Is Old Music Killing New Music?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Not really. it killed the new music for sure. But i am part of it and who can remember my tunes ?
nobody. maybe because there were not good un oeuf ?
but agreed. Nowadays if you don't make a video of your song, chances are getting slimer.

edit it killed everybody. Plus the diziz, and your band can't tour anymore. The old time crowd will buy records, but i guess that is not enough.

Some bands which required touring
Southern culture on the skids, Rev Horton heat, the supersuckers, dash rip rock and so on. they were established, but nowadays..... Well you know
Go check out bloodshot bill.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
New music is suffering from an industry that doesn't invest in artist development like they used to. A celebrity and a laptop is the mode that has all the money-interests trying to drop the next canned sound.

There is some good music, but most isn't getting any real support from a dying record business.
The old music business is dying, but the replacement hasn't come along yet. There still hasn't been a major artist who has emerged solely thru an alternative to the major label machine. Some have gotten noticed, but then they al get the big push that only big money can provide.
Isn’t he best known for being in big black and being a curmudgeon?
And playing poker.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Meister
Nope. New technology is killing new music.
The old stuff has errors on it, because humans made it.
Now everything is precise and robotic and humans don't like robots.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire

I saw this article on google news this morning. What do you think about it? It does not surprise me, because most young people I know seem to like old music better.
Music evolves but stays the same. Nothing new that isn’t based on what’s gone before. Sooner or later it goes full circle.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Music evolves but stays the same. Nothing new that isn’t based on what’s gone before. Sooner or later it goes full circle. Old to you was new to Mozart. New to today’s teenagers is old to you.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Great read and to some extent same old same old. I personally think he(?) overlooked the power of Shazam style discoveries. I listen to Leenalchi which is a funky group from Korea I discovered by holding my phone up during a tourism commercial. I sincerely hoped the predatory music industry of the past would be dead by now but they managed to worm their way into streaming platforms at the last minute. Also more and more bands are advertising themselves by playing homemade videos on YouTube.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
No disrespect to the OP but I think the whole premise of the article is silly. New music either stands on it's own or it doesn't regardless of what came before. Additionally the whole system of producing, marketing and delivering music today is so dramatically different from that of even 20 years ago as to make any comparison moot.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I view it more as a self-inflicted wound than a killing. Labels used to invest in talent rather than manufacturing disposable celebrities. The new music numbers on Spotify look strong but how many of those acts will still be charting a couple of years from now? I think it's a safe bet that Dylan, et al will still be around.

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
The industry has changed for sure. There is so much available now that music is just watered down in the masses. Statistically the bell curve has leveled a lot so not one idiom or generation is superior to another regardless of your opinion on content. Also new artists can be short lived. One Youtube sensation can die after a few months and be replaced with another. It is perplexing. I would not want to be a young musician now trying to make a living. Its like a lottery out there. Either your music catches on or it doesn't.