1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is My Tele a Fake?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Psmity, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

If it is a parts caster what does it matter? Just saying. Unless you got skinned for a lot of $. I built a parts caster with a body and neck that I custom ordered built to my specs from a Fender licensed parts manufacturer called Musikraft in New Jersey. I put hand wound (again to my specs.) Lindy Fralin pups in it with Callaham hard ware including control plate. It sounds great and plays great which is why I built it out of custom ordered parts instead of depending on a mass produced product and adjusting my playing to fit their idea of neck & body specs.. Oh, and I built it to play not to resell or collect for $. IMO if you like the way your new "Tele" plays and sounds that's all that matters.

2. MTorr03

MTorr03 TDPRI Member

It’s a partscaster. Seems like the seller was up front about that much. I wouldn’t have bought it for that reason alone...

3. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Looks like you were taken advantage of - sorry to say. There are a LOT of jerk-dishonest people out there. "If" you bought through Reverb.com (for sure) or e-Bay (not sure), you should have recourse through them for having been delivered a guitar that was misrepresented in the ad run by the Seller. With no assumptions about how long you have played or how many instruments you have previously bought, if you are in fact less experienced in that arena, I would suggest buying from a local reputable store, or from a true store on Reverb.com or a store's website, but not a private buyer.

4. lightningflash

lightningflash Tele-Meister

An American made neck wouldn't have a black truss rod plug.

5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Ahhh ... the real beauty of my having only partscasters. They play beautifully, sound great, look amazing ... and are custom made to my exact requirements. It doesn't matter where any part of them came from, because they are perfect. Resale value isn't even on the list because I didn't build them to make a deal. Life *is* good. I just keep reducing stuff that requires worry or concern and it keeps getting better.

Erwin and slacquin like this.
  6. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

I would never buy anything from Reverb, no matter what the price.

7. Telocast

Telocast TDPRI Member

Hey I have a Mexican Tele I bought about 5 years ago I put in the John Stannard pickups in in from Angeltone pickups ! http://www.angeltone.com/ Your guitar looks nice just play it and have fun with it ! Lots of the guys do mods !!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. Null99

Null99 TDPRI Member

Not an American neck. An American neck truss rod adjustment hole would be wood, not plastic.

9. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

Take a close look at the circle around the truss rod adjuster, if it’s painted on the headstock it’s a fake and If it’s a round piece of wood pressed into the headstock it’s a real fender. The string tree on my 93 is not like the one on yours. Also there’s usually a tag on the heel of the neck and some QC stamps

10. jasperthecat

jasperthecat TDPRI Member

To be fair I've not read every post in the thread so I'm just offering my views on the matter.
    While I would be rather P'd off if I'd been sold something based on information given which later turned out to be false irrespective of whether or not I was sold it in good faith, if I was happy with the finished guitar and providing I'd not paid a huge premium for it, as long as it played well, I wouldn't be at all bothered.
    The authenticity only represents a possible problem if you're looking to re-sell it and possibly recover your outlay.
    It was never sold as a factory original American guitar, therefore it's simply a partscaster but who's to say it doesn't look, play or sound as good as a genuine American model?

A couple of years ago I bought a used Squier Custom Tele ( P90s) with the sole intention of using the body as a donor for the pups I had wound for me back in the 70s when I was a full time pro and on the road for well over a decade. The original guitar the pups were wound for had quite a bit of hammer and wear while I used it on the road so the Squier was to be used to replace the original body as I've not come across better sounding pups even today.
    As it happened, the seller of the Squier, had used its neck on a Godin and was only selling it at the time as he was selling them both. He was a full timer like I'd once been so had given it a bit of fret wear but I spent a day on it carefully leveling the frets and re-crowning them, shimming the neck, setting up the action etc and after playing it, I liked the feel and sound so much that I shelved the original idea of using the body as a donor body. To be honest, of all the guitars I've ever owned, I can genuinely say that the little Squier plays probably the best of any guitar I've ever picked up. I love the action as low as possible and it meets my needs perfectly.

I currently have seven 6 string guitars at my disposal in my home studio including a Gretsch 5120 and Mex Tele with American pups and the Squier Custom is my instant goto guitar. I paid the princely sum of about £125.00 for it but I'm so happy with it that even if I was offered £500.00 for it now, unless I was giving up playing, I'd certainly not sell it.

Look at your purchase as a custom guitar, set it up or get it set up for you if are unable to do it yourself and turn it into something personal! If I was still full time and on on the road, I'd not hesitate to use the Squier as my primary guitar.
    With the exception of an occasional guitar nerd, the vast majority of any audience couldn't give a monkey's with regard to which guitar the artist they're listening to is playing...they're only interested in the sound he/she produces with it and the vast majority wouldn't be able to tell whether it was a £50.00 guitar or a £5000.00 one!

11. kingmlg

kingmlg TDPRI Member

93 am std neck. IMG_4748.JPG

Psmity and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope you learned a lesson here, because doing this takes a lot of practice, or a lot of luck.

[​IMG]

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  13. driesenries

driesenries TDPRI Member

You have to watch out these days. The guitar market is flooding with counter fake guitars with Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker logo's on it. If you don't know the details of the instrument you actually want to buy, chances are big that you end up with a fake product. The Chinese can build a Guitar for less than 120$ and sell it for 250-300$. A Chinese "American" Fender will be very unnoticed on the market unless you really know your details. If it's too good to be true, don't do it!

14. evilBOXevil

evilBOXevil TDPRI Member

Happy you got your money back, and hopefully the seller was actually mistaken and not hoping for a scam.
    Not that it matters now, but that body is definitely a MIM, but that neck is most likely an old rondo neck before they had to change the headstock shape. They still sell the SX models with the Fender shape in other parts of then world. It's the nut and end of the "rosewood"on that neck, and the heel with that 5th hole that looks just like an SX I had years ago.
    Probably not a bad guitar, but $500 is more than a used MIM, and misrepresentation of a product is always bad. Just glad you got it refunded!!

15. steve1961

steve1961 TDPRI Member

A fairly easy way to spot a Fender USA neck is to look at the truss for plug. Usually American necks have a brown wood plug and nearly all non USA Genders have a black wood plug.

16. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic

The giveaway is the black plastic truss rod sleeve, American Fender’s have a walnut/ wood plug

17. brashboy

brashboy TDPRI Member

You cannot sell it as a Fender in good faith, so best to return it and not take the loss.

18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

It looks like a Squier or off brand neck, look at that plastic truss rod insert.

19. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Looks real to me, but I'm not an expert on Teles.

20. Mr dunlop

Mr dunlop TDPRI Member

Glad you are getting a refund!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.