Is modding a teles body sacriledge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Swampash&Tweed, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Teles made from custom makers are allowed a artistic interpretation I guess as long as its based on the Tele platform.

I saw this at first and I was like.....why? I guess because we are trained to not accept whats not normal right away.....

But I have to admit the more I look the more I like it.

http://treasure.craigslist.org/msg/4693610138.html

Its got to improve the playability and if it was done by a Pro I guess looks cool .

Its close enough I might just go check it out in person. But he would have to cut that price in half. Sell ability would warrant a huge cut.........but I do love those All Parts Fat SRO necks! My Avatar Tele built by Danny Hines is a Fat SRO. I love it.

2. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Neuters the design, IMO. I don't like bobbed fenders.

3. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

F ugly big time. Why do people mod their guitars like this then expect to sell it at a ridiculous price?

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Couldn't agree more! Shudder ... :oops:

5. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a First Act guitar !!! Very collectible!!! Gas!!! LMAO!!!

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes I just need to grab a Tele by the horn.

Looks like a cow...

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

It's not my cup of tea but I do think it was tastefully done and professionally done at that. It may be a touch overpriced but for the right buyer...

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Wow! What a mess!

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A partscaster with an All Parts neck and an insane price. I wonder how he installed the 'original' headstock sticker on it? I'd be more concerned about that little detail than the worth of the guitar with a hacked up body.

10. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer Tele-Meister

People can do what they want. No problem. But it's not a telecaster anymore when the shape is gone bye bye.

11. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

What an abomination...in every way. An absolute mess.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not something that would attract me and I definitely agree with the opinion KeithRichard posted here. All things unique are not universally appealing no matter how well the work was done or by whom.

13. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

It reminded me of the Reverend body shape. I thought it was cool, kind of like when Clapton played a hacked Explorer back in the 70's. but that price is stupid. I have no doubt that he put money into it to have a pro cut it , sand it and paint it. But like sixshooter said , he has to find the right buyer.

I'm not it..........

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  14. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Do whatever you want to your guitar. Sacrilege is subjective, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like things traditional, simple, and clean, but that doesn't mean the next guys sees beauty and practicality in routing the neck position for a humbucker, adding a Bigsby, chopping off the horn, taking some steel wool to the neck, maybe adding a middle pickup, 4-way switch, blah, blah, blah. Do what you want. It does sting a little when you see some really old Teles (or old guitars in general) though that have been butchered in the past and if they were left stock would be worth a small fortune today. But then again, guitars are meant to play, so if someone saw fit to do whatever to it, and played the snot out of it, then so be it!

FWIW, and being a traditional kind of Tele guy, I have to admit, I oddly enough think that guitar looks halfway decent! Call me crazy! I wouldn't own it though, and wouldn't even consider shelling out what the seller is asking for it. If you do something like that to a guitar it better be a keeper and something you really want done, because not many others are going to want it.

15. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Are you kidding? The way most of you fools swap out parts, the wood plank is the only thing original! It has to remain intact! :eek:

16. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

It don't get riled up about what people do with their stuff, but that is far from an improvement on the original design IMO. The original looks balanced, that looks like it has a massive overbite, yeesh.
    My buddies Dad told me he was a band in the 70's with a dude that cut the lower horn of a Les Paul... If he still has the guitar I bet wishes he hadn't. I also bet c-list dude will have to take fifty cents on the dollar he'd have got if he hadn't neutered the horn.

17. jay_mci

jay_mci Tele-Meister

When I said take just the tip I didn't mean to circumcise my guitar :eek:

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I am okay with it. That said, the guy seems to be in some denial about what his mods have done to the resale value. :lol:

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have actually considered doing that on a scratch build but I never did.... maybe just as well...
    I don't think it looks too bad but the value is completely gone and only the neck and other parts have value still.

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I have no comments on the price being euro, but I like the mod. Still a telecaster to me as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.