1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it safe to use XLR converters to connect a head to a cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tarnisher, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Would it be a bad idea to use a {female 1/4” to XLR converter} connected to a {male XLR to female 1/4”} to connect an amplifier head to a cab?

I know I could get a {female 1/4” to female 1/4” adapter} for $6, but I’m cheap and impatient.

Attached Files:

2. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I’m always afraid to run speaker-level signal through something designed for line-level or mic-level signals.

Doctorx33 and Paul G. like this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It will be fine. In my soundco days we ran 4-pin XLR's to biamped 2-way PA cabs every gig. This was to avoid running mid & sub freqs to the horn diaphram. In the days before Speakon connectors, we also used female to female XLRs on sub cabs to prevent air pressure from blowing the plug out of the jack because, after all, the L in XLR stands for locking. We kept line & speaker cables separate by using black shielded cable for signal cable, & grey unshielded cable for speakers. No muss, no fuss, no blown cabinets due to cross patching.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Ummm - the little adapters have transformers in them. The amp output power will likely burn that up, at which point the amp output will be unloaded - and then IT may burn up if it is a tube amp. If you were just using the wire from an XLR cable, ok. If you had an XLR output on the amp and XLR inputs on the speaker, you would be ok.

Doctorx33 and Tarnisher like this.
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

XLR is the stock connector on my 1967 VOX Super Berkeley III speaker cabinet. So, yes, XLR connection and not necessarily 'converter' if a transformer is involved. I wired my cable as a 4-wire braid (2 for + and 2 for -) going from 1/4" to the XLR.

6. Tarnisher

7. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

That should be straight through, so probably. Do you need a longer speaker cable? Is thst the problem?

8. Tarnisher

I’m using an attenuator, which has a female 1/4” jack for the speaker output. The amp is a combo, and the speaker has a short cable soldered to it with a male 1/4” plug that plugs into a female 1/4” jack in the head. But it’s not long enough to comfortably reach the attenuator, so I need an extension.

Another option is a female 1/4” to make 1/4” cable, but those are more expensive.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Tim S, 24 track and Tarnisher like this.
  10. Tarnisher

Thanks, that looks like the safest way to go, and now that the weekend is over I’m feeling more patient.

Chud likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.