drop and tonal change. I've heard I'm supposed to update the firmware... Um ya... Screw that! I'm a guitarist not a nerd :)

My black poly tune mini is great! It replaced my tu3 which was affecting my tone in a not so great way.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  7. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I have a Polytune 2, Sub'n'Up, Viscious Vibe, and Ditto. The only issue is the vibe takes a measure to wind down and the transition stumbles a bit. Easy to anticipate. No mechanical problems, although the Toneprint app is glitchy.

8. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

The original older TC pedals had switch failures TC never acknowledged, but repaired the problem. The later years are just fine.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I only have experience with the Chorus/Vibrato (EJ model) pedal.
    They’re built like a tank, work beautifully, and last forever.
    I’d be disappointed to learn their other products are less so.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I have had an Alter Ego x4, Hyper Gravity comp, Mini Nior tuner and a HOF2 for a few years. Never a problem with any. I would make sure you are getting clean stable power supplied to them. This has the fried power feel to it. TC is very responsive to support folks, email them and ask if they can repair them. Sorry to hear about this. They both sound really good.

11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I own a HyperGravity compressor, Triple Delay, and Ditto X4. So far, no issues, mechanical or electrical. To what @4pickupguy says above me, make sure you're treating 'em nice with regards to power. The bigger X4-style pedals are hungry for electrons.

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is really important overall but perhaps not super important in terms of preventing physical damage. TC is heavily biased towards digital stuff, so their stuff is going to draw a lot of power on average. Usually digital stuff just acts flaky and buggy when not enough voltage is supplied though, it shouldn't break/burn out. Plugging into excess voltage is the main damage area.

I had one digitech digital pedal that was incredibly flaky if it didn't have it's own dedicated isolated power supply.. it would literally act like it was hitting computer bugs. Incredibly weird cause it otherwise acted fine... Digitech really gave me a hard time about the power supply when I contacted support and sure enough giving it a dedicated/isolated power supply with plenty of excess wattage available cleared up the issue.

13. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Since two years I'm happy with my mojomojo

14. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I believe Paul Gilbert is a fan of this pedal.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If you'd asked me a month ago, I would have said that I've always had good luck with TC stuff. The T2 just seems broken but I'll try a couple of other power supplies with the Alter Ego. The thing that's weird is these were both living-room pedals -- I think about some of the other stuff that's been getting banged around in the stage rig & it all works fine.

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Old TC = Solid
    New TC = Not so much

Festofish likes this.
  17. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto x4 is not a reliable machine.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a hall of fame reverb, flashback v1, ditto and polytune noir mini tuner. All are something like 6 years old, still work fine and feel solid. I think I remember hearing Behringer took them over last year. Maybe the quality has dropped a little?

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've had a HOF 2 for roughly two years now, have been using it regularly (e.g. at least once a week), and haven't experienced a single problem with it. In my case, I even successfully now use it with a One Spot power supply (originally just had it on a board with a Voodoo Lab ISO 5).

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

They sound like unrelated faults to me, and just happened to coincidentally occur around the same time. It sounds like the Alter Ego was damaged by an external power issue, unless the power jack is damaged. It sounds like the T2 reverb may have an issue with an analog part of the circuit, that has to do with mixing the signal to mono, and routing it to the appropriate in/out. This assumes that the stereo in/out works fine...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.