1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is "lead guitar" a lost art?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by DADGAD, Jun 17, 2013.

1. starkd12

starkd12 TDPRI Member

Ive been playing in the youth band at my church for a little over a year now, and I play lead. I play at a huge church, and we have VERY contemporary services. Im 16, and i have a very country/bluesy playing style (I live in nashville) and i often carry those styles into playing. We play a lot of Hillsong United, Jesus Culture, and Tomlin. Generally if a song has a signature riff in the intro or whatnot ill play that, but whenever there is a section where i can fit a riff or solo in, i do, and the worship leader is all for it for the most part. Ill help out with the vocals on occasion, but i generally just play lead. Because of this, alot of my worship comes through my guitar playing. If God calls us to do everything for him as best as we can, why hold back? That's how i worship is through my guitar, its a gift He gave me and I plan on using it.

(As an example for how contemporary our services are, the band that plays one of the main services, yeah the church is big enough to have two services, there is a contemporary one and a traditional one, and they stream video of the pastor into the other worship center, the band that plays in the contemporary service, their lead guitar player regularly uses a wah pedal in his solos now, and it fits in unbelievably well. its awesome)

2. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

So I thought I would share an example of some very tasty lead work done on our worship team's album released last year. The lead work comes in at 1:12 & continues appropriately throughout the rest of the track. Although I didn't play on this track, the rest of us "lead" guys on the rotation have picked up this version. The guy who played the part is one of the most humble & strong guys I know who just plays from the heart...and obviously a monster player.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/furious-live/id628083286?i=628083558

3. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

Its cool that you had a blast. I personally play for others enjoyment at church, as most "christian" contemperary music dosent really hit home with me. I enjoy christian hardcore and metal(its the music I grew up on, I guess I relate more to it?), but there are all kinds of awesome lead playing in worship music, especially in other religions. Lots of cool music in far east religions, and middle eastern. Lead playing in my opinion isnt as noticable in typical christian contemeray because its more of a pop structure, many people dont like cool solos and fills and leads like us guitarists do, they like a dancable rhythm or something they can hum to. It dosent mean we can make the music we love on the side with the same message :) bless all you guys who play for others, regardless of religion, it means alot to many members of the crowd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.