1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it the guitar? The music? Both?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Roscoe295, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

I recently noted another post here where someone was trying to expand their musical horizons & learn more styles typically attributed to Teles.

I have recently found myself kind of doing the same.

It’s probably the fault of all of you (I’m probably spending too much time on TDPRI) - but I’m trying to focus on using my Squier Affinity (one guitar) to:
    1. Improve technique
    2. Learn new styles
    3. Try to get multiple sounds/tones from 1 guitar

I know this doesn’t sound earth shattering (and I’m certain this approach will change over time)... but I historically would pick up a guitar to play certain types of ‘music’.

Now I’m focused more on the ‘guitar’ & how I can use it to improve.

Just a mental shift for me - curious if this is a common approach for others.

PhredE likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm always looking to learn/play stuff that's outside my comfort zone, which is basic rock. Whether I'm successful at conquering different styles or not, I always seem to find a little something that I can incorporate into my 'native' style.

- D

PhredE likes this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

+1 all the above.

Just random comments in no apparent order.

Improving technique will pay you back regardless of the type/style of music you play. There's just no good reason to avoid improving it.

It is probably just as important in honing in on specific or certain 'tones', to 'work the amp' as much as the guitar and the tactile/technical things. Similarly, you can spend days/weeks/months 'dialing-in' your tone, but ultimately learning to play with what you have and to sound 'viable' in any style with that gear is probably a better use of your time. Many players fixate on gear, when lessons are a much better investment.

Listen to things you don't normally listen to, check out some sheet music/songbooks, online lessons/how-to's?/etc. If you're a rock guy, go listen to some jazz. If you're a jazz guy, listen to lots of country. If you're a country guy, go listen to some classical, etc. There's always something new and different to be learned by keeping the eyes open and horizons far and wide. Listening to different types of music will propel you to approaching the guitar just a bit differently -- hopefully, in a good way. Remember, when learning new stuff it's ok to mimic and copy.

Falling into a rut can be bad and inhibits growth. The fact that you're seeking something new and/or different is a good thing.

Just IME. YMMV.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

PhredE —-> on point.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.