1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it wrong to like an MIM Tele over an MIA

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pinchegil, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

I respect and understand your point of view on these things, but don't you think Fender USA is taking advantage of that and is pushing guitar prices to absurd levels?

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have had at least 50+ Telecasters in my time and built at least a few for professional, working musicians.
    I have also worked on a friend's son's MIM Telecaster and, apart from a set up, I could not see, hear or discern any difference as to my Made in USA Telecaster.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well of course its not wrong. But do consider you could have two of the exact same GUITARS, either 2x MIM or 2x USA side by side , and the same thing can happen, you may like one but not the other. If you like the neck on a guitar it has zero reflection on where its made, it does not imply ALL MIM's or ALL USA's are the same and you will like them. Its really the luck of the draw.

I sure hope the intent of this conversation is not my MIM is better than your USA.

4. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

The only thing wrong in music is if it sounds wrong to yourself.

5. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Nothing wrong with MIM Fenders.
    Back in the late 1990s when Fender started producing the Fender Mexico line I purchased several 50s & 60s Strats, and a 50s Tele in white blond. Bought my first one from Brook Mays Music in Dallas, in 1998. The 50s Tele had a HUGE neck & it rocked like crazy. Great bang for the buck guitars.

6. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

No. Next....

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Kris 1111,

Is Fender forcing Buyers to pay more for a MIA guitar? :)

Is Honda forcing Buyers to pay more for an Acura?

Is Nissan forcing Buyers to pay more for an Infiniti?

You get my point :)

Jerry

8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Not from my end T Prior :)

9. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

The question “Is it wrong to like an MIM Tele over an MIA” is a little absurd. Sorry OP, I’m not saying that you yourself are absurd (the question is) but you may as well ask “Is it wrong that I consider the best hamburger I ever had was in Mexico over any I’ve had in the United States?” or “Is it wrong that my favorite shirt was made in Mexico and not the United States?”

Is it only when it comes to guitars that you grapple with such a quandary or does this come up with any effects pedals, guitar cords, straps, amps, luthier tools, mixers, monitors, or any other gear that wasn’t made in the U.S.A. that you enjoy equally as your MIM guitar yet for some reason feel “wrong” about?

If you prefer any one guitar over another and it brings you joy, my utmost respectful advice to you is simply relish that enjoyment and forget about where it was made.

Guitars were made to bring joy to yourself and the world regardless of where they were made. So, where’s the dilemma?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  10. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

There's nothing wrong with prefereing an MIM over an MIA, most of my Teles have been MIMs, because I think the quality is decent, and I usually just plain prefer their necks to the Modern C necks that most MIA Teles come with (which is too thin for my tastes). The only reason I have an MIA at the present time (a Britt Daniel Telecaster Thinline), is because I wanted another thinline, and unlike the MIM Thinline, it had a nice, and decently chunky neck, with killer pickups to boot. I played it, and I liked it so much, I didn't even consider getting an MIM thinline to mod by a neck swap, to get what I wanted. Still, that was the exception to the rule for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.