Is it worth getting an MIA Fender neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ivan, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

Hello!

I am building my first partscaster and would like to get opinions on quality of parts.

Id really like an AO 60s Tele neck but wondered if the price is worth it. (Particularly being in the UK, the retail price is £600+ which I realise is a lot).

As this is a replacement neck, I would have to cut the nut and fret dress meaning I am losing out on the fine tuning that you would get on a complete MIA Fender. I do have the skills to do that and a full set up so it's not an issue.
    Then what exactly am I getting aside from the brand? Is the rosewood visually nicer? Or is would it just be for the nitro?

Meanwhile, I can get an allparts neck with similar specs but poly finished. Is there a reason why I wouldn't just get this?

The other parts I have are a squier body, fender bridge plate, gotoh brass saddles, gotoh tuners, and my Bare Knuckle pickups.

Thanks for any advice

TeleTucson, VicUA and Arfage like this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I built my two partscasters about 9 years ago, with Mighty Mite necks. One was fine, the other was not so great - still usable, but not inspiring.

They were about £100 each, so they were in the "affordable" bracket.

If I ever build another guitar I would invest in a better neck, but I don't think I'd spend £600 - especially not on a first build.

There are Fender necks around the £300 mark, and I think I'd be pretty happy with one of those.

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Wow! 600 quid for a neck that you still need to tickle, that seems like an awful lot of dosh!
    Most of what you're asking is subjective in that it's really down to personal preference.
    I have guitars that are nitro finish and others that are poly. I probably lean towards the nitro but poly certainly wouldn't put me off getting a more affordable neck if it's good quality.
    I also prefer to play maple fretboards, but again that is purely personal preference.
    What is the radius on each? Are they the same? I think the AO are 9.5".

4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Id suggest a mim neck.

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Allparts or Hosco and finish it yourself, would be my suggestion. Less than $150 usd.

Although if you get a Fender neck, it already has the Fender decal on it. F45C498E-AA27-4FAA-A32D-D86B7FF7D3DE.jpeg

The Allparts TRO-62 is their designation for the Round Laminate neck that started in late 62. It is however really 60s spec with the 7.25” radius, too, not like the AO, which I believe is 9.5”

6. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Are you sure you would have to cut the nut and dress the frets? The nut height or how level the frets are bear no relation to the body. The nut height is cut based on the height of the first fret and the frets themselves are level as compared to the other frets.

My friend bought a US rosewood neck a few weeks ago which I'll be trying out tomorrow. He hasn't touched the nut or frets.

Blind Owl likes this.
  7. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Well having owned a squire, player series, and american standard I would say yes. The neck is the key to a great guitar!
    Some guys could play 2x4 and be happy. I am not one of them.

Some will say well it's a parts caster, who cares if you don't like playing it. So yes again!

8. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I have had the 3 type Fenders AVRI / Japan/MIM classic reissue's the rosewood on the AVRI was slightly better looking
    other than that they all do the same thing really

I have also had ALLPARTS /WD/Hosco which were basically Fender Japan necks with no finish on them
    £600 is insane price for a guitar neck but if you have the money and that is what you want buy it

Blind Owl likes this.
  10. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

The AO60s neck has everything I want just not the price. (Rosewood, 9.5 radius, 21 bigger frets, clay dots, Telecaster Custom decal). Prior to deciding on a partscaster I had considered the full guitar AO60s but the retail of £1500+ stopped me.
    So you can see why I would now consider getting just the neck if there were advantages to it.

The Allparts equivalent would be the TRVF-C. This seems like a good option but it's hard to tell when I can't see it in person or compare.

Other less expensive fender neck options seem to have the modern 2 pin tuner holes pre-drilled which I don't want.

Clifton C likes this.
  11. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Contact niche guitars, they do some fantastic replacement necks, I bought a strat neck, r/w finger board with a classic 60's C shape for £90 iirc.
    If you can't see it on the site, email the guy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

13. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Plenty of other vendors can supply you with an arguably equal quality neck for far less. How much is that fender logo & nitro worth it to you?

