Is it worth getting an MIA Fender neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ivan, Jun 12, 2021.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

As I mentioned in my earlier post, MIM necks are now running at £300 PLUS (about $425), some of the road worn or nitro finished ones being more like £450 (about $635) in the UK as our prices are higher for Fender parts than yours.

2. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

I had this issue but with my 66 Precision bass. The original neck has always been a problem for me. Given that the bass itself of original I went for the A/O 60s P bass It was a fair bit of work to get the hardware in and that hardware also adds to the already high price.

You could also look on Reverb, etc and see if someone is willing to ship to the UK.

E.g. https://reverb.com/item/41099492-20...caster-neck-only-loaded-fender-vintage-tuners

My brother just did a strat build and he went with allparts and was happy with it.

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth. The final product will not be a Fender even if you buy ALL Fender parts. It will not have gone through Fenders setup, QA or have a Fender serial number. So, you will lose big time on your ‘investment’. On the other hand, there plenty of companies making high quality necks and bodies for a fraction of the price. You can find a used strat for that price that will always be worth what you paid for it. I have stock fenders and I have partscasters. The partscasters are my babies!
    Pastscaster value lies in the fact that it is exactly what you wanted in a guitar. To me that’s worth more than a name.

frednic, benderb9 and FuncleManson like this.
  4. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum TDPRI Member

I Always go for MIM. The major difference is that MIA necks have rolled edges and Nitro lacquer, MIM has sharp edges and Poly, But rolling your fretboard is a very easy task to do really, and Nitro vs, Poly is not bothering me so much.
    To me MIA necks is more a replacement for MIA Strats. Not worth to put on Partcasters.
    But its your cash.. 600 pounds is rather high for a neck.. Can get a decent guitar for that price.

You will not get better material other than the tuss plug on the headstock which is wood compared to plastic on MIM´s (and rolled edges)
    Corona factory actually ship their wood down to Ensenada
    Fret work might be better on a MIA neck too (but i doubt it), but if you know some skills about fret.leveling, it should be no problem to get a MIM neck 100% leveled.

I dont think MIA necks comes finished cut nut either. All fender necks needs its nut cut.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Deed likes this.
  5. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have Squier CV necks, MIM necks in 9.5 and 12" radius, but mostly American necks.
    To me, it has nothing to do with country of origin, the first thing I think about is how does it feel?

They all have their pros and cons. I am fine with all of them, but I am moving to a Deep C.
    I am 58 this year and I have been having arthritis and carpal tunnel issues for years.
    The Deep C shape keeps my hand open a bit more and that combined with balanced tension 9s really feel good to me.

I will be using American Professional II necks for future builds, just feels better in my hands.
    I am putting together parts for a Carved top Tele/LP mashup with dual P90s...

This neck is from another project, but I will be getting one identical to it for this new project.

20200817_211830170_iOS.jpg warmoth.png

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

MIA vs MIM, the big difference is rolled edges on the fretboard. I have vintage spec'd, lacquered MIM Strat neck & it's great. The lack of rolled edges doesn't bother me, the fret work was fine, no leveling needed. All I had to do was file down some fret sprout during it's first winter, but that's common for me.

The bigger advantage of buying from a different maker is options. I use Musikraft because I like a "hard v" neck shape, two piece neck so I don't have a skunk stripe, and slightly larger side marker dots. I've got 3 Musikraft necks & they've all been great. One required me to do a little fret leveling, but it was really simple & quick. The main reason I picked Musikraft in the first place was they have a HUGE selection of different neck profiles.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Some of the MIM necks have a wood truss rod plug, like my Fat '51 U neck does:

Esquire & Champ 3.jpg

(I'd refinised it in tinted nitro by this point and changed 'Telecaster' for 'Esquire' (it's a MIM Fender neck, so I hope I'm not offending anyone with the decal change).

Ebidis, Deed, benderb9 and 1 other person like this.
  8. turfdoc

turfdoc Tele-Meister

I put a Warmoth rosewood neck on my prized old Strat and it's the best neck Ive ever played. Frets came levelled, dressed, and flawless.

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is probably sacrilege, but I bought a beautiful used Fender neck online for $150. All it needed was fret dressing. If money is an issue, I would check for a used or "split" Squier neck online. Stratosphere and other places do this - they basically buy seconds, returns, or shelf-damaged stock, split the necks from the bodies, and sell each part individually for more than they paid for the guitar because they can sell a "perfect" neck and a blemished body and make a profit.

If you are a frequent flyer here, you will note that Squier necks - especially the upper line models, can hold their own with many MIA Fenders. I would consider this route, or just buy an aftermarket neck. I can buy allotta guitar for $800!

