Is Nostalgia a Wrong Reason to Buy a Guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marc2211, Feb 25, 2019.

1. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Some of us did some really stupid stuff when we were young. Chances are that guy regrets what he did. Maybe he'd even like to buy it for you.

dolfer and marc2211 like this.
  2. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

If you aren't going to play it, and unless you're just rolling in money, I'd say let it pass. Hang on to the memories but move on. What would happen if you ran into that old girlfriend of yours now that you're married to someone else? lol

marc2211 likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I think no reason is a good reason to buy a guitar. So you're covered.

Hey, maybe that should be Gibson's new sales Slogan. "No reason is a good reason to buy a Gibson"

Sounds better than "Only Gibson is Ok enough"

marc2211 likes this.
  4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Buy it, my wife can’t play but she had a little harmony acoustic when she was a kid, it her parents traded it in for a Lark. She hated that , so when she saw the same cheap harmony on EBay she bought it. She picks it up and strums it once in a while, it makes her happy !
    I think owning things that help you connect with your cherished memories is a great thing !

marc2211 likes this.
  5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

the story behind the original will not fade away with a new guitar.
    if you would buy another guitar, why not one that will inspire you to play different

marc2211 likes this.
  6. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I wouldn't want either of my first two electric guitars -- they were rubbish, sounded crap and were hell to play. But guitar number three was a Harmony H75, a really nice semi with three Dearmond pickups. I bought it from Hessy's in Liverpool early in 1963 and gigged it all over Merseyside for about a year before trading it towards an ES330. I'd like another H75 -- but I'd love another '64 ES330.

marc2211 likes this.
  7. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

I’m a bad example... 3 weeks ago I bought a brand new VM Fender Squier Jaguar after trying it in a local store...
    The reason? I had a cheap guitar when I began playing electric guitar in the late 60s in that style and sold it when I stopped playing for 7 years.
    Of course I started playing again, bought an acoustic first, then an electric, and I now have many Teles, a Strat, etc...
    But when I play that Jaguar, I go back in time to my first years, can smell that guitar my parents bought me used from someone who played it in bars, and I love how that Jag sounds like the one I had.
    It just makes me feel good every time I play it...
    So yes, nostalgy is a good reason to buy a guitar... ;-)

marc2211 likes this.
  8. pachyderm

pachyderm TDPRI Member

I'd also add, buy a time machine go back in time whip that dude's ass and grab that guitar from him...

Also buy that guitar.

marc2211 likes this.
  9. aksaiz

aksaiz TDPRI Member

Back in the late 60's I bought a '65 Gibson Melody Maker D with vibrato from a friend for $100. It was a really great sounding easy player. For some reason that escapes me now, I sold it to another friend for $100 in '72. Seemed like a fair deal. Now I have a collection of 45 guitars, 7 of which are teles. I have been lusting after that Melody Maker for a few years now, but I just can't bring myself to drop $1500 - $2200 that the market is getting. Don't get me wrong I have spent much more than that for a single guitar but the $100 thing weighs heavy on my mind. Now I'm retired and don't have the cash to throw around on guitars like I did a few years ago. I would have to sell or trade something of equal value and I'm not prepared to do that. What the hell is a guy to do?

marc2211 likes this.
  10. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Take a high resolution photo of a '65 Melody Maker, blow up to life size, hang on wall. Because in reality, you would play a real one about as much as the poster version. Smiley.

marc2211 likes this.
  11. armandodiaz

armandodiaz TDPRI Member

I bet with all the fake relic guitars, you wish you would have kept the original?

I still have my first real guitar (2nd overall), 69 Fender Musicmaster. Kinda useless for anything I play, but I hang it up to remember my past. One day, I decided I wasn't going to play anymore and pawned everything, including an 85 Marshall 800 50w half cab. I got rid of everything but still left my Musicmaster under the bed. Today, I am so happy I kept it, but think about what an idiot I was to get rid of my Marshall. Nowadays, I have over 15 guitars and have been through many Marshalls.

Moral of the story... there's no such thing as a bad reason to buy another guitar.

marc2211 likes this.
  12. mictester

mictester TDPRI Member

You really want it? Can you afford it? If both answers are "yes", then BUY it!

13. aballen

aballen Tele-Meister

I can't believe you're have not bought it already. If you have the cash; make it yours.

I still have my first guitar. It's an old made in Korea LP-100. It's not a great guitar, but I'm sentimental about it. I never play it, it does not sound very good, but it hangs on my wall right next to my Martin's and my Ron Kirn Strat. Wouldn't have it any other way.

marc2211 likes this.
  14. Spox

Spox TDPRI Member

Brings back not so repressed memories of borrowing a cheap Kay electric from a friend at school, whilst I was playing it the trem snapped off and I was so mortified I sold the guitar and never mentioned it again. I was 14, it was a dumb thing to do and I've been riddled with guilt about it ever since. I met up with a mutual classmate about fifteen years ago and he said I shouldn't worry about it as the guy had landed on his feet and was doing well in life.

I'd say buy the Silver Series, I own one and it has a great neck albeit I modded the guitar then restored it to stock then removed the neck and had it fitted to a Squier Pro Tone body and now thinking of buying the full Pro Tone guitar, having the mods transferred to that, having the Silver Series put back together and selling that and the Pro Tone body. That's the thing with getting old, we footer with stuff, guitar equivalent of toaster spliced with a Betamax VCR sitting in shed?

marc2211 likes this.
  15. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Two words... BUY IT!!!! ;)

marc2211 likes this.
  16. Mark Twain

Mark Twain NEW MEMBER!

Buy it! -- Name it Rosebud!

marc2211 likes this.
  17. billstyler

billstyler TDPRI Member

Nothing wrong with buying nostalgia. I just can't afford what I sold between '65 and '75, so if I find a re-issue of those, I'm all for it. We all probably have learned the same lesson: when you think you should sell a guitar you like, you are thinking upside down. Don't do it. Bites you in the regretful ass every time.

marc2211 likes this.
  18. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

I've always wanted that Fender "pokka dot" model .... not the guitar, just the model in the pokka dot bikini.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.