1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is "lead guitar" a lost art?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by DADGAD, Jun 17, 2013.

1. trevorsnackson

trevorsnackson TDPRI Member

My church still has solos. My pastor plays guitar every now and then. He totally SHREDS! Some people in our church started coming more because of his solos haha brings in the rockers that weren't converted into Christ yet. Solos can save lives too!

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

Actually there is a fanatical, in my opinion, core group that does take that position. They may or may not have influence with the larger congregations and church leadership about what are acceptable songs, arrangements, instruments... all the way down to how much of a musician/singer is visible to the congregation in their religious tradition.

I still hold to my theory it is the relative youth of the electric guitar and its amplifier making "lead guitar" possible which has limited its acceptance because the "classical", not popular, setlist does not exist in the public eye. I am just saying "lead guitar" played on a jazz box hollow-body guitar with a suit and tie wearing musician would probably be more accepted then lead guitar played on a 7 string solid bodied electric by a musician wearing jeans and a tee shirt.

3. Edwin

Edwin Banned

If you think that massive shred solos saves souls then carry on.

4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Man.....lighten up. I think everyone here knows how he meant it. It wasn't a statement of religious ideology. :rolleyes:

5. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Nailed it.

6. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Sure it is and I'll lighten up when it's necessary.

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

if you think that it was not necessary to lighten up then carry on :rolleyes:

8. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Will do

9. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

If you are serious and not just yanking everyone's chains, you are totally missing the point. He's not saying massive shred solos saves souls. I'm living proof, though, that God uses massive shred solos for His work. It was music played skillfully...with a huge solo...that put my reluctant rear end in a pew week after week. Was music the ONLY thing at work? Of course not, but it played a huge part.

10. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Bam

11. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Good for you.

12. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Bam? Do you think you won a prize?

13. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin TDPRI Member

When I have a guitar in my hand, a skill of which I believe God has blessed me with, I am using it to worship The Lord. Whether I'm playing a solo, or just strumming an acoustic I'm supposed to be helping to lead in worship and praise God with my instrument. Some of the most powerful worship I've ever witnessed has occurred during instrumental (guitar solos included) break.

HigherCalling.BandPage.com

14. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

I'm not religious so I don't know about Christian rock, but it seems like with modern rock in general all guitar is a "lost art", at least in the mainstream stuff. A few power chords or basic open chords, all leads are just fast pentatonic scales. It's not creative art as much as it is "look at me, I play guitar". And then people tell me to stop "living in the past" because I prefer 60s and 70s music...
    I can solo (I probably do it to much :D), but if you just told me to play a solo clean without another guitarist I wouldn't know what to do either. Maybe it's not that he can't play, maybe he just doesn't have a lot of self confidence, especially without a rhythm guitar.

15. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Too flippant?

ok then.

"Cool. It's awesome to see God working."

16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Please add me to your ignore lsit.

17. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Who knows, there may be some killer guitarist out there, but their stuff never make it in the final arrangement because nobody has the patience to listen anymore.

Ok I'll admit, I'd rather skip some of the long solos from yesteryear as a lot of them just weren't that interesting IMO. But I guess that is the challenge, right? Write a compelling solo that adds something important and interesting to the song vs. just being a break in the singing. That seems to be true regardless of the genre or setting.

Obviously when it comes to music in a religious setting, people's opinions on what is appropriate varies. And that's okay...we are all imperfect people trying to interpret things written way above our own grade level ;)

18. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

True dat. And since the variation of taste and opinions (and appropriateness) begin with people in general, it shouldn't be strange that this translates into the church, where we are called to be sensitive to what affects people, and so things are magnified a bit. Better to be conservative than to have to seek forgiveness afterwords.

I would be interested in hearing what WL's and musicians here consider to be a good example of lead guitar. For example,Lincoln Brewster's name has been mentioned. Although my taste doesn't overlap most of his work, his solo in his version of Everlasting God has worked in my churches (well, a shortened version of it, but same basic elements). My favorite example of his lead work is a live version of his "For These Reasons". It's a good interplay between his vocals and playing, which is something I like to do. On the other end of the spectrum, his lead work in his "Reaching For You" would get me hooked right off the stage on a Sunday morning, but would work on a weeknight music service.

Discuss other lead guitar examples you like or dislike?

19. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

Vineyard (especially UK) releases always have great guitar work and most have featured solos.

Couple of my favorites are ...

Your Amazing Love (starts at 2:48)
    Surrender (starts at 2:10)

very melodic and adds to the dynamics of both songs. Of course, in my opinion ;)

20. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Don't you have your own ignore button?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.