Is Squier becoming the Standard Of Excelence Within Fender ?

Discussion in 'Epic Threads' started by musicmatty, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

Certainly not....Buy (or build) the knockoff guitar and the fake decal and start sanding the headstock.

2. iblastoff

iblastoff Banned

this thread is supposed to be about the entire squier line, not one measly guitar. but since you're trying to say the CV is basically the only 'good' squier out there right now, you've basically proven the point that no, squiers are indeed not the 'standard of excellence'

and please do not reply with utter idiocy by trying to stuff words into my mouth. i've toured tons of times with an epiphone and not a 'real' gibson with no problems.

3. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

I haven't tried any other Squiers, and I'm not putting words in your mouth, every second sentence you say is how no musicians play Squiers live.

I await your next post in 10 seconds after someone replies to you.

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Soon getting tired of this

This meaningless bickering begins to feel like one Monty Python sketch, The Argument.
    And then pine...which is not only one species of tree, with soft wood, but numerous group of species. Some of the produces QUITE HARD & TOUGH WOOD. I have tried to inform this fact awful lot of times, in vain, it seems.
    Leo Fender used pine, of most probably Canadian Rockies pine species`wood to TELECASTER prototypes. I furthermore believe Bruce Springsteen`s No.1 is of pine, as he said in 2 interviews ib newspapers when visiting Stockholm & Gothenburg during his European Tours during the years. One of his statements i was able to see and hear in TV News in late 90s or early 2000 s.
    Our own pine over here is tough and hard enough for guitar body.
    Other Squier CV`s than CV50 Tele have alder bodies. Some VM`s have alder bodies.

5. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

Originally Posted by iblastoff View Post
    its definite internet hype as evidenced by this very thread alone started by someone saying CV's are higher in quality and consistency than MIM/MIA's based on purely nothing but subjective ranting.

the only people that seem to be playing the CV's are people posting on forums. i have yet to see any live gigging musician (not the pros with tons of money but the 'middle class' touring bands who have most to gain by spending very little on supposed 'standard of excellence' guitars) play a squier and playing/going to shows has basically been my #1 past time for the past 15 years. i'm sure there are a few bands that do, but there has to be another reason why 99% of gigging musicians play actual fenders other than the 'cool' factor.

still, not saying the CV is a bad instrument but thats just how it is.

This is what you said and it is more than remotely subjective. It is subjective and opinionated. What's the big deal?

6. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Quote..."They are making American Instruments. They also have their own ... a few thousand year history of making instruments, most of which you will have never heard of."

No they aren't. They are copying American instruments. It also surprises me to learn you can read my mind and state what I do and don't know?

I bow to your superior intellect. I'm gone.

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK...let's get realistic - a few really nice, inexpensive guitars offered over the past few years. But, for the past 10, Squier's been nothing to write home about. Neither has Epiphone. But, the China stuff is getting better, from both manufacturers. But, Squier's got a long way to go to become the standard of excellence.

8. tomee

tomee TDPRI Member

I think the Squier CV line might be considered a good value for guitars from China regardless of make. I'm new to all this and in the last few weeks of shopping around it seemed to me that for the price I got a lot of guitar with a CV Custom at $340 with taxes. Of course for more money I could get a better guitar, but I'm just starting and that's what these seem to be good for - guys like me who'll play them in the basement until they get good. Then I'll get a MIA Tele, or build my own! :D

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

You are right, I forgot all about Godin/Seagull etc., GREAT values!!

10. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer TDPRI Member

whomever keeps talking about seeing people play them live needs to let that argument go. i've seen more people play live with Squiers than Ron Kirn's guitars, a Hahn, etc. and most would agree that those are of exceptional quality.

i'd argue that the standard of Fender is Vintage Fender. i'd say that that's why they have RI/Tribute models across all their brands. and yet, i still rarely see a pre-1960 Fender being gigged.

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

More that an opinion. The fact is the Squier has cheaper parts specified in it's design than a MIM or MIA Fender.

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

If I remember correctly, Leo himself couldn't play a note.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

China-made Epiphones have not caught the previously Korean-made Epiphones in quality.

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Best worded and thought out post of this thread....thank you.

15. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's why the China stuff is so cheap. It's not very good (in general). Fender lucked-out with a vendor who makes nice guitars and (obviously) can meet their (Fender's) cost targets. So, why not make a bunch more models there? Price is right - products are good. Customers like 'em. You're right about Epiphone. I really don't like most of the models - some are fine. And, like the previous Squiers, you have to see and play a few to find one you'd buy. Sheratons & Dots are OK - I miss the Elitist stuff - never got a chance to grab one. Discontinuing those was a huge step-back for Epiphone.

16. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

12 pages and counting? Jeez I'm gonna go buy SDPRI.com

17. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Les Paul players get along with each other better.......

I just saw this posted on another site----they are discussing Les Pauls:

If you're trying to imply that a Historic LP is better than an $800 Jr, Studio or Faded my reply would be "I hope to hell so".....:lol:

HAHAHAHA:eek::lol:

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Nah, I get the feeling this one is going to go on for a while longer.

20. bynapkinart

bynapkinart Tele-Meister

You know, I just remembered seeing this a while ago and it took me a while to find it.

This is for the folks who think that no one ever plays Squiers when they make it big...not really my favorite style, but hey, they're on Letterman and I'm not :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreWR0i06_A

For the record, that is in fact a Squier CV50, not an AmSpec.

EDIT: Not trying to editorialize and say that it is somehow indicative that Squier is superior (I have mentioned numerous times that I think MIA is still king). I just wanted to show that people will still play their CV50s on national television during their big break.

EDIT2: Just in digging around on the web a bit more, looks like that guitarist had at one point a Gibson LP Special...looks like he's been playing the CV50 ever since Letterman, he also played it for their set at SXSW and ACL. Cool. The band is a little garagey for me, but they definitely rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.