Is reverb a vital place to sell instruments or is eBay still king?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by diverse379, Feb 12, 2020.

1. diverse379

diverse379 TDPRI Member

I used to sell guitars on eBay and usually could
    Move them in a week or two at a decent turn over

I notice some reasonable price guitars on Reverb sitting for months

I know Amazon is getting into the game
    And I know If you link a reverb ad to some decent video of sound examples it will help
    But I need to move about 20 instruments in about 10 months

Greggorios, Texicaster and tah1962 like this.
  2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I think the guitar market is severely oversaturated right now and it has gotten harder to sell them at what you might feel is market value. If you heavily discount and undercut anyone else's price for the same instrument you can sell fairly quickly.

I have been preferring Reverb lately for the targeted market and fairly low listing fees compared to eBay.

3. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

I don't even look on eBay for instruments anymore.

4. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I think with the new tax laws that just happened, sales on eBay and reverb have definitely slowed down on guitars. I know personally, not having to pay sales tax on used stuff was one of the benefits of reverb and eBay before. Just my two cents.

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I only use Reverb.com. Never tried Ebay.
    Last year I sold everything single thing I put up...30+ sales

stormsedge, Greggorios and drf64 like this.
  6. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

If you consider how much some of the shipping cost on Ebay and Reverb, you could almost buy a guitar new from the store. I have gotten a couple good deals off of Reverb, but I prefer to scout the Facebook market and Craigslist for local pickups.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve sold a lot of gear on eBay, but when Reverb got in the game I pretty much stopped selling on eBay. I was going to list an item a while back on eBay but they have made it a monumental task to list an item in comparison to Reverb.

No more eBay selling for me. But, I still buy things on eBay.

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I only use Reverb for musical instruments and have ditched ebay.

Craigslist is still a good resource for local sales subject to all the usual caveats regarding personal safety. At least here in the metro Atlanta area, many local courthouses and other county offices with a law enforcement presence have designated areas where buyer and seller can meet.

Deeve likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Reverb works well. I like them because I use their pay system instead of Paypal. I still list some things on Ebay, or both. It seems 50/50 which place sells the same thing.
    I lean toward Reverb on larger things because I dont have to use Paypal. Paypal now has a new rule that they get their fee even if the buyer returns something. So if you sell a $600 guitar and it comes back (lot's of flaky buyers now days) you lose.

10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Reverb has a great website and I have bough from there numerous times. They have cool videos too. I still purchase parts and electronics from eBay as well though. Sometimes people try to charge more by labeling something for guitar like capacitors.

11. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I don't know if it's applicable anymore, but back in the day eBay charged 10% for selling something. Reverb charged 3%.

12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I won't go near either. Burned one too many times.

bender66 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I shop on both sites but almost always end up buying one ebay, either because the price is better or because ebay has auctions where there's a chance the price will be better than the same item on reverb, since at least some ebay buyers checked reverb prices and have an idea of the highest price they need to pay. IOW if I know I can buy a Super badass distortion for $75 on reverb I would bid on the same pedal auctioning at a lower price on ebay but not bid more than the reverb listing since I can buy that any time.

The other thing is though that often a bidding war gets going on an ebay auction and the winner pays more than the same item is listed at on ebay just because they decided to big, and then ebay pops up that little "you've been outbid, bit X dollars more?" window and the bidder jumps for the win.

Personally, if I see all the Squier J Mascis Jazzmasters are about the same price on reverb (generally a little higher than GC), but one is a lower price, I get wary that there are undisclosed problems or the seller is a crackpot.

OTOH if there's an ebay auction it seems less like there must be a problem when I score a better deal.
    This is more psychological than factual but it is indeed a fact that bidding often results in higher selling prices.
    Not always of course, particularly if you list stuff to go off at 3am in the US, put it in the wrong category, title it poorly, post lousy pics, have really bad feedback, or are selling a buggered up piece of crap that once was a pretty good guitar.

Key to getting a bidding war going is starting with a low price and the lower the better as far as what I've watched.
    An opening bid of $300 on a $400 guitar will not get a bidding war going and often results in the lowest possible selling price, because nobody wants to start a bidding war that close to a good selling price, and with no promise of a screaming deal that is unlikely to happen, there's less motivation to bid at all.

14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Of late, I've found Reverb has fewer surprises when selling.
    CME has a pretty heavy foot print there, so it's best to have something they're not interested in.
    The only things I'm buying on the Bay of e would be cheap throwaways from overseas that I'll gamble on.
    The other commentary is duplicative.
    Peace - Deeve

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I've bought and sold on ebay a lot in the past but I haven't sold anything on ebay for a few years. I purchased some strat pickups off reverb a few months ago, that's the only thing I've ever purchased from reverb but the experience was good. Next time I sell something I'll probably try reverb id the cost is less. The only concern is I've built a good reputation on ebay and wonder if being a first time seller on reverb will hurt me.

16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Ebay fees are about double that of Reverb and if you have something people want customers will find you either way. Much easier if you can find a local buyer. Everyone now shops on Facebook Marketplace as well. I would list locally as well as Reverb, you can always cancel your listing if you sell locally.

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

I recently sold a buttload of stuff on Reverb, guitars, pedals, mics, no problems. And 3% is a lot more tolerable than 10%.

18. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Fun to browse both! But, honestly I see more ridiculously priced guitars on eBay. Some tempting ones are on Reverb recently.... but why do I need a fifth Telecaster? Wait! I just thought of a reason!

SecretSquirrel and Fretting out like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Is this correct I always thought reverb had a 10% cut

20. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Wrong on all counts. Reverb's selling fee has always been 3.5% and eBay dropped their final value fee on musical instruments to 3.5% a couple of years ago.

bender66, NateD81 and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.