I used a warmoth neck on my build. Found the specs I wanted in their showcase, added the nut and my own logo & finished it myself for $175 shipped. The feel and fretwork are spot on.
    [​IMG]

Rowdyman, nojazzhere, turfdoc and 2 others like this.
  14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

1. For me that's a crazy amount of $$$ to spend on a neck.
    2. It's your guitar, and if you want to spend $600 on a neck then you should absolutely go for it.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Way too much money for a neck. I'm looking at getting a complete Tele for £100 more. Ok, the guitar is a Mexico made one, but seriously, Fender take the piss when it comes to parts, especially in the UK.

beagle likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

He's not spending $600 USD, he is spending £600 GBP, which equates to $846 USD.

nojazzhere and KelvinS1965 like this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

Unfinished Allparts necks come in all shapes, for around £140, in the UK. Cheaper, if you buy one pre-used.

I could find plenty of uses, for the remaining £460- and Allparts quality is pretty reliable.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I had this exact dilema when I built my '61 style Strat: Do I buy an AO60s neck for £600 or buy an Allparts one?

I had previously built my avatar Tele using a MIM Fender neck, so knew that I'd need to cut the nut slots, but I never needed to get the frets levelled on it and it plays as well as the guitars I have that have been pleked or manually levelled. However that Tele neck was £180 2 years ago and is now £300. :eek:

I bought the Allparts neck for the Strat project, but mainly due to the profile as I wanted a fatter neck than any Pau Ferro or Rosewood one that is available from Fender for a Strat. It turned out to be a lot more work than the MIM Tele neck though: Very sharp, rough frets that I had to smooth and dress, no nut installed (though I've done a few since the Tele, so that didn't scare me) and I had to drill the tuner screw holes and neck holes.

Of course it was unfinished too, so I had to spray it. After all this work it plays pretty well, but the fret ends have more of a bevel on them, so I sometimes push the low E string off the edge of the fingerboard. I've got used to this now I've played it for 3-4 weeks, but it still catches me out sometimes. I'm taking it to my fret guy on Monday for him to do a light level, which will effectively widen the fret/reduce the bevel slightly and he will cut me a new nut with slightly narrower spacing than the pre-slotted one I bought (from Axecaster for what it's worth, which was fine on other Fender guitars I have).

Yesterday my friend came round for a coffee and a jam session: He has an Olympic white AO60s Strat, so it was great to compare them. His neck is very nice to play, though a noticable amount slimmer than mine. I think in hindsight I'd have been OK with that profile, but I'm trying to mix it up as my other Strat has a medium C maple neck and I wanted this to be different.

Adding in the cost of clear nitro, the nut, plus the fret work next week I reckon I'll be up to about £250+ for the Allparts neck. Not far short of a MIM neck, but with a Pau Ferro fingerboard or of course a maple one. I actually really like the PF 'board on my MIM Jaguar, so again, with hindsight maybe that would have been a better option.

This guitar was built to take gigging, so I wouldn't risk one of my other guitars I'm more attached to, so I guess the £600 option was never on the cards really...that's about what I spent in total on this guitar, including Fender '65 PV pickups, CTS pots and an Eric Clapton mid boost PCB. Cheaper than a Vintera Strat and it's finished in nitro with a fat neck. If I did it again I think I'd maybe use another neck than the Allparts one:

Garden 3 EDIT.jpg

FWIW the body was from a UK eBay shop and cost £68 including delivery, but it's nearly 0.5kg heavier than they said in the advert. If I'd weighed it before I drilled any holes I would have sent it back as this Strat is heavier than my Les Paul at over 4.1Kg. :eek:

I'm pleased how it came out, but it was much more work than I'd expected:

Neck 14.png

Neck 7.png

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

My partscaster latest build has an MiM neck. It is the only Fender neck I have had on a guitar or bass amp n the last decade that did not require any fret work when I bought it. I’d say straight up my 2020 Ensenada Tele neck is better than my 2020 MiA Tele neck in terms of finish quality, fret work, nut finishing.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Usually I PREFER a MIM neck to USA neck. I dont know if there is any stock in Fender Replacement necks, but they used to run $200-$225 US and really can't be beat.

Deed and 4wotitswurth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.