Is patience a virtue?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by KingFool1, Oct 5, 2013.

1. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

I modifying a '02 MIM standard Tele. I've already changed the bridge to a Fender vintage style 3 brass saddle. I've gotten a 4 way switch, new 250k pots that I'm planning on installing soon. I've ordered a set of Bill Lawrence Wilde Keystones but am waiting on them to arrive (I'm aware that there's a fairly long wait time) which is fine.

My quandary is the 4 way switch wiring diagram says that the neck pickups cover should be removed from the common and connected to a separate ground. The Keystones don't have a metal cover on the neck pickups. Should I take apart the MIM pickup to get it wired in NOW or should I just wait on the Keystones to arrive and just do it all at one time...

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Series wiring work well with the Keystones, and probably much less well with stock. I would wait. Luckily, the Keystones keep their blue ground separate from the coil's black.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you want to use the MIM neck pickup with the 4-way, you do have to run a separate ground for the pickup cover. With a 4-way in the series position, both of the neck pickup coil wires are in the signal path.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think this is a matter of patience. Lifting the cover ground and adding a new ground wire to the pickup doesn't hurt it in any way, unless, of course it's an old valuable pickup of some sort.

As far as patience being a virtue, it depends on your point of view. If you need a loaf of bread, and you have to count out change to buy it, a patient store clerk is a virtue. If I'm standing in line behind you and you can't remember the PIN number of any of the three debit cards you try, all the while telling your neighbor (three lanes over) about the adorable thing little Retch just did with the babysitter's dog, then have to dig around in a steamer trunk sized bag for your coin purse, count out approximately 8,000 coins (being sure not to spend the Buffalo nickel that uncle Horace retrieved from your ear at your ninth birthday party, and telling everybody about how funny Uncle Horace was when he got a few beers under his belt), and you find that you're thirteen cents short, so you search around for your checkbook, and write a check out in exquisite copperplate italic, only to find that it wasn't a check at all, but a deposit slip, and how we laugh, and then try to borrow the thirteen cents from the neighbor, only to find that the neighbor, by now has gone home and rototilled the entire yard while you're still buying bread, then you notice that the price that rang on the register didn't match the price on the shelf, because the price you remembered from the shelf was the price of bread in 1974, then patience isn't a virtue, because you're about to be devoured by an angry Sasquatch.

5. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

So of course I couldn't wait... It's a good thing I began anyway.

I was laying out all the parts to see how everything would fit together and after putting the switch onto the control plate I noticed that the slot for the switch wasn't long enough to allow the switch to throw completely to all 4 positions. I ended up having to file away the lower portion of the switch arm (below where the knob slides on) down on both sides and lengthening the slot on the control plate also.

6. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

Maybe a silly question or maybe my eyesight isn't what it used to be.... The only capacitors that I've ever replaced before were BIG Electrolytic caps on a small Amp. I know that they had a definite polarity oreintation (also needed to be drained).

Question - I'm replacing all electronics on a MIM Telecaster, new pots, 4 way switch, jack, and pickups. I got a kit from Angela.com. The new .047 cap doesn't appear to have any polarity marking that I can see. The original cap is even smaller and I can't read anything on it but a few small letter/numbers. Are these a different type of Capacitor and don't have polarity -or- is it that they are so small it doesn't matter? I also don't see any polarity markings on the wiring diagram (Fender issued w/switch).

Thanks, Bill

7. Green Funyuns

Green Funyuns Former Member

Not a silly question at all. The low voltage caps used as tone control caps in passive guitar circuits like a Tele are non-polarized types, meaning there is no + or - lead, so you can solder them into the circuit in either orientation. Some über geeks will bray that even a non-polarized film cap has one lead attached to the outer foil and hence should be pointed toward circuit ground for better shielding/lower noise, but in the case of a guitar tone cap, this doesn't apply.

8. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

Thanks Green Funyuns for the quick response.

BTW - I really enjoyed reading all the Austin, TX stories on the Albert Collins thread.

9. Green Funyuns

Green Funyuns Former Member

Thanks, good luck with your wiring. If you find that .047 cap a little too muffled, try a .022, that's what I've settled on.

10. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

So my keystones arrived and are in place. I'm still tweaking the height adjustments but I'm very happy with the results. I had the control plate already wired up, so the installation went very quickly and smoothly.

I would say that the BL Keystones have much more clarity across all the string and higher on the neck without being overly bright. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has been touting these excellent pickups, I never would have heard of them otherwise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.