Is my neck twisted? If so, need I worry?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by NateD81, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Taylor would probably just sell you a new neck to bolt on.

You could string it up with 2 wound strings on the low twisted side leaving the other strings off for a while and it might pull the twist out of it.

fenderchamp likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

To be sure it’s twisted, measure the neck relief on both high and low E strings at the same fret. If it’s significantly different on both sides, then return the guitar for sure, or make it your slide guitar.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I honestly can't tell from the photo whether it is twisted or just the normal difference in thickness of the nut from high to low strings. As with any guitar that crosses my bench I would want to measure everything before I touch any thing - relief and action on both sides of the neck. I would lay a straightedge between 1If and 2 and between 5 an 6 and look at where the end was relative to the bridge (it it is truly twisted it will be a different height off the top). I would also lay a 16 inch radius caul on the first fret and use that to sight to the body.

If you can verify that it is twisted either return it or take it to a Taylor tech - don't try to fix it yourself. If the seller is the original owner then he/she should be the one having it looked at - if he/she registered it then it will be under warranty (unless there was some abuse). It might me as simple as the neck bolts being slightly loose - that can be an issue with bolt on necks, but the bolts are under the label on the neck block and YOU should not be removing that (if it looks like it has been removed return the guitar immediately, a Taylor tech will put a new one on if they work on the bolts).

Here is what a Taylor neck joint looks like

1017191537a (1).jpg

You can see the two shims that set the angle and the holes for the three bolts

JL_LI, drmmrr55 and telemnemonics like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You cannot IME repair a twisted neck. Or not affordably.
    It looks twisted, but ats stated the look is partly the nut height of the fatter wound strings looking higher.
    The direction of twist is what i consider to be "the good twist direction" in that it adds relief under the wound strings where more relief is good.

What I'd do is get a 24" straight edge from a Staples or Home depot, and measure the relief under the high E edge of the board and under the low E edge.
    Can you adjust a truss rod?
    Set the truss rod so you have maybe .002- .004 relief on the high E side and see what the relief is under the low E side.
    Something like .012 under the low E and .002 under the high E would be about as much twist as I would call good.
    That's almost too much but it should get you a nice playing guitar for both strumming and single note up the neck.

I prefer some twist in that direction, and better players actually pay extra for a tech or a PLEK to create such a malady!

For me I'd go with .002 under the high E and .006 or so under the low E, some necks I can use with no relief at all under the high E if the frets are dead level, or if I can live with a little higher action or a little buzzing.

How you play and how you hear are components.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

This. Anything can be fixed with enough money and time, but in this case it's more trouble than it's worth, imo.

Get your money back and buy something that you can actually enjoy instead of sinking more money into something that was trashed to begin with.

6. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Yep, you are absolutely right, it's a Taylor, so it's pretty much a given that it won't be a cheap fix, and I wouldn't accept anything other than a neck replacement. If the seller won't pay for that, then all bets are off...REFUND

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Man I'd be too shy of that.
    Return it and get your money back ASAP.
    Taylor 114 is not rare.
    Find a good one

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

When you take the neck of a Taylor like that, does it wreck the finish? I haven't studied Taylors enough to know what they are like up close, but I was pretty sure on other neck reset projects, the finish needs some touching up as well, no?

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know about your neck, but your guitar's neck sure is.

Get the refund. The shipping cost is the least of your problems.

10. Charlie Bernstein

"[P]retty well"? That's not what you wanted when you bought it, is it? You won't be able to lower the action much, and the intonation will never be right.

If it were a great guitar, that'd be one thing. But it's not. Ship it back while you can.

11. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

IF you could get a new one from them, the final coat would put you in the territory of a new 114ce or a nice used 200/300 series...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

Refund and try again on another guitar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Freeman Keller

Not with Taylors - the neck and body are finished separately and the neck fits into a small recess in the body. There are two shims - one in the front pocket - it is marked with a number 6 in the photo (the laser inscribed numbers indicate the thickness of the shim). There is one under the fretboard extension marked with a 10 in the photo.

In theory a Taylor tech can make a couple of measurements and know which thicknesses of shims to install to get the proper neck angle. Its a pretty straightforward operation - my problem is that since I am not a Taylor tech I don't have access to the shims. In this case it was an older well played 314 that I was refretting so I took the neck off to do that, but I also sent the owner to a Taylor tech to actually do the reset.

The other thing that could potentially be wrong with this guitar is that the bolts might be slightly loose which can change the geometry. That is a fairly common occurance with Art and Lutherie / Seagull guitars - I have seen several that looked like they had a bad neck angle but merely needed the bolts snugged up.

And last comment about neck resets - you are correct that they are invasive and might require some finish work. Most guitars have the necks finished separately from the body and they come off relatively cleanly, but some like Guild are finished together and there will be damage (I don't reset Guilds).

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't really know what to look for to see if a neck is twisted just by eyeing it, but the measurements and methods mentioned by earlier posters would help. I know I can't tell from your pictures. From what I know about Taylors, I think it's highly unlikely that the neck is twisted.

15. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

The more I look at your picture the more it looks like what you're seeing is the nut is taller on the bass side and slopes down on the treble side. Try taking a look at it again without the nut in the photo and it looks straight.

16. Freeman Keller

That is a very strong possibility, is normal, and I told the OP how to measure it. It would be kind of embarrassing to send it back if there is nothing wrong.

17. Charlie Bernstein

I dunno. The headstock itself looks like it's lying on a different plane than the body.

Given the choice between messing with it or returning it, it seems like returning it is a wise solution.

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like it’s got a slight twist. Hard to tell from just pics. I’ve seen Taylor’s, Martins and Gibson’s do this. Might want to send it back and try another one. It happens to the best of them.

19. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

An update:

It’s a bit easier to tell when looking at the guitar but the neck does lying to be at a different plane than the rest of the guitar. I don’t think it looks as dramatic in photos. I did some crude measurements with what little tools I have but something does seem off. I hate to return things but at the same time, it’s not exactly a rare guitar and it’s really rather not take a chance. I could have paid to have it checked out, then charge the seller but if it is twisted, I’d be returning it anyway and don’t want to make it worse on the guy than it already is.

I figure I’ll just try again, see if I can find one local.

thanks everyone for the help!

theprofessor likes this.
  20. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Just look at the BOTTOM of the nut, where it goes into the slot of the headstock/fingerboard union. That line should be straight across, and parallel to the top, and you can see quite clearly it is not parallel. That neck is definitely twisted, (IMO).

NateD81 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.