1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is My Tele a Fake?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Psmity, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

If it looks like a Tele, plays like a Tele and sounds like a Tele then it's a Tele. Whether it's a Fender or not is another story but then if you paid the right money for it who cares?

stantheman likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I believe that is the issue - the OP knew it was assembled from various parts but he paid for a USA neck/MIM body and hardware.

3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

that's a squier bullet neck without a doubt, you can rub off the logos on those with your finger so you wouldn't have to sand. that satin looking finish is very squier bullet too. B-Tele-FSR-Head1.jpg

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have a cheap Chinese Stratocaster, I can rebadge it and sell it to you as a 1954 Fender for 100 times more than it cost me, I'm sure the two of you would be very happy together.

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

MIM Fenders use the same insert.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Beagle, when I bought that '54/'63 Stratocaster it was $375.00 and I thought the price to be outrageous...
    But - I loved the way She played. PLUS all those people who re-decal? They're the True Fools. I just picked up a Labor Day Deal on Reverb for a $100 - Indonesian Stratocaster Standard with no front decal...sure I bought a "Fender" decal...but then I thought about all The Les Paul Juniors that Leslie West was picking up for less than $100 ...and I got myself the Squier Decal BECAUSE I believe that certain well-built Squiers and I'm not talking about the Made In Japan Squiers that stunned us in The 1980's either, I'm talking GOOD Asian Instruments will be HOTTER than even I believe.

I pity those people who took off their MIJ serial numbers - especially the ones at the body end of the neck.
    That's how I "cork sniff."

If it plays sweetly it doesn't matter who built it...Tadeo Gomez or Nacho Banos or Jo Hung Lo - all that matters is that You're secure and not insecure about playing it.

7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Hmmm... I think you're missing the point somewhat here. The issue is that the OP paid for Fender parts, not for Chinese parts. It's not about cork-sniffing. It's about fair and honest financial transactions. Thankfully, the issue seems to have been settled anyway.

LutherBurger and beagle like this.
  8. stantheman

Is it going back on sale? And for what price?

Almost forget to ask...Is this a Roadrunner Cartoon? I ask because the premise of someone who is uneducated shelling out a large fee for ANYTHING in the antique world sounds NUTS.

Did The O.P. actually say the cost of the Telecaster in question that was purchased?
    I've got some "Art" to sell and I was just wondering...

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm not missing your point, but you're missing mine completely ...

Exactly.

boris bubbanov and Apache Snow like this.
  10. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

Does that mean every component is made in Mexico? Is it possible the neck is made in China and that it is assembled in Mexico?

11. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

off the top of my head I THINK the Squier is A 5mm and and the MIM is probably A 3/16" but correct me if I am wrong as I have not verified this.

12. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Honestly there are some real scumbags out there selling things like this. I came across a strat cop at a flea market earlier in the year and woulda had a new guitar day had it not been for the seller trying to convince me that the brush painted shell pink was the original finish and it being a MIM stat which it was not. had a cheap neck with no seriel number and no sign of decals or the such. my guess it was a lawsuit era copy of some sort turned into an arts and crafts project.

Fendereedo and ben smith like this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender was using the plastic inserts on MIJ, MIK and MIM products long, long before they ever had production in China. So no, MIMs are made from parts processed in Mexico these days (after some early production where wood was cut in the USA and trucked down).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Psmity

Psmity TDPRI Member

It was $500 +shipping.

As for going back on sale. The seller said he was going to swap the neck for a MIM neck he had and repost it as a MIM partscaster.

My opinion is that it will be a pretty nice guitar with a MIM neck on it.

15. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

You should be able to do way better for $500.

jtees4 likes this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

If this seller knew what he was trying to sell you was not true, that is fraud in my opinion. I don't know why people try to pass off something that it is not. There are so many facsimile Fender guitars out there now, the only way to be sure is to either know your stuff, or take it to a dealer to verify it. I have build plenty of them myself, but I don't intend to sell any so that is my business. However, for those trying to get one over on someone who is a novice, shame on you.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You don't help crooks, on this board. Nor do you help people who will fall (the previous owner) for the lazy efforts of crooks.

IMO you have to take one side or the other. With crooks, or against them.

telemnemonics and stantheman like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Interesting point.

I would say there's a variety of these small inserts. You can sometimes identify one source from another, by the appearance of an insert that may look "generic" to some people.

+

Here's a situation where the nuance of the various headstock shapes comes into play. This headstock is more similar to the Cortek/Indonesian models (although so many of those are 22 fret, overhang) and the shape of some Chinese contractors who provide guitars to FMIC to be sold as "Squiers".

+

This thread aptly demonstrates why putting decals from one source on a part from another source, is wrong because can be expected to cause economic loss to "innocent" people. We as human beings don't have to make direct contact with others, to hurt them.

rangercaster and telemnemonics like this.
  19. stantheman

Well thank you for idealism Boris...
    I feel the need for some patriotic music stirring in my soul...
    Perhaps some poetry...Canada Bill Jones for Boris B. please.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  20. stantheman

And what did he do?
    He returned the instrument.

That's it right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.