Is it still...?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Is it still a boutique amp/pedal/device if it is no longer hand-wired & there is a seemingly endless supply of them? Or, would it be "boutique inspired"?

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Sooooooooo, you are asking for a definition of boutique? Isn't that like defining art?

I get your point - but I think everyone will draw that line differently.

3. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I used to think boutique was all about service and customer interaction, plus the ability to get things special or even bespoke. As “boutique” means shop, I don’t see how it applies unless you deal direct. “Indie builder”, yes, but “boutique” is stretching it for me. It’s important philosophical question: if you take the item out of the boutique, is it a boutique item? :D

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I see it similar to "salon quality" hair care products. Just because something is of the same quality doesn't necessarily make it the same. However, it is important to note that some brands are boutique brands but with products that aren't. Take something like a Suhr or whatever. It is a brand that started as boutique only, but as they grew, there are some models that aren't. Ormsby is another case. Some of the guitars are boutique, but others are production run models. So the brand is a boutique brand but the model isn't necessarily. Kind of like finding some salon brands in Target. Sure the brand is boutique, but they aren't going to sell the salon product at a lower price at Target, as it makes no business sense. They are simply trying to maximize the number of ways that they can gain revenue.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The essence of the meaning of boutique is ‘small’. Mass production disqualifies a maker from that distinction, it would seem to me.
    Handwired versus PCB? That is not a distinction. Quality of the PCB and the design along with quality of the build are distinctions that generally are noticeable in the comparison of mass production versus ‘boutique’ PCB.
    Here is an example of a change from true boutique to something other than boutique...although the change did not result in an ‘endless supply’, afaik. A friend around here was the originator of the Bad Bob pedal...each one handbuilt PCB construction. Very limited supply. He later sold the design to a larger concern. At that point, imho, the product stopped being boutique and became something that was more readily available.

Fwiw, I am old school and use the transformer shunt method. It is quicker...if the chassis is out, right?....than any other method and comparisons of the results reveal that it’s accuracy is on a par with any other method. I do not suggest that anyone use it unless they are comfortable with it....but I will observe that the transformer resistance method also involves taking measurements on a live circuit.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I think Mesa Boogie still markets (some of) their products as "boutique". That always seemed weird to me.

7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If we define boutique as a small custom manufacturer, I would think at some point if they are good and successful they become big enough to outgrow the term. At some point in time EH would have been defined as boutique by today's standards.

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I can't afford it … its boutique .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.