Is it time to replace the iPad?

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
iPad Air 3 - 7 years old. Has cellular. Got it through my last company; they let me keep it when I left.

I use my iPad a lot at home. It's getting very cantankerous.

It's slow to react why I type.

Sometime apps are very slow to open.

Sometimes apps don't want to open and I have to restart the thing.

Is it time to lay the old guy to rest in a closet?

What's the life expectancy of a typical iPad in your opinion?

Thanks.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Are you keeping up with software updates? My Macbook was overheating till I noticed there was an update I hadn't installed. Not as old as your iPad, though.

Of course, at some point older models aren't even able (or given the option, I dunno) to update.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
I still use my iPad 1 (or whatever they called the original). I am sure it is past its life expectancy, and there are some apps that I am not able to use, but for surfing the web and so forth it is fine. I also use it on stage at gigs for lyrics/chords.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'd first go through and delete anything unnecessary that's eating space, such as apps you don't need/use, pictures, video, etc. And make sure you have the latest available OS update that's compatible.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I just replaced my 10-year-old Ipad 2 with an Ipad4 air. The 2 had a really good run, hadn’t been able to take an update for years. It was only in the last 6 months that it got noticeably bad. Very happy with the Ipad4.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
iPad Air 3 - 7 years old. Has cellular. Got it through my last company; they let me keep it when I left.

Thanks.
Don't replace it...REPURPOSE IT !

Attachments

• iPad Guitar.jpg
    iPad Guitar.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 35

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Planned obsolescence. I still have an original iPad 1 from a million years ago. It can't run any apps, but it still works as a browser. And I figured out how to load all our song charts on it, so it serves as the music library at rehearsal, and can even clip to my mic stand at gigs if I want. (*Gasp!*)

Nevertheless I broke down and had my wife buy me a new iPad for Christmas last year. Was very happy to discover it came with Garage Band. So now I use the new one almost exclusively for GarageBand recordings.

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have a iPad4 that gets a little finicky from time to time.
When I'm done using the app, I quickly double press the home button and swipe the app up...it's a force close. That way the app isn't running in the background hogging resources.
Depending on what your using it for...it could need to be replaced or not. I have a 2007 iMac that I still use a lot, but there are somethings it's not going to do anymore. My phone, a 6S, is rapidly getting close to the end of it's usefulness...too many things I need it to do it having difficultly with.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Thanks.
what IOS are you using ? Update to the latedst IOS version and it may speed up for you, I use mine to Bluetooth to my H9Max to control it ,I am thinking to load as many editors for the hardware I have , and My Ipad is much older than yours , I have IOS 9 on mine and cant go any higher. so if yours is newer then this may be a good use for it.

Pasta Player

Tele-Meister
Double-tap your home button to see all the ‘screen history” being retained. Then drag each one of them individually “up” and off screen.

Then under Settings, scroll down to Safari. Tap / select Safari and then scroll down to “Clear History and Website Data”. Select “Clear History and Data”. This “Clearing will remove history, cookies, and other browsing data” that builds up over time and use.

Sometime follow the above steps… with a complete power down and restart.

Deletion (culling) of un-used apps is also good advice.

IF this doesn’t seem to improve function - then as mentioned by Alamo here… wipe it and reset.

My iPad Air us still running iOS 10.3.1 and I do not allow Auto Updates of the iOS.
(If it ain’t broke… I don’t “fix” it - with an “Updated iOS”.)

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
FYI I have done all my updates and I double pump the home button and wipe away open screens.
Are you keeping up with software updates? My Macbook was overheating till I noticed there was an update I hadn't installed. Not as old as your iPad, though.

Of course, at some point older models aren't even able (or given the option, I dunno) to update.

what IOS are you using ? Update to the latedst IOS version and it may speed up for you, I use mine to Bluetooth to my H9Max to control it ,I am thinking to load as many editors for the hardware I have , and My Ipad is much older than yours , I have IOS 9 on mine and cant go any higher. so if yours is newer then this may be a good use for it.

Double-tap your home button to see all the ‘screen history” being retained. Then drag each one of them individually “up” and off screen.

Then under Settings, scroll down to Safari. Tap / select Safari and then scroll down to “Clear History and Website Data”. Select “Clear History and Data”. This “Clearing will remove history, cookies, and other browsing data” that builds up over time and use.

Sometime follow the above steps… with a complete power down and restart.

Deletion (culling) of un-used apps is also good advice.

IF this doesn’t seem to improve function - then as mentioned by Alamo here… wipe it and reset.

My iPad Air us still running iOS 10.3.1 and I do not allow Auto Updates of the iOS.
(If it ain’t broke… I don’t “fix” it - with an “Updated iOS”.)

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
New major iOS updates rarely make old devices faster. In fact, it's usually the opposite. Absolutely do the .x and .x.y updates, but when an i-device is about 4 years old, the annual iOS revision usually makes them slow down. Best case is that they don't get laggy, but they never get faster.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
IPads are cheap. The processors and displays in the last couple of generations are much faster. When I upgrade, I buy a used one that is two years old.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
For Christmas, my wife surprised me with a new iPad Pro with an M1 chip and a 12.9" screen. She got it as part of a deal with our cell phone carrier. It was very sweet of her. It's the fastest, newest... yada, yada, yada. I haven't used an iPad in years. I read books on my phone. I'd rather use a laptop or a desktop for most everything else. It's on a stand on my nightstand. I use it to watch movies and TV shows as a I fall asleep. That's really about it. I bought the light pen, but I haven't used it yet. I downloaded soft synths for fun, but I'd much rather mess around with those on my laptop or desktop.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos about this iPad. Apparently, it's very powerful, processor-wise, but Apple doesn't really let you exploit that power.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

Is it time to replace the iPad?...no..not until i get one​

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
At 7+ years old I replaced it. Got the 10:2” with 256 gig memory with cell and WiFi. Not bad. $609. If it lasts me 7+ years life will be good. It will be at Best Buy Sunday. No one has the cellular units in stock. Adding it to my cell plan is $14 per month. I’m used to that. Wanted the cellular.