10. hotdotdog

hotdotdog TDPRI Member

I have installed 2 Mighty Mite necks and both were excellent. They were one of the first Fender licensed manufacturers back in the 70's.

11. fathand

fathand TDPRI Member

$10 for maple $5 for fret wire, $10 truss rod, your own labour.

Build your own neck and develop skills you can use for a lifetime.

blueruins likes this.
  12. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

The Fender ones are nice but way over priced for what they are. The two Allparts I have are just as good and I'm not stuck with 7.25" radius (yuck) as they offer different choices. If you want a REALLY nice one, want to spend some money and wait a long time, go with Musikraft. I wouldn't buy a Warmoth, after 30 years of happily buying their necks they sent me three turds in a row - done. I still use their bodies though.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I did a build with a USA ‘60s American Original neck. I found one, pre-Brexsht, as a special offer from France for £450.

Still expensive, but that’s a very, very nice neck. 600 is too much IMO to then have to add tuners nut etc. Get an All Parts and dress it up.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I struggle to find them in the UK now. They were certainly good value. I think I'd go a little fancier next time, though.

Not that there will be a next time.

15. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I tried my friend's Partscaster with brand new Fender MIA rosewood neck... and I take back what I said previously. It has two high frets causing choking when the high E is bent a tone and the nut may be cut slightly too high.

My opinion is still that a new Fender neck shouldn't need any adjustment except truss rod, but that doesn't seem to be the case in reality!

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Well, in the not so olden days I would have recommended you go to USACG, but not anymore. The next best option IMO is Allparts. Just choose your favorite. One recommendation I have and YMMV but... I do NOT like their fat necks but I find their V-shape necks to be perfect. I mean I can play the fat neck, but I find the V to be the perfect shape - for me.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

IME, no...unless you're married to the Fender name/logo. For the price of a MIA Fender neck on Stratosphere(typically $400=600+), you can get a very nice custom neck from Warmoth, MusiKraft or, my favorite. Parklane Guitars, often times with figured woods, custom profile/thickness/nut width and even with stainless steel frets if you so desire. Much more bang for your buck. And still made in the USA.

Obviously, there are tons of great offerings from AllParts (Japan) as well, if you're on a budget and don't mind doing your own finishing and possibly some fret dressing.

But for the amount of money you're talking about spending, you could get a neck made exactly to your specs, almost any wood you choose, with a nut and tuners of your choice installed, drilled and ready to mount...and if you're savvy, probably a couple of them. I paid less than half that for this neck:

new neck unboxed 1.jpg new neck unboxed 2.jpg completed 8.jpg completed 9.jpg

2-piece roasted flame maple
    Fat C (U) profile - full 1" thick all the way down
    6230 vintage stainless steel frets, dressed and leveled
    Bone nut (1-11/16" width)
    7.25"-9.5" compound radius
    Satin oil finish
    Abalone dot inlays (front)/black side dots
    Vintage truss rod (heel adjust) - he had double expanding/headstock adjust options also

Best neck I've every played. Less than $300 shipped. His prices may have increased since, not sure. Steve Parker @ Parklane worked for Musikraft for years and really knows his stuff. No affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.

TheOtherNeill likes this.
  18. Full-Tilt-Tele

Full-Tilt-Tele TDPRI Member

Might be worthwhile to shop North of the Border, (Canada)... I've bought three Canuck's Maple Tele Necks to use on my builds, and [it] turn out to be a fine product. Those folks up North, take pride with their 'Maple' flag and trees too. So, enjoy your syrup with flapjacks, but make it's 'Pure Organic'... Search on e-Bay and look for a shipping address in Item location: 'Calgary, Alberta, Canada'... Good luck...

19. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies.

I was never totally committed to the AO60s neck but would have considered it if everyone felt the actual wood quality was worthwhile.

I think I'll go with Allparts. It has the specs I want, available in the UK and has a more reasonable price.

With the other brands mentioned like Warmoth and Musikraft, they're just not easily accessible in the UK and I don't want to deal with customs and duties to import.
    (About 15 years ago I ordered a custom Warmoth neck which they made a mistake on the specs which I discovered after paying the non-refundable taxes. That was my last time trying to build a partscaster).

20. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 TDPRI Member

I wouldn't pay that but when giving advice to fellow players, I'd say that if you really want something that will be the deciding factor in building your dream guitar, I'd say go for it if you can afford it. Buy whatever you will love. I also have to think whether I'd buy the same if I could afford it and I most likely would. Neck is 90% deciding factor in any guitar I am thinking of purchasing so I'm partial.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.