Is stupid a bad word?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wallo Tweed, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, but. You don't want 5 and 6 year olds dropping the F-Bomb because you don't want to manipulate their though process.

I believe there are words that are not "bad" per se, but should not be part of a youngsters' vocabulary until they have a better handle on meaning and context.

First grade? Stupid should not be used, as well as other words. $0.02.

2. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Stupid is not a bad word, to even think that you've got to be a ******.

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Maybe part of an anti-bullying program?

Tom

4. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

The child obviously needs to spend more time looking out the window.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So, how are you going to say stupid ******* without the word stupid?

6. Toto'sDad

Obviously the teacher rides the buss to school, or else she would be hollering hey stupid get outa my way I'm late as she careened down the highway like the rest of you. (I play an important role in this scenario, I'm the guy you're hollering at)

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I first heard about being "Politically Correct" I knew that was stupid.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

There wasn't much that was more fun when I was kid than getting together with my friends and swearing like sailors. Stupid wouldn't really fit into it, from that point of view.

I guess it's better for a kid to say "Oh, damn!" than to call someone stupid though. I think a first grader is old enough to grasp the explanation of why directing the word stupid towards others is bad. Just labeling it a "bad word" is the easy way out for a teacher, IMO.

9. Toto'sDad

Better?

10. Virgman

Virgman Tele-Meister

Dumb is a much better word.

11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

no word is bad...its just a word...its how the word is used that could make it bad

12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

that teacher is an idiot. or worse: a dumbass.

13. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

If you use a racial slur in a derogatory fashion, you are using it properly..........right?

14. Toto'sDad

The insightful Mr. Telefunken in for the win!!!!!! (he can only do these things, because he (secretly?) plays okie music, or metal, or funk or something without a Tele)

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think "stupid" has fallen into that new category of "politically incorrect", because it is demeaning. Right or wrong, this has happened and probably good education for the youth.

The only time I use "stupid" is when I'm yelling at myself out loud and call myself "stupid".
    This happens often. I don't get offended in that instance, because it happens when I do something stupid.

Once in awhile, I'll call my wife "stupid". Now that is how stupid I am.

16. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

I had a middle school teacher who made a point of her dislike for the word. Her argument was that people frequently label things as "stupid" that they simply don't really understand. Consequently, she felt it was best to hedge your bets and use another word instead of looking, well, stupid.

There was certainly no rule against it's use but she wanted to make her point. She said something similar about the word "hate" too.

17. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

That was too funny:D

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the "R" word is just about extinct, as I write this. I think it is a shame.

If the growth of a plant or bird is held back, the "R" word is the right word but I dare not use it.

Once you teach enough kids never to use the "S" word then away it goes from all discourse.

One of my favorites is when discussing trade between countries, if you feel suppressing trade with a specific country is a good idea, then you're racist against the predominate racial group in that country. What a trip!

At the rate we're going, children (and then adults) will be restricted to an 80 word vocabulary and all other words are out because people can use these words as weapons sometimes.

What a funny idea, that children might respond to the rage inside them, not by calling their tormentors " St++++ Mo++++ Fu++++s" but instead by spraying them with rounds from the better protected AR15. :^(

+

I believe if a neighbor, workmate or classmate has bitter resentments against you, it is the lesser evil for them to bully you with words and opposed to taking you out with a pipe bomb. Mean and abusing words are unpleasant but they're a form of early warning system. This is like banning all the smoke detectors and fire alarms in buildings. You're taking away our advance notice that someone is very discontented or disturbed and letting it brew until it explodes all at once, I think.

19. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i wonder if the teacher hates the word silly too. they are interchangeable.

"dont be silly, youre brilliant!"

"dont be stupid, "youve got this"

its all about context

saying "youre stupid" yeah thats bad. But to say, "the directions to this Ikea table are stupid" is fine.

its just a word.

20. StuR

StuR Banned

When I was learning sign-language for the deaf I was told that you never ever tell a young deaf child that they're "bad". Without the ability to put inflections on a word thru sign-language it's not possible for them to work out the level of "bad"-ness, so they can take it as meaning evil and get a complex.
    I'm guessing in the OP case it's a case of policing what words are used that aren't PC anymore. When I was a kid the word "spaz" began to be frowned on as insulting to spastic people which is obviously fair enough; though in these enlightened PC times where all kinds of abusive words are banned I've seen it used again on UK TV - probably because they forgot why it was banned & are having to dig up old words as all the new ones can't be used any more.
    Instead of policing the intent and demenaour fo the speaker they just blanket ban any words they use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.