Is shape more important than thickness?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jul 19, 2019.

whats more important to you in a neck

1. Profile

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Thickness

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Both need to be exactly what I like

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Doesn’t matter (play anything)

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

The other day after posting a picture of my fender lead 2 I played it for the first time in a while, I always thought it was very comfortable so I decided to measure it, thickness was .93 and it turned out that lead 2 neck widths are an A width and mine has a late 60s-70s U-shape.

So I got thinking about how if a neck has the “right” shape than the thickness doesn’t matter to me as much even though I like thicker necks. For me I like for a neck to have shoulders, it can be significantly slimmer but as long as those shoulders are there I can adapt. on the other side it can be a beefy neck and if the back profile is too flat feeling I won’t get along with it.

Same with the widths if it’s a “C” wide neck but thin I can’t get along with it but it can be an “A” that is chunkier and it’s just fine and vice-versa.

What do you guys feel is more important to you thickness or shape?

Which feature could you live with if the other feature was off?

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Depends on which girl you ask.

Tal Wilkenfield would probably say thickness whereas Orianthi would probably say shape.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If I could carry five or six guitars to a gig, I could play any kind of neck. If I tried to play a skinny Squier CV or 70s SG neck, for a whole evening, my old guy hands would seize up and I'd have trouble buttoning my jacket, or putting my key in the door.

Favourites are probably the Gibson round 50s profile and the Baja soft/chunky V. I would like the behemoth Allparts TMO-Fat, were in not for the tall, thin frets. I may have to get the files out, on that one. I also have a very fat V-neck, with big frets and a 9.5, on another tele, which may be my future number one, for regular playing and tunings. I like a 9.5 radius but I don't use a low action or thin strings, so that isn't crucial. I bend a lot, which seems to be easier with big frets.

My 'technique' is comically weak, so that may be the source of any problems.;)

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I voted for thickness since I can't stand necks that are too deep. Modern C is my perfect neck. But width and scale-wise, I can play pretty much anything. I just don't like necks that feel like someone sawed a log in half.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think shape is most important, but extreme thickness + or - can be. I need shoulder in the neck profile. I dont want flare near the fretboard. Makes my hand hurt.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I don't favor one type neck. I like a long scale wide neck for Jazz, a short scale narrow neck for Blues, and a Strat w a 7.25 radius, small frets for rhythm work, like TOP, James Brown funk. It takes all of a couple seconds to adapt from one to another.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.