Is tape the way to go for hard rock n roll?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Marquee Moon, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I like how tape removes the option of unlimited takes and adds a little pressure to nail it the first time. Completely different process using tape, than digital. Editing and re-recording limitations are good.

Sometimes less is more.

soul-o and 24 track like this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well you tell me.
    The.... warmthness of the sound should be your guide :lol:

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well not exactly.
    Editing was super heavy during tape days too.
    I have spent DAYS with a double edge razor blade cutting tape and performing ....sound surgery in my younger days.
    These days I simply spend MINUTES to do the same job and with better results.

In any case great bands and musicians STILL nail it on the first take even in a digital environment.

It's a myth that everything is cut and paste these days.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Not everything, certainly, just everything on the radio. An Adele song probably has 32 tracks of lead vocal for comping.

BTW, if you're using a double-edged razor for editing, you're doing it wrong.

On an Editall block, the distance from the 45-degree slot and the end of the block just happens to be exactly the same as the distance from the playback gap and the end of the head block on an Ampex deck. Which means you can pinch-edit without messing around with grease pencils. Just find the edit point, grab the tape, slap it in the Editall block, and cut. It'll be right.

5. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Magnetic tape makers claim a life of up to 30 years under ideal storage conditions, so a 75 year old tape recording would probably have to have been copied several times. Digital recordings never become unplayable, as the files can be transferred with no loss as old media become obsolete and new ones are invented.

Of course few of us will be around in 75 years to play our recordings for others

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

In for another CD currently. Thought over the winter. What could i do. Got jtm45 & jtm50 black flag spec'd. I was thinking back how well those marshalls recorded..The results were way worth with it paired with English greenbacks mic'd 3 ways. Also, layering my lead on top my rhythm guitar by choosing dif guitars...before we even left the studio ..the mix was so layered..now i always..pre plan the gear used & really dial it in on scratch tracks before i go in..this last mix came back so tight..finally got the result was chasing for a rock sound

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.