Is Nostalgia a Wrong Reason to Buy a Guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marc2211, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey Marc...I think you got your answer. I can't think of a better reason to buy one. I "lost" my first decent guitar, also a Guild, when a friend borrowed it and he and the guitar disappeared. I keep an eye open for used Guilds and am sure one day I'll grab one. I don't really need it but then again I don't really need to be spending time here yet here I am with no regrets.

Cheers

Bob M, marc2211 and t guitar floyd like this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Also: by my calculation I reckon you're just approaching the time of life when nostalgia starts to play more and more of a role. Learn to love it and don't worry. The phase won't last more than about 60-70 years. After a chance encounter last week, I spent many hours looking out videos of 1950's London buses, RTs to be precise. I spent many happy hours in my childhood on route 197 around South Norwood, sitting in the seat behind the driver.
    p678130534-4.jpg

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just bought a AVRI '57 RI in CAR because I lost a CAR strat on layaway when I was 17, (at this point it's my 5th strat and I generally only play teles)

You know what I would do, SO DON'T BUY IT .. I'm obviously a sick individual.

you need it like a fish needs a bicycle in the head. You probably need to find that guy and kick his butt in genuine all out Hank Hill style, preferably in front of his wife and children, then you might find closure? [​IMG]

marc2211 likes this.
  4. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Nostalgia is never a good reason for anything. Memories of the past are lie. It was never exactly like how you remember it. But, if you want to buy a guitar. . .I'll allow it.

5. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

When I was about 14 I hung out quite a bit at the only music store in town, my buddy worked there so it was where our band rehearsed. The owner was a VERY generous man who had no reservation allowing me to borrow a brand new Gibson Gold Top Deluxe right off the wall when my guitar was giving me problems. This would have been about '74?

Now why on earth he would loan this to a 14 year old kid I have NO idea but I took good care of it and borrowed it several times always bringing it back in fine shape. I've considered buying a vintage model just for the memories but I have guitars I barely play now so...…………….

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I say buy it. Either of two things will happen: 1, you will love it and be happy about it forever, or 2, having the nostalgia itch scratched, you will no longer be enamored with the idea of that guitar, and the torment will be ended; then you can then either keep it or sell it. Either way, you win.

Also, this reminds me of the time, back in college, my friend Phil got talked into letting some guy borrow his '62 Strat for a gig. About two songs into the set, the guy took the guitar off and bounced it off the stage and looked like he was fixing to bash it around a bit. Phil jumped on the stage and decked the guy. End of show. It was awesome.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  7. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

I'm having lots of trouble trying to understand this sentence. Does not compute . . . o_O

8. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Get it.

Hope someone eventually busted that guy in the chops.

Fireball519, Wildcard_35 and marc2211 like this.
  9. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Is nostalgia a good reason to buy a guitar ? Probably not. But then, unless you are a professional musician, there's no need to buy any guitar. It's not about the need for an instrument, it's about the enjoyment it brings to you. We've all had guitars in past that we wish we had back. That's just part of the journey. If you can swing getting it, go ahead, and enjoy it. Just remember, often times the past wasn't quite as wonderful as we thought it was

t guitar floyd and marc2211 like this.
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Right after HS graduation in 1965 I bought a new sunburst Jazzmaster. Loved that guitar and gigged with it a bunch until the mid 70's when my wife left me with our four young sons to raise alone. Ended up selling the guitar. That was a poor decision that I always regretted.

Since I no longer gigged (other than solo with an acoustic) after that I just couldn't justify buying another. Shortly after the Squier VM Jazzmasters came out I got one in sunburst (like the old one) and feel like I have the old one back. Put a set of Fender Original Vintage '62 pickups in it and I was set.

Nostalgia, maybe, but it is still my favorite electric. Zero regrets.

Get the guitar!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't buy stuff for nostalgia, but in this case the nostalgia is only one component in the reasons to buy a quality guitar.
    I'd buy it because you only have one Strat, you like Strats, you like MIJ Squier Strats, it's nearby and they are hard to find in your area, it's a decent price, it's in nice condition for its age, it's good to have a spare, it might be less likely to get stolen...

Need more?

Wildcard_35, WingedWords and marc2211 like this.
  12. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

A real tragedy indeed ! Such a shame that some humans have such a propensity to choose so poorly !
    I say buy it if you want. It's no sin to indulge in nostalgia on occasion ......
    Maybe it will help you neutralize some of the negative energy you've been carrying all this time and free yourself from the effects of this unfortunate experience ......

marc2211 likes this.
  13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

There are many reasons to buy a guitar. I don't think I'd buy one for this particular reason. An EX is an EX. Let bygones be bygones.

marc2211 likes this.
  14. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

There is never a bad reason to buy a guitar.

15. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

There is no bad reason to buy a guitar.

16. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

all the stuff i got me couz i was nostalgic didn't really turn out to be as i remembered them.... was kinda a bummer :(

telemnemonics and marc2211 like this.
  17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I did a nostalgia buy a few years back. The first decent guitar that I ever purchased with my own money was a USA Peavey Predator AX. I remember that guitar fondly. It played nicely and didn't have the crappy tuners or crappy fretwork of the previous cheap guitars I had. I owned it for about four years before I sold it for money to buy something else. Ever since then I thought about that guitar and how cool it would be to find one in nice shape.

I did find one on eBay. It was in excellent shape for a 25-year oldish guitar and it played nice. But I had a couple of American Strats and a Tele that were way nicer. It didn't live up to its nostalgia for me and I ended up moving it on a short while later.

The nostalgia buy was bad for me, but it might be different for you.

marc2211 likes this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i would would find that guy and he would be buying it

19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Last year I sold the first electric guitar I ever bought, some 35 years ago. It had been in the closet for many years. On the day I bought it this guy visiting at the house where I lived played it and then stood it up against the wall where it promptly fell over and took a 1/4" chunk out of the headstock. "Oops" he said, not very convincingly (yes, it was THAT Gil Morales). Anyway it always pissed me off to look at that guitar because it always made me think about that. I took it out to make sure it was OK before taking it to Starving Musician, and thought, "wow, it sounds and plays pretty nice", followed by "... and it always pisses me off to look at it".

I took some photos of it that I can cross reference if needed. I have 4 or 5 other guitars that get played a lot so it's not missed.

Bottom line, it's clearly very personal!

marc2211 likes this.
  20. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

If you got the dough it is a no brainer to me.

marc2211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.