Is my Traynor YBA-1 stock or modded?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Telefan33, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

The Mk1 had six diodes, D1 - 6, for the HT rectifier and Mk2 had a bridge block rectifier. Apart from that check the model variation with the service information for the version you have.
    Can't see any extra bits added to it from your photo so probably original components from the early 70s.

3. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

It's a 1972 and has original transformers and caps but was missing logo so I was just curious what else it had going on and when I opened it up it looked clean. The head looks like it had been sitting in an attic for years. I got it converted to a 3 prong and have to say it sounds better than any Marshall I have ever played. I have bought some new tubes because I figured I'll be using this amp a lot. I was considering using an attenuator but I think I should leave well enough alone.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Most amplifiers sound 'better' than a Marshall in my opinion.;)

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Basically what you have there is the Marshall plexi, with a few exchanged parts it will become a plexi , there is a reason why a plexi sounds much different than say a JCM in the marshall world , I like the sound of my 83' JCM 800 more than i do with my fender amps, but i use the fender for crisp top end and the Marshall driving mids .

I have some info from a book titled "the guitar amp hand book" by David Hunter that describes your amp in fine detail then talks about the plexi mods in great detail

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.