Is it worth upgrading 2011 AM STD MIA pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mauma, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Hi there!

I have an American Standard 2011 Made in Usa Telecaster with their stock pickups inside (As a matter of fact that's not really true because I added the base plate to the bridge pickup).

I'll be upgrading all the wiring just for the fun of it and was wondering if it's worth to upgrade the pickups as I'll be working on it.

I like the way it sounds right now, but as I have no experience on pickups I was wondering if it'll make a lot of difference swapping this stock pickups from something like the Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster Pickup Set or some Seymour Duncan model...

What do you think? Will it be a noticeable mod worth of an upgrade?

I haven't found any demo online where I can contrast the stock pickups vs some other, but I do found lots of demos for the pickups that sound really great.

Thanks

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Not worth the effort. Originals are fine. So is the wiring FWIW

NicDo, boris bubbanov and Mauma like this.
  3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

The 51 Nocaster pickups are on a whole different level than the stock pickups in yours. The pickups in your tele as it’s weakest point. That’s why is 2012 they went with a lot better pickups.

Mauma likes this.
  4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know. I had some old nocasters laying around and I put them into my 2006 American standard (they used to be in Mexican standard tele that I put the originals back in and sold). I kept them in about two weeks and changed them back to stock. I put the nocasters in a build of mine. Yes they sound different but really saying they sounded better is not something I agree with. I like the originals better in that guitar.

Mauma likes this.
  5. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Yeap. I tried the 2013 tele and loved the bridge pickup but I understand they aren’t for sale on ints own yet.

6. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

too harsh?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those FCS No-caster pickup sets are great, but the pickups in the 2011 American are also great. What's "wrong" with this "mount holes below narrow array string through holes" template is, it is not compatible with the bridge that complements the No-caster pickups best. The one concept is "modern" and the other is "Vintage" and they're essentially two separate guitar designs.

8. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

so those wont fit my tele?

9. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

+1

Just one man’s opinion, and you asked — LESS time modifying, MORE time playing. Ask me how I know.

Mauma likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

They'll fit but they won't sound like the sound samples you have probably heard. The construction of the bridge is massively different and IMO the template of the body differs enough that even though something appears to fit, it doesn't function as intended.

Mauma likes this.
  11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

l've got 3 Teles with upgraded pickups and an American Standard with stock pickups. If you like what you've got and aren't looking for a different sound replacing them is pointless. The originals are outstanding.

Mauma and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

the issue here is you are asking someone else , on the INTERNET, if your guitar will sound better. Is that even remotely possible ? UHHH ... NO.

Does Broccoli taste good ?

Grab a set of PUPS, such as those NoCasters or whatever they call them these days, put em in and YOU get to decide if you like them or not.

But its gonna cost you over $100 bucks !

free  lunch.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  13. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

thats why I was interested on the stock ones that came with next models from 2012 that are modern versions of the broadcasters but they are not selling it separately yet.

14. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

if you read my original post I never talk about “better” or “worst” as that are subjective.

As I never switched pups my request was opinions about if “is it worth” or “will it make much of a difference” or not and that’s what people have been discussing gently.

my concern was changing pups and not noticing such a difference which seems to be the case in some opinions found up there

Of course I should try it for my self but forums are a good place for getting opinions before putting my hands on it.

Hope this helps clarify

Thanks
    AA

T Prior likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

I've lost track here - we're talking about the FCS No-Caster pickups and maybe also the set of Broadcaster/Twisted Tele that was installed to the 2012 and later Americans?

Let me just say this. In my opinion, neither of those pickup sets sound as good with an American Standard or American bridge plate of that yellow potting metal, as those pickups sound with the original .050 inch thick stamped metal plate that Leo Fender specified for the Broadcaster in 1950. You may meet people that like the 2012 and newer American Standard Teles for their pickups but I prefer the A5 pickups you already have for the guitar you have. Yeah, I add an aftermarket base plate to that A5 bridge pickup and yes, I do tend to use the Neck pickup a whole lot on that model of guitar, but that's what I think works best. Or works best for me.

16. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

I have a 2010 American standard. Same pickups. I really like the pickups. Super versatile. Covers a lot of ground. From really bluesey to really twangy. I’d keep them for a while if I was u.

boris bubbanov and Mauma like this.
  17. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

I did exactly that, added the base plate to the stock bridge and tend to use more the neck

But I tried the 2012 bridge pickup and really loved it, it's a little less ice picky than mine, and it has that "vintage" feel but with modern tones, goes perfect with new models. I would love to keep my neck pickup and add that bridge one to my config.

Meanwhile I am using the stock and it's really cool, only some times the bridge pickup tends to "pinch" my ear as it's too trebly, but I am getting used to control it

Thanks for all the replies

18. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Then why fool with it?

Mauma likes this.
  19. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

It might sound different and you may even like it, but better? There is no way we can tell you if you will like it better. Speaking with a few years of TDPRI under my belt, I think that only answer is to get a second Telecaster with the CS Nocasters and a vintage bridge with brass saddles. Play them back to back and let us know, which you prefer. This is the response you secretly wanted, right?

Mauma likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Mauma, if you can swing the purchase of a second American Standard, an 2012 or newer, maybe even the one you played you liked the pickups on, you should consider that.

I've seen so many anecdotes of guys installing Pickup Set X in one guitar and it sounds one way, and then they put that very set of pickups in another guitar - and get a different result. Sure has happened to me. Doesn't always happen, but the folks here that tell you that the pickups are 99% of a specific guitar's voice, are going quite a bit too far IMO.

Mauma likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.