Is My Amp A Time Bomb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MaxPlank, May 15, 2020.

1. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the inputs. I think I’ll put on that bomb disposal outfit and take a peek under the hood as Dacious suggests (no touchee!). If there’s no sign of leaks or bulges, maybe I’ll whistle in the graveyard for a little while longer.
    The reason I hang on to this amp is its ability to produce clean tele and strat tones of amazing beauty and look cool while doing it. If it does blow up, maybe I’ll get somebody like Alessandro to rebuild it the right way: dump the board-mounted pots, plastic jacks and the other “built-to-a-price-point” components, replace the lame Drive/More Drive circuit with tremolo and make it and the reverb foot-switchable. Piece of cake.:cool:

2. Nandrewjackson

Nandrewjackson TDPRI Member

Sounds dangerous, you should ship it to me, and include $100 for unwanted amp disposal fee, thanks!

Seriously, it oughtta be fine for a few more years.

But, if it never gets played, and its minty-fresh, sell it and find something that inspires you to play .

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't want to be the guy to tell you but....

Dacious likes this.
  4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

It’s gonna blow! Ship it to me before it’s too late.

5. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Those amps have a devoted following. Many touring artists specify them as backline when they gig with rental amps.

17 years on modern electrolytics shouldn't be an issue, but a periodic visual inspection is always a good idea. Even if you can't play it at home it pay on any tube amp, new or old, to fire it up and just let it run for an hour or two. At operating temps the heat from the tubes will boil off any accumulated effects of ambient humidity on the caps & resistors. Better yet, you need to smell the roses; get an attenuator and play it at home!

MaxPlank likes this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Amps have knobs on them. None of my amps have ever been too loud...

8. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

That reminds me of another nice-to-have mod: a linear-taper volume pot. The stock audio-taper pot on Hot Rods goes from zero to “eleven” way too quickly.

hudpucker likes this.
  9. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

This quickly jumped to a Steve Vai amp fail video. He handled it pretty well, but his dance moves were unforgivable. “What has been seen cannot be un-seen.”

tery likes this.
  10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

MaxPlank likes this.
  11. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

Sorry for the slow follow-up. I took a look at the caps and they seem to my untrained eyes to look pretty good (almost like new). I’m inclined to button up the amp and let ‘er rip. What do you think? The color of the 350v caps is actually the same as the 500v, just different lighting. Also, I’ve included a shot of two empty male blades (CP7 and CP8). Just wondering what, if anything, should connect there.
    D0E7EEB3-600B-404A-9C45-2C19DBCC3C73.jpeg A8DD1D64-4627-4919-BFAB-B73198BB8438.jpeg B0424E7C-E19F-46B9-9B5E-69A31F6A52CC.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.