1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is My Tele a Fake?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Psmity, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The teardrop area around the truss rod opening of an American headstock is typically BROWN. Mexi's are typically BLACK. The tuners won't matter if the neck was purchased separately.

2. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

lol...We're 6 pages in, and every couple of hours someone else says "Oh yeah...and American necks don't have plastic plugs." :lol:

3. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Did you already answer your question "Is my Tele (American) a fake?" by discovering it's got a Mex (supposed to be a USA) body? At this point, what more crime is it if the neck is a fake?

If it's OK with you that it has a Mexican Fender body, why didn't you just buy a MIM Tele in the first place? As many of the PuP's used on USA Tele's like the "TexMex" model ARE made in Mexico?

Considering the first Lie in Purchase (the body), demand your money back and inform the seller any delay means you call HIS local police or Sheriff's Office for committing Interstate Fraud in a sale. And then go find a sweet condition MIM Tele, then soup it up yourself.

Ps - If you believe that the neck is a fraud MIA or even a fake MIM, Fender has and will help you determine that and the legal team will investigate and prosicute an offending counterfeiter. Depending on where you are located I highly suggest you contact Fender Corporate in Arizona or if you are in California and somewhere nearby the Corona facility, go by there with the neck and ask for help with the suspected fraud. Google phone numbers and addresses.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

I am somewhat near corona but I've already returned the guitar and got my money back. I am also convinced the seller thought he had an American neck so I would be at least 2 people down the line making it much harder to track down the original counterfeiter.

5. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

*Update*

Purchased this beauty after returning the other guitar. 2014 American Professional Standard HS.

This is the model predating the current "American Professional" models. The humbucker can be split to give the classic tele bridge sound.

Plays and sounds fantastic, can confirm this one is fully American.

IMG_20191105_181348192_PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    DanDII and ferdtuff like this.
  6. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those were a cool series of guitars done for Guitar Center/Musician's Friend here in the USA and a couple of dealers in the UK/EU. Technically they were "USA Professional", which differentiates them slightly from the later American Professional series.

I've seen a couple of these where folks have replaced the pickups with Lace Sensors to re-create the old Tele Plus model from the early 1990s that Johnny Greenwood is known for using.

neocaster likes this.
  8. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

I've seen those too. Pretty cool guitars. I think I'm going to keep this one stock at least for now. I might put one of fenders new noiseless pickups in the neck at some point but for now I'm very happy with it as is.

9. Mitch Roberts

Mitch Roberts Tele-Holic

I love a happy ending. Congrats on a stellar looking Tele.

ferdtuff and Psmity like this.
  10. a7marshal

a7marshal TDPRI Member

Every partscaster could be considered a "fake" because it's not something that Fender sold as a unit in a store or online. As far as quality goes, many partscasters play great. I'm not sure if my Classic Baja Player's Tele is a "fake" now or not because I changed it to noiseless pickups. That was my only mod though.

11. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

I guess "fake" is a relative term, but there's a difference a partscaster made from genuine parts and one made from non-genuine parts.

Anyway, the guitar was returned and has been replaced with a nice American tele (see above)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.