Is it worth it: Purchase an extended warranty for my 57' Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Greetings,

I awoke this morning to an email from a Canadian music store that I bought a new, 57 Deluxe from last year (Long & McQuade). The email was alerting me to the reality that the one year "performance warranty" that comes with the amp is about to expire, and they're graciously offering me a chance to renew it for another year for $112CDN (+ tax).

Aside from the original power tubes acting weird after about ten months (I discussed that with you folks and many good suggestions were offered, ultimately leading me to replace them, and problem was solved) there have been no problems with the amp.

What do you guys think? Is this just a cash grab, or is it a worthwhile investment - all be it for just a year?

Cheers, JP

2. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

Personally I wouldn’t do it, although your situation may be different than mine. I’ve worked on several amps with trouble shooting and small repairs. I’ve had amps for years with no problems. So not a scary thing for me.

With that said, I wouldn’t want to advise you not to do it. Especially if it will give you peace of mind should trouble arise.

If the amp in question has been problematic then yes, it may be a wise investment.

If it hasn’t been having any more issues, other than what you mentioned, then I would reconsider spending the money.
    Best of luck!

magicfingers99 and Jared Purdy like this.
  3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I work on a simple basis, something will work until it fails to do so.

I've never bought an extended warranty or had reason to regret doing so.

Unless you think there may be an underlying issue, or there's evidence that a particular product has a history of failing, all you are paying for is peace of mind.

Most ridiculous think I have ever been offered an extended warranty on - a pair of binoculars ....

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nope. The only warranty I keep is on my home...and we've exceeded the cost of it every year except two. I do not buy other extended warranties.

guitar_paul1, Drew617 and Jared Purdy like this.
  5. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

The L&M performance warranty is pretty amazing and I just reviewed the policy. It covers fret wear on a guitar. It covers power surge damage. It covers professional use damage. I had it on YGM-3 reissue I bought used from them. It's a good warranty; you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

That seems pretty pricey for a 1-year extended warranty, especially for an amp that SHOULD outlast us all. I never buy the warranties, so I personally wouldn't, but if it makes you feel more secure, go for it.

Mjark, guitar_paul1 and Jared Purdy like this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

For me, personally, I’d just say no

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve never seen a single extended warrantee for any product that was worth a wooden nickel, ever.

9. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

you should go to Vegas, those are usually some of the worst contracts, actuarially speaking … you won the gamble (odds of recovering more than contract cost). :cool:

stormsedge and Greggorios like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the 1970's and 80's, I worked in electronics at Montgomery Ward. Selling extended warranties on TVs and appliances was a MAJOR job requirement. They were pure profit, and rarely proved beneficial to the customer. I even heard a store manager once say, if we didn't add-on sell a service contract, he'd just as soon not sell the appliance.....some profit margins were actually "negative", and the warranty was the only profitable part of the deal.
    Obviously, that wouldn't be so in your case, because you're not buying the amp again, but if you're not having problems after a year, it will "likely" go for years.
    So......do you feel lucky, punk?......well, do you? ;)

chris m., JL_LI, dougstrum and 3 others like this.
  11. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Personally I never buy extended warrenties for a lot of the already stated reasons.

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

As a genera rule of thumb, extended warranties are not worth it. You may decide differently in a specific case, but I'd recommend starting from an assumption that it's not worth it. Let it be proven to you otherwise. Guilty until proven innocent, in this case.

13. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I’ll devil’s advocate here.

It’s $10 a month.

For people that can’t work on their own stuff, or prefer not to, it’s probably worth it to them.

14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I've had poor luck with warranties on most items. Tvs, small appliances, etc. Furniture warranties are a joke, or more accurately a scam. Large appliances (new and used) seem worth it and fix or replace things. The $10 walmart tire warranty has saved me $15 patch jobs and gotten me a completely new tire once. I'm probably getting rid of my phone warranty to knock the cell bill down.

So, it depends on how the warranty works. An amp is like an appliance in my book; you can probably repair or replace a part that goes, but if the warranty is cheaper than a new dryer motor or its not-so-replaceable computer parts, your paying for a backup dryer. Now it depends on wording of warranty and reputation of the company; if my fridge dies, warranty people will replace up to $250 in food lost. L&M will not reimburse you for lost free gig beer if the amp dies ;)
    Research WHAT you're paying for. If it's a 2 year old amp, anything that was going to break early already did, or will break later. Maybe 5% chance if needing it, without seeing if it's monetarily going to be a good warranty. Your mileage may of course vary.

Archtops, nojazzhere and Timbresmith1 like this.
  15. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Holic

Decent soldering iron costs a lot less than $112cdn, but I understand not everyone is comfortable working on amps. 5e3 is a simple, fairly bulletproof circuit that is very unlikely to fail (in spite of what the number of 5e3 troubleshooting threads here might imply).

Timbresmith1 and Jared Purdy like this.
  16. Jared Purdy

Ya, I think I'll pass. My soldering skills suck, and I know nothing of how to repair an amp.

One of the best amp repair technicians in Toronto is a five minute drive from my house, and he's authorized by Fender.

He's used exclusively by The Twelfth Fret, one of Canada's premier instrument shops, also five minutes from my house.

For those in TO or the GTA, if you PM me, I'll send you his email and phone number. His name is John Fletcher.

17. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

1. What is the duration of the Fender warranty? It used to be five years, but I think they curtailed that.

2. Ask your amp tech what he thinks about the extended warranty.

nojazzhere and Jared Purdy like this.
  18. Jared Purdy

I too thought they were five years. I know they use to be. Ya, I'll check with him. He's a pretty frugal guy so I suspect he'll say pass.

19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

its a protection racket, kinda like the mob. if you pay,they will keep coming back for more..

20. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Did the warranty you have cover the issue with the tubes?

Jared Purdy, nojazzhere and Boreas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.