1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it worth buying a mirrorless camera?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM.

1. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

This seems to be the way the technology is going, and since I am passing on my Canon DSLR to my 13yr old daughter, I'm wondering whether to jump onto the mirrorless bandwagon.

A few months ago I was set to replace my old Canon with one of the newer full-frame DSLRs, but now I'm wondering about mirrorless. I don't mind the weight of DSLRs (actually I kind of prefer heavier cameras), and I take 95% stills compared to videos. I don't mind getting some new lenses either. I tend to shoot with a 50mm prime.

I am not particularly biased towards any brand - I've always liked the various Canons I have owned, but I like Nikon too.

Anyone jumped on mirrorless and care to elucidate?

Edit: model suggestions most welcome, too. I'm in the 2-3k range (body only).

Jared Purdy and String Tree like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still have my Trusty Nikon F1.

I have no experience with the Mirrorless variety.

It isn't as easy as it used to be. You can't just go to a camera shop anymore to try one out.

RodeoTex and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

Just by way of interest,
    “MirrorLess” has been around a while.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Pellix

I still have mine. The big advantage of course is that the mirror did not have to be hurled upwards up for the shot.
    So no internal vibration.

I liked mine a lot.

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I'd say start with:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Ken has some interesting pages on what you're asking as well as pretty much having reviews of all the relevant kit. He buys the stuff himself so he's not subject to any sweet offers from the makers ...

Personally I can't find a reason to upgrade my 10 year old DSLR.

5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Still have my Nikon Nikkormat don't even know if I can get film anymore.
    Used to be state of art .Now antique .

tery likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know anything about cameras, but (probably because) my wife is a professional photographer. She jumped on the mirrorless technology years ago, and she likes the Sony "full frame" models, whatever that means.

Paul G. and DougM like this.
  7. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

I wouldn't hesitate to go mirrorless, plenty of advantages and no real downside. Sonys rule the roost for now - at least with the full frame offerings.

DougM likes this.
  8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm pretty happy with the Sony a6000 (or ILCE6000), but lens selection is limited if you want Nikon/Canon level of sharpness. (The Fuji bodies and lenses look really good, though.) Compared to DSLRs, the smaller body and lighter lenses are great(!) for hiking and taking along in a day pack or any trip. Check out the discussions and reviews at dpreview.com.

RomanS likes this.
  9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I guess the answer depends on what it's for. I think most upgrades are pertinent to professionals (who may shoot 1000 photos at a wedding or need a super burst rate for sports) rather than amateurs/enthusiasts.

And, as far as I know, mirrorless still haven't quite matched DSLRs in terms of battery life.

10. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

I've put my toe in the mirrorless waters with a relatively inexpensive Olympus OM-D. I shoot outdoors, mostly on-the-water fishing stuff, (or at least did before Covid shut down all my 2020 travel) and love the light weight and size of it. I toss it in my boat bag or stuff it down the front of my waders and feel comfortable carrying it everywhere. If I decide to jump into the format all the way, it'll most likely be Fuji. My pro buddies rave over them.

The one thing I love about the mirrorless is that what you see is what you capture. Adjustments in exposure are reflected in the eyepiece (or rear screen) as you fly. That's seriously cool.

But for now, when the shot really matters, out comes the Nikon D610, a full-frame DSLR. My workhorse. The jump to full-frame was a game-changer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    cravenmonket likes this.
  11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Old curmudgeon alert:

Wow, I miss my F1, F2 and FM2 bodies and manual lenses, and Kodachrome too. I sold them off many years ago. The old Nikon manual stuff was great. Thanks for reminding me. :)

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Mirrorless has some advantages but seems more disposable.

I currently run a 36mp Nikon D800 body and at the moment it has a 5.8cm f1.4 lens Nikon made in 1959.
    Not a typo! 60 year old lenses work on new bodies if you go with Nikon, and there's lots of fine glass out there.
    Got an old 300 f2.8 ED IF lens that would be IDK $2500 in new production.
    Used it with film for years.

You can use pretty much every SLR lens Nikon ever made on their DSLR bodies.
    I ran a D7100 for a while which is high end consumer so made of plastic, but when I found the 800 I grabbed it.
    Formerly a D200 and D300 after decades of film.

peeweepete, carpenter, SbS and 3 others like this.
  13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I used to shoot with Rangefinders. And thats basically an equivalent of what Mirrorless cameras are. There’s still a lot of differences, but technically, no mirrors going out of the way like SLR/DSLR’s. if you get my drift. I dont shoot that much nowadays having a family (a 2yo bub) already. When I was single, I used to go out and shoot a lot, so, using film isnt that much efficient for me now.

the Sony Alphas are somehow, one of the best in the game. I went with a Sony Alpha A6000, because thats basically I can afford and the highest I want to pay for something that I’d use occasionally.

however, I love old manula focus lenses. I still have a few old SLR lenses, from different makers. Minolta, Nikon, Olympus. And i use those with a converter to be able to mount it on the newer Sony E-mount bodies like my A6000. The only drawback with my camera is the cropped 1.5x sensor. Image quality is okay, but you have to go wide so you can achieve the focal length you want. Also, it takes a while before you can get the hang of using manual focus lens on a digital body, without a viewfinder with super imposed/split image screen to assist focus.

here’s my current set up, a Minolta Rokkor MC 35mm F3.5. On a cropped sensor like mine, a 35mm is effectively a 52.5mm lens.

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

Sample photos (using my current set up) are nice enough for internet and instagram viewing.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah rangefinders...

I'm "saving up" for a Leica body so I can use all my old Leica lenses for the '50s & '60s that fit the new Leica digital bodies!!!!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

One of there strengths of the mirrorless systems is that you can adapt practically any lenses to them. You can use your m series lenses on any of the Sonys A7 series camera for around $80, same with all your Nikon lenses as well.

RomanS and Tommy Biggs like this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

not having a viewfinder can be rough on a bright day. we just wrapped a feature with a black magic and that was an issue with that camera.

17. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

My sony has a viewfinder - I thought I would not like the EVF but wouldn't go back to a dslr now. Too many great tools in the finder.

18. cyclopean

where is the image in the viewfinder coming from?

19. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

the sensor

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. cyclopean

huh. i thought mirrorless just had a viewscreen on the back. which i hate because not being able to shut out the world is distracting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.