Is Real Rock and Roll Still Alive?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Turtleneck, Mar 15, 2020.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I might have thrown The Blasters in there. Depends on whether you mean a rock and roll band, or a band that plays rock and roll.

BorderRadio and blowtorch like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

what were they ON back then....:eek::D

bromdenlong likes this.
  3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

There's plenty of real rock and roll, but it isn't likely to be all that great. When rock was the popular music of the day, everyone played that style of music and what you heard on the radio was the best of the best. Record companies helped artists develop, they recorded in the best studios with the best producers, etc. The bands that want to play in that style nowadays are not necessarily the most talented, and they record for small indie labels with no budget for production. It's "real", but it isn't going to be anything near as good as what was around years ago.

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Almost 10 pages in, I'm going to throw my $.02 in.

I'd love to see bands doing stuff like Free, in the late '60s, today. Playing with a vintage Marshall backline. Or, someone like Mel Schacher lighting up a West Fillmore.

I stepped up on the platform
    The man gave me the news
    He said, You must be joking son
    Where did you get those shoes?

Well, I've seen 'em on the TV, the movie show
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
    These things are gone forever
    Over a long time ago, oh yeah

5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Sir!! Rock~Roll is a alive and kicking here in Texas;):)

6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Thinking about it, the downside for me is when I see a band like Black Stone Cherry go to the U.K./Europe and pack arenas and big halls, but when they tour the states they play tiny clubs to sometimes really tiny crowds. It's great for us, and those club shows are some of my favorites, but I feel a bit bad that more people either don't "get it" or support the band. I also hope it's not disheartening to the bands who experience that. I saw Blackberry Smoke play a club in Arizona that has 1500 capacity, and maybe 500 people were there. The show they put on was on par with great live shows like Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers; one of the best shows I have ever seen, and I got to see it 10 feet from the stage. But I wonder how the band feels when they're playing to a mostly empty room like that, and that is the downside for me. A band like BBS, IMHO, deserves to have 10,000 screaming fans going nuts for their show every night. Maybe I'm more sad for the idiots who aren't paying attention to all the great music that's around, and I hope it doesn't get the bands down and make them want to quit. :confused:

I completely get the "arena acts are for suckers" attitude, especially from the 70's and 80's. Juvenile, maybe, but definitely valid!

Lawdawg likes this.
  7. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

No, it never even occurred to me to think you might be judging anyone. I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for using proper grammar, except to judge them favorably. Slang and misuse of language is fun, it's what makes Finnegans Wake so entertaining, among other things.

There's a difference between rock as opposed to rock n/and roll? I always used rock as short hand for rock n/and roll. Curious.

Bad grammar and rock and roll as a means of giving authority the middle finger? sure, I'm all for it. Although bad grammar these days seems either unintentional, just and unconsciously acquired bad habit, laziness or a lack of literacy. Oh well, it's the way of things.

These threads couldn't define anything no matter how hard we try, because few are paying attention to our little corner of the internet, and fewer care!

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

as long as i am, it will be. take it to the bank. Death before Dishonour!

eddiewagner likes this.
  9. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I dunno...ask Jack White.

10. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

As long as I live its alive. Come he’ll or high waters or corona....

11. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

i don t know about now.... but it was in 2013 at least

12. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta have that swing! Even slo blues can swing. :cool:

ozcal likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Rock and Roll is a genre these days like any other - blues, country, jazz, classical, electronica.

Is it "alive" - yeah sure the same way classical or bluegrass is alive. Is it THE major driver of popular music, a major cultural force? Definitely not. I feel like this should be super obvious and I wonder why this thread comes up every week. What gives?

14. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

15. trev333

I guess for music to be popular you shouldn't have to dress up with "period correct" clothing to feel comfortable enjoying it...

R&R here seems to be connected with all things 50's, cars, clothes, style, greased back hair elvis clones and bobby sox and skirts for the girls.... US50's at that...

probably nothing like any 50's/60's aussie r&r appearances/dress...

it's kinda pantomime at times ....

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was 25 years old within 90's Seattle grunge movement hit. At my age, half my friends loved the new music, and the other half thought it sucked and were saying that rock and roll is dead. Truth is, rock and roll never died, it just evolved.

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Tom Petty was asked this back in 1999. I'll go with his response. "It's alive at my house."

ce24 likes this.
  18. trev333

check the sales figures for double basses to see if demand is rising...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.