Is reverb a vital place to sell instruments or is eBay still king?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by diverse379, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

I've found the same guitar/seller listing on Reverb, Ebay and Amazon at the same time.

2. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

A lot of wrong info in this thread, as stated in the above post.

The fees on musical instruments on eBay and Reverb are now the same, and have been for several years.

If you are selling just one or two guitars, Reverb works just fine.

But if you have a lot to sell, eBay will move them much faster.

I sold many last year, and listed them exactly the same in both places simultaneously.

EBay outsold Reverb nearly 10 to one.

I think Reverb has gotten slower since they got wrapped up in selling to Etsy.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't sold as much gear online lately but I usually list everywhere, CL, FB, eBay, Reverb and see where it sells first. Most of the time that is eBay, just more exposure I guess. And as mentioned eBay fees on musical gear is 3.5%, of course there is still the Paypal fee, shipping.

Online sales tax on used gear is affecting sales IMO. Won't stir up a bunch of controversy about it, but if you sell local on CL, Facebook, or a garage sale you don't have to charge or pay sales tax , just saying ....

4. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

ebay = stuff sold from China.
    Reverb = used stuff in USA

local stores/marketplace/craigslist/ = getting relevant again now that the online shops all charge RIDICULOUS taxes... it INFURIATES me they can get away with charging tax on a used item and shipping!!!!! That's not right.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reverb eats eBay's lunch these days, and it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Amazon? Good luck.

Reverb is all musicians, and they understand gear. Buyer or seller, they'll stick by you in a difficult transaction. I've seen them eat probably 20% of a $3500 transaction, just to make both parties happy.

I've never posted a video with my listings. Just lots of high quality photos, and a good write-up. The kind that takes a few hours to properly craft. It seems to help. I get unprompted comments from buyers that the quality of the listing tipped the scales.

I don't price at the top, or the bottom. I price fairly, at about 110% of where I want to close. So, I'll consider an offer, but not a low one. My $2k guitars usually sell in 3-5 days.

Reverb's fees are of course not bad at all. eBay eventually dropped their fees to match, but too little, too late, far as I'm concerned.

6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

They're not "getting away with" anything. They have no choice. They're forced to, by law. A Supreme Court decision a couple of years ago allowed states to collect sales tax on internet sales, and eBay and Reverb are businesses, not individuals. Unless it's being shipped to a state that doesn't collect, you have to pay.

Used or new has nothing to do with it.

stevemc likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, so, all the 50 states now, you have to charge state tax
    or reverb does it automatically if required?

8. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Delaware is the only state I know that doesn’t collect sales tax. A lot of people register expensive cars, boats, planes etc in Delaware to avoid paying sales tax.

uriah1 likes this.
  9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

There does seem to be some over optimistic pricing for music gear on ebay but there are still bargains to be had.

I use it to sell as well and just wait for the £1 fixed selling fee offer, which here in the UK comes round every few weeks.

10. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Coronal Mass Ejection? Sun spots? Seriously, what is CME?

11. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

There's no sales tax in Oregon either.

bender66 likes this.
  12. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Chicago Music Exchange. The owners of Reverb until they sold it to Etsy a few months ago.

Deeve and Frontier9 like this.
  13. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I use them both, even Craigs list. Lots of "cork sniffers" on Reverb, I don't know how many I have insulted by just making an offer after its been posted for weeks and has not sold. If your stuff aint selling, it's because you are priced to high!

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Not all states. I think 39 states now require it. A few of the ones who don't, don't have any sales tax, others do but haven't decided to collect yet.

Reverb and eBay do it automatically. They're marketplaces, they are considered the sellers, so they're responsible for making sure it's collected.

Most states have exceptions for smaller businesses. Here in Minnesota, a seller must have at least 100 retail sales in Minnesota or 10 or more sales worth more than $100,000 before it kicks in. So a small store in another state could sell to me directly without sales tax if they don't make too many sales here, but if I bought through their Reverb shop, Reverb would have to collect the sales tax.

uriah1 likes this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

thank you - I'm guilty of TLA syndrome*

Peace - Deeve

* Three
    Letter
    Acronym

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Etsy purchase isn't in our favor anymore. I'm reading a lot of shenanigans pertaining to Reverb. Stuff that didn't fly for the first few years.

It's still the better show of the 2. I've been leaning on the free local market places the past few years. It's slow, but I'm patient. If it doesn't sell, list another item, etc. Of course, you have to have a decent local gear hound community.

17. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I accumulated about 80 transactions (mostly sales) on eBay and had only one major issue on a sale. When their fees started getting higher, I switched to Reverb and have since done about 30 sales on there, most for products with value well above $2,000.00. I found Reverb buyers much better to deal with--more sophisticated, reasonable, knowledgeable, conversational, etc., and Reverb's selling and shipping process is very efficient overall. I was sold on Reverb until recently when I needed their help on a couple of delistings that weren't showing up, even when I paid for "bumps." They were utterly non responsive, replying to my inquiries three days later and with useless information that raised more questions, that again took three days to answer--ineffectively. Then the sales tax thing finally got around to my state and I was further disillusioned, although I now understand it's not an issue for sellers. Reverb bills buyers direct for the tax.

I'm now getting ready to sell some more instruments and not sure how I'm going to do it. Think I'll try Facebook user groups where they exist, and maybe forum classifieds, like this one, but I suspect I'll end up using Reverb and eating the fees again. It simply works most of the time, and the fees only hurt for a while.

For the OP, I suggest using several venues as mentioned throughout this thread. You're selling enough stuff to figure out quickly what works best for you. You only pay for listings if they sell.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good point, I had forgotten about that. Time will tell...

19. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I've noticed unsold instruments sitting for a long time on Reverb.com. Usually, it's because the owner/seller has set an unrealistic price and will not budge.

Fendarr likes this.
  20. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I sold a guitar and charged 50 for shipping. Turns out the guy was across the country and it cost me 130. No win situation unless the guy lives close by.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.