1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it wrong to like an MIM Tele over an MIA

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pinchegil, Aug 6, 2020.

1. helpful55

helpful55 NEW MEMBER!

Pic please !

2. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Those are really good.

My experience with MIM is it's good, but the pickups (if you have discerning ears) and components can usually require an upgrade. You're probably in $250 to $400 at that point if you go for something nice/boutique. But those are the biggest differences. And weight. A genuine Fender will get you lighter wood. Sometimes the fretwork on a MIM is worse, so if you don't know how to do that yourself you're looking at added expenses.

If none of that matters, they have good bones and are priced pretty fairly.

rze99 likes this.
  3. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 TDPRI Member

Those be two absolutely stunning Teles you have there. I think you've answered your own question. You prefer the MIM coz you love the neck and P90. Is it wrong to feel this way? Absolutely not! If a guitar speaks to you, it doesn't matter if it was put together in Corona or Ensenada. And don't forget, MIAs are made in the USA by Mexicans, while MIMs are made in Mexico by Mexicans ;)

RhythmFender likes this.
  4. Dismas

Dismas TDPRI Member

The only thing I really like more on MIA are the frets, they are more durable. Noting wrong with a good MIM!

5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

+1 on this. When you start customizing a $1500 guitar you start hurting the value. But why not start with a $400 guitar and make it the way you want? BTW, I carve necks too when I don't like them. My target specs are MIM. I like the way they feel.

6. kjatexas

kjatexas TDPRI Member

I like the current MIM over the MIA. The modern C neck was the best, in my estimation. Fender eliminated that from most of the MIA line, when they deleted the American Standard models. The Player series, MIM, is basically an American Standard neck. Fender made a mistake when they discontinued the AS, but then I never can figure out why their marketing department makes the decisions they do. I once worked for an older diesel mechanic. His operating principle was " if its not broke, don't fix it."
    Love that P90 in the neck.

7. sirshackleton

sirshackleton TDPRI Member

My formative musical years were in the '90s, and I think of the MIM Fenders as my generation's classic electric instrument. The only MIM I've ever owned is a mid-90s P-Bass, which I still have (paid $225 on layaway...took me two months to pay it off!), but MIM Strats and Teles were ubiquitous and it was kind of impossible not to find one in your hands at some point. I certainly played my fair share even if I never actually purchased one.

They were within reach price-wise new or used, easy to mod, tough as nails, and weren't viewed as down-market at all...it was a real-deal Fender, man! With the exception of the MIAs that had Fender Lace Sensors and locking tuners and fancy things like that, no one really cared about or noticed whether a guitar was MIM, MIJ, or MIA.

8. Inkman66

Inkman66 TDPRI Member

I think that, in years gone by, buying a MIM was ‘hit or miss’. These days, with CNC becoming standard manufacturing practice, not so much a risk anymore. I bought a MIM FSR deluxe telecaster that simply was ‘better’ in every aspect that mattered, than the three other US made teles I played at the same time. It simply sounded and felt better...even unplugged. I found out later that it is basically US parts assembled in Mexico. Top of the line CTS pots, orange drop caps, quality ash body...there was nothing I didn’t like other than that Made in Mexico label on the back of the headstock...which diddn’t Matter enough to me to justify sacrificing the sound and playability for something that has USA on it. I now laugh at anyone throwing the ‘resale value’ argument around. If that is the only reason you buy a guitar, then your argument means nothing to me. At all. Period. I buy an instrument to play it...and nothing plays like a great Fender, regardless of which side of the border the Mexican was standing on when he put it together. The quality of some of the stuff coming out of the US these days is often worse than some of the Chinese knockoffs. Gibson is a fine example of what happens when a company is more concerned about the dollar than the music heritage and quality that went along with the name in years before. Players are starting to see better quality-for-the-money in Mexican produced guitars than ever before, and I, for one, am glad to see it.

hepular likes this.
  9. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

yes its wrong.... ;)

10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

yes

:)

11. Fender Phil

Fender Phil TDPRI Member

I visited the Fender factory in Corona, California a few years back. Many of Fender's current employees are Mexican or of Mexican ancestry. I have always looked on it as whether you wanted to purchase a guitar made by Mexican craftsmen in the USA or in Mexico... I own about 50 Fenders. Most are made in the USA, but I also own MIM and MIJ/CIJ instruments. They're all great!

