Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omlove, Jul 16, 2019.

1. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

I have been wanting to buy the set of 8 nut files on Grizzly for a while. It's a good deal and I know this is the necessary tool if I have to work on my nut in the future.

However, all these wants come from my not so secret desire to achieve my "dream" guitar - not so much about color, or wood, or even neck shape, but perfect setup, perfect geometry alignment and perfect playability.

I know the nut file set is just the entry into the rabbit hole. Soon or later I need notched straight edge, I need fret file, I need sanding beam, I need various tools to achieve the perfection. Sadly all those are very specific guitar tools, not found in normal home tool boxes. And every each one of them does its sole job and that job only.

Is it worth it to buy all those tools, just to have maybe one neck "polished" and "adjusted" to perfection so to speak? What is your experience if you have done that before?

2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

3. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Buy a small piece of aluminum flat stock at home depot or some other hardware store to use as a fret rocker.

You can then use an aluminum level with sandpaper wrapped around it as a sanding beam.

And use welding tip cleaning files to slot nuts.

You can get all of that stuff for really cheap, to try your hand at it before you take the plunge on high end tools that end up collecting dust.

The notched straight edge is nice but not necessary ime...

4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Have you
    Have you tried the torch tip cleaning files successfully?
    My experience using them for blowtorches years ago is that they are very thin and flexible. Nut files are like knives, so they are quite rigid.
    I think tip files will wander, particularly if you try to cut a new nut.

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Cutting a new nut would likely be an issue, haven't tried that personally.

But filing an existing nut they work beautifully, I've been using the same set for years.

You could probably use a regular (small) triangle file to get slots started then finish with the torch files... that would probably work out nicely.

they also work nicely on brass nuts.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you use any of these once, from then on there's no such thing as once. You'll use any of them again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.