Is music a competition?

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
For example, there is a huge surge of excellent female singers happening right now. I follow them as I believe this movement will become the next big thing. What I like is these are solo artists, not bands. But not all people look at it that way, in many people's eyes it's a competition and the outcome is a winner, like AGT. Sad.

What I see in the comments is so much competition, "she's better than Adele" or "Angelina Jordan is the best singer ever, no one is as good" and so on. I read that sort of viewpoint and get bothered.

Music and serious singers are not playing sports where the goal is to win. It's different, singers compete with themselves to be their iwn best. And appreciation in the form of positive critique and applause should be the response from listeners. But not all singers can rise to this level, and some singers are just not liked or talented, and that blurs the line between being you best vs simply being the best.

Am I off? Should singers be competitive like it's a sport, or is it best to appreciate them for being them and evolving, or devolving?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It’s all in the ear of the bee holder.
Planting your foot and declaring a winner is never wise, IMO.
We’ve all got opinions.
Even me.
Luckily, I’ve learned that my opinion, and $5 will get you a nice cup of coffee, or a domestic beer in many fine establishments.
What am I bid for my opinion?
I’ll start the bidding at a nickel.
I’m selling if I get a bid.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s all in the ear of the bee holder.
Planting your foot and declaring a winner is never wise, IMO.
We’ve all got opinions.
Even me.
Luckily, I’ve learned that my opinion, and $5 will get you a nice cup of coffee, or a domestic beer in many fine establishments.
What am I bid for my opinion?
I’ll start the bidding at a nickel.
I’m selling if I get a bid.

Do you take PayPal?

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Absolutely not. American Idol virtually ruined a whole generation of singers ("You gotta have runs, dog...")- It got so listening to the anthem before a sports event was a terrifying experience. There have always been lots of terrific female singers, maybe there are more in pop now, I don't know, I ignore it as much as possible.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Shouldn't be. It's more like painting a house. Takes several people, there's the dude clutching sticks that drinks too much, but when you're done, you hope to hear "this is awesome " over "never show your face here again".
Someone's bound to compare your work to others' but both houses are painted, you made someone happy, and got paid.
Would you rather have the sistine chapel recreated on your porch, or all your interior woodwork stripped and redone to perfection? Matter of opinion. If both projects are done to absolute perfection, how is a "better" one an option? Ones more impressive, one you look at much more. What's the point?

Now, when it is a competition, such as auditions for a new member, the best fit always (should) win out. What good is the flashy guy who can't commit with an ego you can't fit in the van?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
For example, there is a huge surge of excellent female singers happening right now. I follow them as I believe this movement will become the next big thing. What I like is these are solo artists, not bands. But not all people look at it that way, in many people's eyes it's a competition and the outcome is a winner, like AGT. Sad.

What I see in the comments is so much competition, "she's better than Adele" or "Angelina Jordan is the best singer ever, no one is as good" and so on. I read that sort of viewpoint and get bothered.

Music and serious singers are not playing sports where the goal is to win. It's different, singers compete with themselves to be their iwn best. And appreciation in the form of positive critique and applause should be the response from listeners. But not all singers can rise to this level, and some singers are just not liked or talented, and that blurs the line between being you best vs simply being the best.

Am I off? Should singers be competitive like it's a sport, or is it best to appreciate them for being them and evolving, or devolving?

Thoughts?
I come down on the side of music SHOULDN'T be considered a competition....BUT it's almost human nature to want to prioritize and rank anything. Even famous guitarists (Albert King for example) used jams to try and show off or humiliate other musicians. I'll sometimes "rank" guitarists, not to belittle another guitarist, but to emphasize to someone that I think "my guy" is worth listening to. Music is also considered a competition by people getting into the best schools or the higher-paying jobs......but that's just the world we live in. I'm just happy when musicians I respect feel I'm decent enough to play with, and when I'm playing with a better guitarist, I'm happy to "lay back" and do whatever I can to support him/her. I'm NOT a competitive person in general.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Call me jaded. How many of the hot new singers rely on auto tune and gymnastics like holding a high note for ten seconds? I feel like whenever I hear new singers they're lacking dynamics, always belting out, and it feels like they're yelling at us.

I really enjoy female singers with more range, like some of the smoky French artists (who also write their own songs). But do let us know if there are some that are truly musical and enjoyable, and I'll give a listen.

Len058

Tele-Meister
It's not a competition for people who really love music. The best implies it's the only thing you want/need. If I can only listen to one artist, or even only one song, just shoot me.

Lou Reed and Bob Dylan weren't great singers, but their music is epic. I get an itch every time somebody says something is the best. They always forget to add "that I know of" but when you are smart enough to know, you don't know all, you won't say something is the best anymore.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
The only competition I'm in as regards music (or any other part of life for that matter), is with myself and currently due to some left hand numbness, the version of me a few years ago is winning from the neck down only.
However, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I've never understood these 'reality' music shows or battles of the bands, or even music charts.
I'm probably in an army of one on this but I see music as a necessity not a coin shaped world commodity.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Thoughts?
The only competition I'm in as regards music (or any other part of life for that matter), is with myself and currently due to some left hand numbness, the version of me a few years ago is winning from the neck down only.
However, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I've never understood these 'reality' music shows or battles of the bands, or even music charts.
I'm probably in an army of one on this but I see music as a necessity not a coin shaped world commodity.
I probably should have asked "competition" in what sense? If you refer to these "garbage" reality shows, which I NEVER bother to watch.....a resounding NO! I thought you meant competition like legitimate musicians "competing" with each other as self-improvement. Paul McCartney has said The Beatles recorded Sgt Peppers as a response to The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. That's an example of "competition" in a good way......so, there are different facets of competition. ;)