RhythmFender likes this.
  12. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

I don’t know if the MIMs built today are any good but my telecaster from 2009 is rock solid. Kudos to whoever built it. Also really loving my Mexican volkswagen and DRRI. six years so far and no issues.

13. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

My Fender MIM Baja Tele is my fav Tele hands down. The soft-V neck is is incredible and the pickups were so good, they started putting them in the Am Std. I would take a Baja over an Am Std every time. Not knocking the MIA stuff - there are others I would prefer over MIM, but it's about the make up of the guitar.

14. kirby02

kirby02 TDPRI Member

I have a MIA Stratocaster made in 98 or 99 I bought off Ebay which I played for many years. I got the bug to purchase a Telecaster and a MIM made in about 2010 (the one in my profile picture) was available on Facebook marketplace. I met the seller in a parking lot and played around on it in to check the play ability and he said that was the the second longest time it had been played since he bought it. I paid the agreed on price and was happy with my purchase. I installed a Fender Noiseless pick-up in the bridge position, Fender locking tuners, and a Fender 70's F style neck plate (just because) and now this is my go-to guitar. My wife is also my bass player and on one of her thrift store outings she purchased a Squire P-bass (made in Indonesia) for $20.00. With a few minor adjustments the Squire plays great. I also have an Epiphone SG that was made in Korea that plays really well. I used to be a MIA snob but now, not so much.

15. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

My avatar is my Mim tele known as “Pancho” I also have a 1999 Korean built Epiphone dot in natural that I call “Honey” these two guitars are just damned fine instruments. Keepers each one of them. You can hit or miss with just about anything you buy including guitars I’ve been real lucky twice now.

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

The right guitar is the one that feels best in your hands. I had a couple of MIM Fenders and all I ever had to do was to change out the pickups if I wanted to change the tone and sometimes not ever that. I have my share of expensive guitars as well, however I had a really cheap guitar that played and stayed in tune exceptionally well. Just use your head and don't buy into all that "what is better" nonsense. If it plays well and you like it, that's all that matters.

17. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

Not wrong, no. I have a heavily modified MIM FSR BSB that I wouldn’t trade for an MIA. 52 Nocasters, sounds amazing and feels amazing. I’d have to jump to Custom Shop to get better.

18. Andre Rock

Andre Rock TDPRI Member

Certainly not! Nothing wrong at all.

19. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

For past 20 years or so, I have preferred the necks of mim Teles and Strats over Mia. Mainly Teles, although Jimmy Vaughn Strat and 50s Classic and player mim Strats were nice if I wanted a Strat, which for me is rare. Another option is to build your own with more control over the specific parts and qualities you want in a guitar. Now perhaps my Custom Shop Nocaster was the absolute best Tele I’ve owned but my partscaster is perhaps 95% as good for about 1/3 the price.

20. ljdellar

ljdellar TDPRI Member

My favourite (heavily modified) Tele is a Squier Affinity. (4 position switch, new volume pot and jack socket, completely stripped paint and Tru-oiled, sanded satin neck). Bought for $40 US
    My second favourite is a Squier Classic Vibe 60's telcaster. (Brass compensated saddles, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups). Bought new for £450 UK
    My third is a partscaster nade from neck and body from Crimson Custom Guitars. Iron gear pickups, HUGE neckdive (I must order some depleted Uranium saddles). Parts for this were around $700 US or about £550-600 UK.

The affinity is the easiest to play, fits my hands perfectly, sounds fantastic.

The best guitar is the guitar that pleases you most.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.