Is My Soldering Right?

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
Okay. I've tried wiring the same strat with different components and diagrams and it won't work. I've tried a Les Paul with the same results. It seems like anything I solder ends up not working? Anybody have a logical reason for this?

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
IMG_20220127_230203513.jpg
IMG_20220127_230159663.jpg
IMG_20220127_230141331.jpg

MikeBee

TDPRI Member
If the solder gun doesn't put out enough heat, the component may be getting overheated and damaged. The wrong or poor quality flux and solder can cause lots of problems.
I recently was soldering copper pipes using new flux. Couldn't get the solder to take. Got pissed, found some other flux, soldering like a pro again.
No lead solder is a PITA!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I hate soldering in the first place. Then figuring out it's not working makes frustrated. Maybe I can take it somewhere
Maybe try removing all the wiring from the Strat and start over just wiring one pickup to the volume pot and output jack, try to get that to work.
Then I think you need a new switch and to solder with less solder applied, so it doesn't drip across contacts.
Learning soldering techniques is like playing guitar, start simple and practice!

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
A couple of quick comments:

You can prewire some components before installing them (e.g. treble bleed, tone capacitor). That can save a lot of hassle.

Practice on some old unused pots. Wiring is a skill and you should practice that skill on something that is not going into your guitar.

Don’t use too much wire - measure and check the length. Excess wire can make the assembly process a royal pain.

Get an inexpensive multimeter! Use it to check connections, especially from the pickup leads and at the jack. It’s very easy for a signal wire to get grounded. By the way, always try to keep the bare wires to a minimum and use electrical tape to insulate if needed.

Good luck - you can do it!

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I wouldn't go to a Guitar Center unless you're already familiar with the tech that works there. A lot of times their "tech" really isn't.

If you want to drive to Grand Rapids, try RIT music or North Coast Guitars.

Are you using a soldering "gun" or "iron" - I wouldn't let a gun anywhere near these types of things. And yes, guitar cavities are a pain to work in, but you get good at it.

But yes, with the images you've shown, the only real solution would be to start over completely.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I’m working on improving my skills as well-
Surface prep is key- scuff back of pot with sandpaper, then wipe off with alcohol to de-grease and clean the surface.

Here is my control set done two weeks ago.
You can see the scuffing on the back if the pot.
B21D402E-1086-4AD7-BCD2-C79D2B71C687.jpeg

Always tin your soldering iron tip, and the wires with solder as well.
Don’t forget to apply a bit of flux paste to the work- it helps solder flow better.

Here’s a cap that I tinned the legs on.
110DD705-870F-49D9-A0B3-FDF79AB92632.jpeg

Hope this helps- get the “helping hands” or use some locking tweezers to hold the work without burning your fingers too badly. !

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
The only problem is that the closest place that might do that would be the guitar center an hour away

My nearest brick and mortar is 2.5 hrs away.
My soldering iron puts out 734°F
Ouch! Babe, that’s too hot for guitar type stuff- only need about 375-425 maybe… you could burn out your components…

kbold

Friend of Leo's
If possible get someone to show you how to solder (a useful arsenal to have in your abilities toolkit).
Do some practice on anything (except your Strat).

If you don't know anyone who can show you how to solder, perhaps do some YouTube searching.
Warning: Some soldering advice on YouTube is crap.

Important things are: technique, timing (temp and time), and properly maintained equipment.
For example, if you don't keep the solder tip cleaned and tinned, the result will be substandard/crappy.
Soldering time around 3 seconds. Tip temp should be around 350 deg C (about 650 deg F) .... more time & temp for pot cases.

Some even recommend scuffing/sandpapering the back of pots before soldering (not mentioning names).
I 100% disagree with this idea. The plating on pot cases takes solder well without any preparation.
As for any soldering, heat up the big thing with the tip: for pot cases, heat the pot case then add the pretinned wire to the solder puddle.

When you can solder with structural integrity and without having receeding insulation due to too much heat and/or time, maybe have another go at the Strat.
You will need to take everything off, clean up the connections and restart from scratch.