Is Paul McCartney a Bass Player?

Friend of Leo's
Needless to say he's the one with the gazillion £ bank account etc and I cannot understand anyone that can't appreciate their legacy. He is an excellent bass player and so too several other instruments, however .... and this is just my opinion ....

I find a lot of his bass playing on Beatles tracks, although strangely not so his 'own/solo' stuff, .... to be way over fussy.

It's just all over the tracks with fills and flurries that, tbh, over time just start to detract from the songs.
Another little irksomeness (sic) for me is, how did he manage to get the bass so forward in so many of the mixes. Was he always last man out the control booth and just nudged his sound up a bit?

I know this all dates back to a time when bass players would follow the melody and, certainly, for some of the Beatles stuff that prominent bass is just the thing but ... for crying out loud Paul ... let someone else through the mix!

btw, I don't buy into the "his bass lines covered mistakes by .... " No, on too many tracks the bass is just to high in the mix

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Reporter: "Is Ringo the best drummer in rock n roll?"

Lennon: "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Now, what were we talking about? :lol:

Just another garage band that didn't know when to quit. They shoulda got 'em some cowboy hats and learned a few Okie songs, than they might have REALLY been somebody!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
He is a musician. While he is distinct on every instrument he plays, his voice is clearest and singular on bass.

I remember reading that learning to ride a bike was hard for him because he wanted to pedal backward and being lefthanded his approach on all things was just a little different. It is inspiring to see how folks can take seeming disability and it provides the necessity to create new paths and methods which change a lot of things for others in their perception.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
He is a musician. While he is distinct on every instrument he plays, his voice is clearest and singular on bass.

I remember reading that learning to ride a bike was hard for him because he wanted to pedal backward and being lefthanded his approach on all things was just a little different. It is inspiring to see how folks can take seeming disability and it provides the necessity to create new paths and methods which change a lot of things for others in their perception.

Oh man, you just had to go and tell that story, now we'll have to listen to Blowtorch FOREVER tellin' evabody Paul couldn't ever ride a bike without gettin' it all assbackwards. Sheesh, don't you EVER learn?

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Reporter: "Is Ringo the best drummer in rock n roll?"

Lennon: "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Now, what were we talking about? :lol:
Ha ha, like all factoids there's no record in writing, or filming interviews the he ever said that. And if he did, it was an in-joke that no one or very few understood. A pun. Now see how the quote changes "vibe" if I spell "best" with a capital B:

"Lennon: "He's not even the Best drummer in The Beatles."

it was purely a reference to Pete Best, their original drummer. Flew over most peoples head. The capital B isn't heard when speaking. Not that Pete Best was the best drummer, or better than Ringo Starr. Just "the Best in Beatles". And Ringo wasn't Best, it was Pete Best that was their Best. Get it?

And if someone else said it, it was still a reference to Pete Best:

Last edited:

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Oh man, you just had to go and tell that story, now we'll have to listen to Blowtorch FOREVER tellin' evabody Paul couldn't ever ride a bike without gettin' it all assbackwards. Sheesh, don't you EVER learn?

Nothing wrong with the Torch playing his hit. I don't get tired of it. Are you saying you don't want him to rip on all beatles?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Needless to say he's the one with the gazillion £ bank account etc and I cannot understand anyone that can't appreciate their legacy. He is an excellent bass player and so too several other instruments, however .... and this is just my opinion ....

I find a lot of his bass playing on Beatles tracks, although strangely not so his 'own/solo' stuff, .... to be way over fussy.

It's just all over the tracks with fills and flurries that, tbh, over time just start to detract from the songs.
Another little irksomeness (sic) for me is, how did he manage to get the bass so forward in so many of the mixes. Was he always last man out the control booth and just nudged his sound up a bit?

I know this all dates back to a time when bass players would follow the melody and, certainly, for some of the Beatles stuff that prominent bass is just the thing but ... for crying out loud Paul ... let someone else through the mix!

btw, I don't buy into the "his bass lines covered mistakes by .... " No, on too many tracks the bass is just to high in the mix

well, yeah, he's no Klaus Voorman

joealso

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
which one was paul again?
i get them confused
1200px-The_Monkees_1966.JPG

I think you've got them confused with the Prefab Four

urbandefault

Tele-Holic
Ha ha, like all factoids there's no record in writing, or filming interviews the he ever said that. And if he did, it was an in-joke that no one or very few understood. A pun. Now see how the quote changes "vibe" if I spell "best" with a capital B:

"Lennon: "He's not even the Best drummer in The Beatles."

it was purely a reference to Pete Best, their original drummer. Flew over most peoples head. The capital B isn't heard when speaking. Not that Pete Best was the best drummer, or better than Ringo Starr. Just "the Best in Beatles". And Ringo wasn't Best, it was Pete Best that was their Best. Get it?
"Humor. It is a difficult concept." :p

Tweeker

TDPRI Member
That was a gratuitous K-Pop reference. ;)
Absolutely. Gratuitous. "Girl Groups or Groups of Girls" - YOU DECIDE!

And it's meant for entertainment purposes. 'Added value', if you will. No extra charge.

But it's also a somewhat serious/snarky comment on this thread that asks a variation on the eternal/infernal question "how do we qualify/evaluate the music/musician"?

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I think of McCartney as a guy that plays bass with a lot of mental influence from other instruments. Yeah, he plays bass, but he seems to ‘think’ in other instruments fairly regularly.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
After his first album "McCartney" the Bowl of Cherries album he was credited with playing and singing vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, drums, piano, organ, percussion, wineglasses and the mellotron plus effects. I knew then that this wasn't any ordinary bass player. But if you asked me what does he play? I say bass. I played bass in a band for most all my teenage years. My idols were Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Stanley Clarke and Felix Pappalardi.